Another Victory Build

On 16/11/2020 at 12:46, europapete said:

Nicely aligned there Jim, and yes, they are tiny. Glad to see you making cobstant progress on this, I just had ANOTHER weekend with no bench time 😕 Regards, Pete in RI

Hi Pete Let us know when you start posting your build

Ran into a problem with the stern letters to keep a even spacing 2 ended up mounted on the hinges that I didn't like so wanting to keep an even spacing I removed them.

These photos show the white better

Had no problems with the fitting cut off the number with a blade picked up with the blade spray mount the back and eased into position CU on the edge job done. 

_MG_4900 _MG_4909

• Like 5

That looks better, and probably what they did in life too. Will let you know when I start, won't be this weekend either, as we noticed this morning that the garden pond is almost empty, so must have sprung a leak overnight 🤔. Well, there goes my weekend bench time. 

Hi Pete There is always a Job to do somewhere.

Thanks Dave for your comment you are right.  I should have worked out a better spacing part of my problem is that I started at the bow where there is no impediment.

On to the jib boom Horses fitted these up quite a while ago and I was always pulling them down as thay would attach themselves to the jib boom.

So soaked them in a weak PVA solution hung some weighs and left overnight you can see the result in the pictures.

Topgallant shrouds are now in place slowly getting there.

_MG_4936

_MG_4939

_MG_4933

_MG_4937

• Like 5

So had a thought about spacing the draught marks on the stern bit late for me now!! 

Got out the height gauge and done some working out

The height of the numbers are .062in Starting from the top the fifth number down goes underneath the top hinge then the top of the next number down is .130in lower and so on.

That will give you 3 numbers between the hinges I am still old school with measuring so its in inches.

• Thanks 1

Finishing of the stays on the foremast as I was pulling down on the topgallant stay the mast started to lean back!!@#

But when I pull on it with my finger I am sure it will straighten  when I get the bowsprit stays on.

_MG_4981 _MG_4983

• Like 2

Hi Pete  Just had a look at your robe making machine ideal for the anchor ropes.

Main topgallant royal and  standing backstays finished adding to the maze of ropes  you cant put to much pressure on these as it easy distorts the mast.

Just the Mizzen stays to finish  

_MG_5038 _MG_5042

• Like 2

Thanks lads for your likes if you have comments please feel free.

Last stay on the mizzen is the  topgallant stay it starts on a ring on the aft channel right up to the top of the mast and down the other side.

The only thing was I had to put a ring on the channel and not a lot of room for it just got it on the curvy end bit.

Thats all the channel stays finished.

P1040860

• Like 2

Now I wasn't sure about including the flying jib traveller on the jibboom for the jib stay but I will give it a go.

From the ring it goes up and through  the mast tied to 2 blocks the rope drops down to the deck and belays. from the traveller it goes through 2 blocks and ties to a ring on the jib, The rope  then belays at the castle end.

bit of repainting needed here

_MG_5083 _MG_5081

have to sort out the belaying.

• Like 3

Got the jibboom stays in and thankfully it straightened the mizzen up that got bent back from the mizzen stays.

Attached the blocks on the traveller [ which will be wrapped]  for port and starboard travelling guys, had a bit of a job as there's not a lot of room

at the bow end for the hooks now I can think about getting the netting done.

_MG_5090 _MG_5088 _MG_5087

• Like 2

After many goes at tying a block to a mast sometimes it would go ok more often than not it would go wrong. After a bit of thought I came across  a solution, Problem was as the rope was tightened 

on the block it would turn.

So got a piece of softwood and fixed a pin to it and cut it off a little bit longer than the block, Fitted the block over the pin and then put another pin in the other hole in the block just enough to hold it than as it's being tightened on the loop no turning 

then put the other loop over the mast with dab of glue all fixed.

Here is the lower foremast with its blocks.

_MG_5114

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing with the bowsprit got the blocks and horses on the spritsail and the spritsail topsail and erected on the bowsprit.

According to Longridge the spritsail topsail was taken off after Trafalgar as I am not building my Victory to any date I have put it on picture soon.

The 3 jibboom guys run through thimbles on the spritsail quite easy to do drill the holes and use Dan's etch. 

_MG_5123 _MG_5125

_MG_5135

Another fiddly job was fitting the netting to the bow end.

After a bit of thought I decided to hang the front through rings in the head rails and then drill into the bulkhead for the rear then after gluing the oversized netting to the crossbar 

there involved a lot of offering up and cutting the netting to fit.

here is the nearly finished bowsprit.

_MG_5169 _MG_5178

• Like 2

Thanks Iceman and Beefy for your likes.

Slow but steady progress at the moment managed to get the braces for the Spritsails in place. Thay run back under the fore top and down to tie on the deck by the belfry.

For anyone that is new to building these ships I can recommend Rigging period ship models by Lennarth Peterson all is explained in detail drawings of the rigging.

Now going to concentrate getting the blocks on the Yards.

_MG_5189

_MG_5190

_MG_5191

• Like 4