Another Victory Build

Hi Pete Just noticed your post

I got the deadeyes from Caldercraft they were walnut and I painted them black thay fit Daffi's etch perfectly.

The kit ones have no grove in the side so thay would have to be glued to the channel irons inviting problems on rigging the shrouds maybe.

Hope this helps

No, not yet. Still gathering info and parts. Just about to finish reading "The Line Upon A Wind" by Noel Mostert. Great read about the sea war from 1793 to 1815. Covers the events leading up to Trafalgar and beyond very well. Am also perusing various model forums about the Heller kit build to get ideas etc, but Dan's site is the most detailed and informative. Moarein's build here is awesome too, I really like how he shows the step by step photo's.

Edited by europapete
additional comment
  • Like 1

I Have just finished Trafalgar by Alan Schom another good read. It's best to do research to get some ideas of how you approach your build a bit of tanatacy helps.

So sequence before shrouds and ratlines build up to lower mast then shrouds ratlines. Then top masts shrouds ratlines then stays ect.

Progress report Main mast ratlines taking shape.

_MG_4778 _MG_4783

• Like 2

What an amazing walk through of yet another fantastic 1/100 Victory build. Sadly, I also find it too scary for me so I think I'm going to sell off my unbuilt Heller kit along with all the extras I've bought for it as this kit is really far too much for my limited maritime modelling talents.

This really is a smashing model - tip top, and England Expects Every Victory Modeller to Do His Duty

NOOOOO!!!!!! It's not a difficult model to do, just a lot of it. Take it step by step, and use us all for questions and support, and you will have a model to be proud of. There is nothing scary about glueing bits of plastic together, and trying some new technique is fun and, well yes, challenging at times, but your sense of accomplishment when you succeed is fantastic. Please don't sell, give it a go. Regards, Pete in RI

• Like 1

Dan's sets arrived this afternoon. 6 days from Germany to RI, pretty good, Europe and the UK is normally about 10 days. I agree, Jim, these sets are AWESOME!!!! The packaging too, all in its own file folder???? WOW!! That is class. I have printed out the instructions from Dans' site and put each section into the back of each file page. It took a while to save up for the complete set including all the resin all at once, but was definately worth it. 

• Like 2

On 24/09/2020 at 17:58, Gimme Shelter said:

What an amazing walk through of yet another fantastic 1/100 Victory build. Sadly, I also find it too scary for me so I think I'm going to sell off my unbuilt Heller kit along with all the extras I've bought for it as this kit is really far too much for my limited maritime modelling talents.

This really is a smashing model - tip top, and England Expects Every Victory Modeller to Do His Duty

Think again you will be sorry if you let it go.

When you have the time do the build in stages it will make a fantastic model once finished.

I agree with Pete

Thanks Pete for the heads up on Dans thread don't get to much time to search the forums to eager to get on with my build will take a look. I bet you are eager to make a start now.

Mizen boom is very flimsy in plastic so cut of the boom drilled in the end and replaced with wood.

FINNISHED the ratlines on the main mast at last and put in the 3 standing backstays the 2nd one should be on a deadeye but for some reason I have it on a ring and hook.

_MG_4787 _MG_4788

• Like 4

Nice job on the mizzen boom Jim, will make a note of that improvement. Bet you are glad to get the ratlines finished, that took awhile. Yep, looking forward to getting started, but need to order some blocks and shapeways parts first. Regards, Pete

• Like 1

Ratlines not quite finished yet hope to have them done in the next couple of weeks.

On 24/09/2020 at 19:19, europapete said:

Jim...and GS, pop over to Dan's thread on model warships ( to victory and beyond), he has posted a very easy way to replicate the splicing of ropes. 

can you remember what page this was on.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the ratlines at long last hoping they will darken down with time.  Painted the crowns on the cathead {thay are very small} put them on my workbench to dry when I went to fit them one had disappeared?? Still searching.

Now thinking about all the eyebolts and cleats needed for the rigging and to fit them before it gets to crowded on board then it will be finishing off the stays.

_MG_4836 _MG_4839

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't spent much time lately on my Victory.

Have been trying to work out where all the ring bolts and cleats go before the deck gets to crowded Heller not much help,

There must be some cleats in the lower mast area I assume.

So blacked and fitted the stern chain left it over long to put a ring on the end for fitting to the rudder later.

_MG_4881

_MG_4880

• Like 5

Having so much to do on the Victory some jobs get over looked one is the Draught marks on the bow and stern so I will remedy this now.

Following Dan's instructions using spray mount to adjust and being ultra careful as these letters are small got the first set done.

Pleased with the result.

_MG_4898

• Like 3