Looking for Macchi Smoke ring camouflage photo’s and info ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

I know Mike grant did smoke ring decals for WW2 Macchi’s. But i think i remember seeing a masking set somewhere a few years ago for the smoke rings. Am i imagining or do they exist ? Im also looking for ideas on how to do the camouflage ? Honestly I'm just not that good to free hand airbrush the camouflage. Im also looking for photo’s for when i do build the kit. Thanks to everyone in advance ? 

Dennis

I am talking enamels here others may have some ideas for shooting acrylics.  Use the fine tip on your airbrush, thin the paint and use low pressure so you can move the brush slowly without causing runs. Remember spraying the green over the tan will not show as much overspray as say dark gray over light blue as the green and tan are fairly compatible in tone and that will hide some of the overspray, much like spraying a finer demarcation between dark earth and dark green, you can always go back and touch up.

Here are some photos, good luck on your build!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by pat d
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Using the search function at Scalemates web site, there does appear to have been paint masks created for smoke rings:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=smoke+ring*

Seems to be the same outfit that does Gator's Glue, but no actual products to place in a shopping cart on their site, have to email them for inquiries.  At least they are located in your backyard (USA):

http://www.gatorsmask.com/index.html

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

If you want to try decals, Tauromodel offers smoke rings in all 3 main scales.

I've used some similar Tauro decals in the past on a 1/72 MC.202 and they are ok but not great. as some pixelation is visible from close distance. Still, in 1/72 they are probably the best compromise if you can't paint them freehand. You can see the result on my model here:

I have the smoke rings in the decal stash but I've not used them yet. I should give them a try one of these days...

In 1/48 masks can be a more realistic solution. A little known producer is Scale-Pro from Brazil. They offer smoke rings masks in both 1/48 and 1/32 and these can be bought from their facebook page:

I never tried their products so can't comment first hand on what they are like. I have some memories of another producer of such masks but I can't remember which one.

I've considered cutting this kind of masks myself but I've never started drawing the design, so even if I started today it would take some time to get them completed

Regarding how to best paint the rings, I would suggest checking the thread by a different Giorgio on this same forum:

IMHO his representation of this camouflage scheme was extremely good.

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

IMHO his representation of this camouflage scheme was extremely good.

Thanks G. :) I have to say that, IMO, freehand airbrushing works well for that specific kind of smoke rings. Some schemes show more rounded, solid rings and the best way to represent them is probably with decals or brush painting them.

HTH

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Thanks G. :) I have to say that, IMO, freehand airbrushing works well for that specific kind of smoke rings. Some schemes show more rounded, solid rings and the best way to represent them is probably with decals or brush painting them.

HTH

You sir are by far way too modest, i will be using your build as a study guide for when i build my Macchi C.202.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You sir are by far way too modest, i will be using your build as a study guide for when i build my Macchi C.202.  

Thanks Dennis :) But I wasn't being modest, I'm actually quite proud about how they came out on my model :D , I just think I wouldn't be able to do what, instead, @MeneMene demonstrated that can be done.

Feel free to use any ideas from my build, if they are of any help I'll be more than happy :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1