1/10 Rocket racoons & Groot

Brundledonk

My daughter is a fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and last year I found a baby Groot figure in the bargain bin at Asda and gave that a bit of a tart up and gave it to her as a stocking filler for Christmas and she loved it 

here's before 

47472973751_6370ba7d7a_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

and after a lick of paint

47420044712_9906689d6f_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickrand

I wanted to do something similar this year and I found a cheap bust of Groot with a figure of Rocky for cheap on ebay, the sculpting isn't bad but the paint job is shocking but I'm reasonably handy with paint and a brush/airbrush so thought I could do something with them and pressed the buy it now button 

I wanted to get this done last week but she's been off school with a bug so I had to wait until she went back today before I could crack on and I've only got one more day to try and finish it as after tomorrow I have commitments that will keep my me away from the bench until possibly the new year so need to get my skates on

here's Groot at the start of play and whoever painted it at the factory must have done it after a liquid lunch ( look at his eyes ) he's got one at home and one away lol but aside from that he's a bit dark and a bit bland 

49158757297_07957c3da1_b.jpgGroot and rocket repaint before by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

and the back

49158761892_1f2354a2d4_b.jpgGroot and rocket repaint before by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I didn't strip or prime him and just gave him a wipe down with IPA after which I sprayed him with Tamiya flat earth and then in some spots with a bit of red brown added to the cup

49159692938_2d2962f155_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

and of course did the same deal on t'other side

49160408032_570a2aa199_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

next was to add Tamiya buff to the mix and I sprayed this on some edges and high spots, then army painter strong tone wash was applied to the recesses ( still wet in the pic and face not done at this point )

49159692923_5ffd2a9f59_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

49159693183_aa80111669_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

bit of a leap forward now as I was I  the groove and didn't want to stop to take pics, but what I did was keep adding the strong tone to the recesses details until I had the depth I needed to reinforce the detail, then I first drybrushed very lightly with Vallejo flat brown  followed by another go with some Vallejo red brown mixed in and finally gradually added Vallejo Ivory to make the highlight. All this was done extremely lightly and I've many passes with a very soft brush then I went back with strong tone and a fine brush and picked out any creases that were wiped out by the drybrushing. Eyes were painted Ivory and the pupils painted in with black and green and yellow was used to simulate the moss

all that's left to do is give it all a flat coat and gloss the eyes  

49160177766_7e864f9d5b_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

49158546236_c43cf2d603_b.jpgGroot repaint after by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

49158546226_fe5178c444_b.jpgGroot repaint after by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

• Like 7

I've taken Rocky apart ready for paint and you can see him in the background I  some of the above pics but I haven't started painting him yet and will get started in the morning and hopefully will have him finished by the end of the day and more importantly before my daughter gets home from school as I want to keep this as a surprise

Here's all the bits 

49160581321_83e80a36e5_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

I don't think he's quite as bad as Groot was but still not great, although I'm sure Rocket is in there and I just hope I can bring him over with a bit of paint 

49160098198_2ee957585f_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

Pete

• Like 6

Amazing i love the guardian films and rocket & big groot just make it, fantastic paint job and ypu have done them proud look forward to the rest of this tread. 

Edited by simontie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...