Yom Kippur War...1/48 Ilyushin Il-28 "Beagle", Egyptian Airforce

Reini78

Another beauty from your Dad’s workshop. I know I say this all the time, but your Dad really is a talented builder, and the quantity he builds seems to have no effect on the quality. 

Thanks for sharing with us, Reini!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

A lot of work going on there Reini. Good to see I'm not the only one that puts parts on the wrong way round. 🙂

Happens from time to time 😄 especially with chinese kit instructions...

1 hour ago, reini said:

@Reini78 Looking good so far!

Out of curiosity - is that green interior color 'Beagle' thing or 'Egyptian' thing? I'm not used to seeing russian planes with green cockpits :) 

Seems it is a Beagle thing

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950577-il-28-beagle-148-questions-hph-bobcat-related/page/3/

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Czechoslovakia-Air-Force/Ilyushin-Il-28RT/982082

http://maling1981.blogspot.com/2014/08/il-28t-beagle-sang-rajawali-laut.html

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t69163-il-28-c-est-parti

• Like 1

Complete landing gear in place, only wheels missing

49399371222_b8beff4bf5_b.jpgDSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

flaps and ailerons done

49399371012_0c77d42d90_b.jpgDSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

tailplane completed, all parts in place except the clear part

49398687493_d4cabd34f0_b.jpgDSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

The instructions call for 60g weight beeing put in the belly radome before mounting. The 60g seemed a bit much and at first we believed the model won´t need any noseweight. After adding all the rear parts it showed that you really need noseweight. The instructions are for the torpedo version which has a bigger radome. The normal bomber has a smaller one (included in the kit) and has no space for adding much weight. Therefore my dad put it into the bomb bay before closing it. He tested the amount first and in the end added 32g.

49398687253_57999ce505_b.jpgDSC_0004 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Like 8

primed the whole thing

Added the glass nose, fit is ok, but the edges of the clear part are kinda frayed. Try to fix that with some dissolved putty, let´s see..

49404972401_bc0bc17c19_b.jpgDSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

mounted the one-piece canopy for the moment and for painting the model

49404972141_78dbcddce4_b.jpgDSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

gonna add the 3-piece canopy afterwards

49404971881_ae5196ef35_b.jpgDSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Like 4

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

looks like a big beast!

for a second, I thought you painted the canopy......  :headbang:     - but only the spare one :)

Yes it is. I hope it survives all the touching and handling until the end without damage. My father used this canopy to protect the cockpit from paint. Easer than covering it with masks.

1 hour ago, Diego said:

Looks fantastic !!!

The sand color is spot on :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the green camo applied...:yikes:

Me too...my dad will have a lot of masking fun, especially with such a big model...

• Like 1

Very nice progress with your Iljushin Reini🙂

I've been building mine (a Finnish AF Il-28R) since the summer and it has been "challenging" to say the least. The clear parts are the worst I've ever seen. Did the nose glazing in your example require a lot of work?

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Very nice progress with your Iljushin Reini🙂

I've been building mine (a Finnish AF Il-28R) since the summer and it has been "challenging" to say the least. The clear parts are the worst I've ever seen. Did the nose glazing in your example require a lot of work?

Cheers,

One of the two provided glass noses was kinda streaky, dull. So my dad took the better looking one. As mentioned in a previous post, the fit to the fuselage was good, only the edges where the clear meats the fuselage had bad moulding and were like frayed. Used some filler around the joint area.

The window of the rear gunner and the canopy look and are more or less ok.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marklo said:

It’s a lovely build. Not too big a fan of modern jets but I’d definitely consider adding one to the collection now.

Modern jets?

Not really!

Very early jetbember builg a lot on WWII jet engine tec.!

Another masterpiece! Fantastic rendering of the desert camouflage:wub:  Simply lo-ve-ly!

Two of the Egyptian beagles given to Nigeria have been repainted in a pattern using the same colors, but adding a third (grey green) paint. One of them with blue undersurfaces, the other one with a wrap around camo pattern.

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

paintwork done

My dad uses Mr Paint paints now for a while and had no problems so far. Now he used MRP gloss clear for the first time, starting on the underside and the clear paint started to remove/wash away the blue MRP paint. Don´t know why or what happened. Dad then had to do some sanding and repainting and in the end used his trusted Gunze gloss clear.

49468406636_f2f9422c95_b.jpgDSC_0013 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

49468630902_21f0a910e5_b.jpgDSC_0014 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

49468406056_4cdaf5b11a_b.jpgDSC_0015 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

49467911103_20bf3630a2_b.jpgDSC_0016 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

49468629907_0ee44a5fa5_b.jpgDSC_0017 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Like 7