Another Victory Build

Finished the cannons on this deck at long last, Getting gun locks etch on was a bit fiddly but soon got the hang of it shame to paint them.

Now sorting out the size of the belaying pins. 

_MG_4286

• Like 4

Have had to thin down the belaying pin racks on Heller part 156-174-175 as they were to thick,

I have fitted 5mm brass belaying pins but will get 8mm to try as 5mm looks slightly small to me.

I have now been building a year now when I first started was thinking finish the hull in the summer and do the rigging in the winter.

Might be finished next year no rush.

_MG_4294

• Like 3

Thanks Lads for your comments I welcome constructive criticism as well. 

Decided to fit 8 mm belaying pins my source is a stock photo of Victory's deck 

top of them slightly long so might shorten them.

20330295540_2b7b0455ef_b

_MG_4300 _MG_4298

• Like 8

Great job! 

My HMS Victory Heller 1/100 is waiting in his box.

Some personal pictures took in 2015. Restauration was in progress, maybe it can help you..

Screenshot-2020-03-12-16-52-42-198.png

Screenshot-2020-03-12-16-53-04-677.png

Screenshot-2020-03-12-16-53-25-563.png

Screenshot-2020-03-12-16-54-15-930.png

Screenshot-2020-03-12-16-55-53-330.png

• Like 2

Thanks very nice pictures iceman the first one is where I’m at now. When you get the time building a Victory is very rewarding I started my blog to remind myself how much progress or not I have made. 

• Like 1

Have been spending my time fitting out this deck before fitting the poop deck wasn't entirely satisfied with the Heller steering wheel it looked to spindly. So got one from Cornwall Model Boats  had to assemble its an easy enough job to do.

Them buckets hanging from the poop deck with a crown and G R beneath in gold letters. That would  be nice reproduced as a transfer I certainly haven’t the skill to paint them on.

_MG_4303

_MG_4308

• Like 5

Iceman's picture came at the right time for work on the lantern.

I was going to make the chimney out of plastic. I decided it would better out of brass then I can include the boss at the base of the chimney, After that I turned another boss at the bottom to register in the hole in the lantern top.

Component parts

_MG_4315

_MG_4319

• Like 6

Now getting near to fitting all the decks in place.

Tied down the lantern using longer thread to ease knot tying, I used .040 square evergreen for the mouldings below the water buckets rounding off the face edge as photo.

_MG_4331

• Like 4

Building this model with etchparts from www.dafinismus.de › index_en

When I am building etch parts like lantern and skylight the etch really makes a difference good step by step instructions too.

Fitting the poop deck went well weighted it down with whatever came to hand and left it all night.

Have a problem with the stern have a bad moulding on part 351. Having sent a e mail to Heller last December got no reply then wrote a letter asking for a replacement part even translated into google French still nothing.

Has anyone had any luck with a similar problem.

_MG_4332

• Like 2

Hi Steve5

Yes Thats the address I used. I have a bad dip on the right side face of the man I have tried to build it up with little success.

Carrying on with parts for the decks got the stairs and Bannister's to the poop deck finished just marked out the various Hight's and lengths on paper got it right second go. 

_MG_4348

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got a present from Heller today my stern has arrived. I must admit I wasn’t holding my breath.

Thanks Lads for your comments I am nothing special at this sort of modelling just making as good a job as I can.

The Victory is a big box to have on a shelf there are shortcuts that don’t detract, Like having the gun ports closed on the lower deck.

I am building mine on a shelf that lives on the wall when I’m not working on it. 

I painted the bow decoration some time ago I need to pluck up the courage to fix the letters they could be tricky to get right so here they are started on the large ones first.

_MG_4365

_MG_4364

_MG_4350 (2)

Now for the smaller ones.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The shield went better than expected. At the start was trying to cut off letters from the etch right to size but found was leaving small bit to dress off, So I cut parts off parts with extra to cut then held down and snapped off with a sharp blade. Got so good I could place CU where the letter went and adj

Painting such a small part not an easy job to do I redone bits till I was satisfied still not perfect at this magnification.

Here it is.

_MG_4369

• Like 3

Soon after I started painting  my Victory I realised the paint was going on to thick Humbrol paints needed stirring especially after leaving for a Couple of weeks.

Got some  thinners to mix in that got better flow.

But needed to get better at painting for doing the stern lots of small places to get into and don’t forget I’m only brushing it on.

So here is the results of the first 4 coats of yellow.

Now I can make a start on the black.

_MG_4375

• Like 1

Painting the stern was particularly slow going.  It’s all about getting the paint at the right thickness to get it to flow. Can’t blame the tools as I had got new brushes for this.

Pleased it's came out so well that's the main stern done just have to glaze the windows and add eyelets to finish.

The side panels are work in progress sometimes it's nice to show some pieces half finished.

_MG_4386

_MG_4393

• Like 7

Fitting of the  stern is next.

After a few dry runs I found the  best way was to line it up from the back so lower it in at the bottom and get the edges equal then bring the top up mine had a slight resistance to it as I raised it all there was to do then is tape it up and leave it overnight.

Got the side gallery's finished and installed.

Just found Steve5 Victory post amazing work.

_MG_4398 _MG_4400 _MG_4404

• Like 6