Another Victory Build

@Jim Bates I really should stop looking at your progress. Many years ago, I built the Revell USS Constitution and I remember spending hours on the rigging, and your build is tempting me to do it, all over again. But I know I shouldn’t. Don’t I ?

Jon

• Like 1

On 15/04/2021 at 10:57, Faraway said:

@Jim Bates I really should stop looking at your progress. Many years ago, I built the Revell USS Constitution and I remember spending hours on the rigging, and your build is tempting me to do it, all over again. But I know I shouldn’t. Don’t I ?

Jon

Yes take the plunge with your experience you will easily do another sailing ship.

At the moment I am trying my hand at scratch building the rowing boats inspired by Moarein so that’s holding up progress on the Vic.

• Like 1

Got the main mast sails on to there respective yards getting quite good at it now.

Working from the back pass the thread through the sail under the yard then pass it through again tie a simple knot and glue.

Now thinking about building the small rowing boats from wood.

Had a idea to fill the kit boat with modelling clay and use that for the base for the boat.

This is the first try found out that you have to leave the clay in the mould for a day then leave it another 2 days to proper harden, Then cut a groove for the keel and build up the sides.

My first attempt I neglected to oil the mould so it got glued to part of the planks had to hack it out not a pretty sight.

Will start again.

P1040884 P1040887 P1040890 P1040894 P1040892

• Like 3

Nearly finished the 18 ft cutter the gunwales needed a lot of soaking to stop the wood from splitting at the prow, Useing 3mm strips for the outside planks.

Then rub down to 800 wet and dry 2 coats of Danish oil as you can see I have redone the duckboard as I thought the gaps were to big.

P1040906 P1040905 P1040904

• Like 5

For these boat's I have taken notes from Moarein's superb Victory build.

As you can see now have a production line going on.  

Have decided the best way is to release the boat from the mould as the planks are attached to stop the planks sticking to the mould.

P1040907 P1040910 P1040912

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Progress in the boat yard I have four of these rowing boats nearly finished now.

I would recommend anyone to have a go at making some of these for your model as these are a big improvement on the kit boats.  

As you will know if you have been following this is my first time at modelling a sailing ship and feeling quite pleased with the outcome.

P1040935 P1040937 P1040938 P1040945

• Like 6

Finished the small 18 ft cutter to give its proper name. Before I start on making the oars I had better get some more rigging done.

Not going to fit the boats in place until I have to.

Made a start on the main yard getting the truss pendants and main jeers erected note the pegs holding the ropes in tension.

P1040949

P1040951

P1040953

• Like 2

This is coming along really good Jim, great job on the boats. I pulled mine out of the stash today, and ordered a few more parts from Dan. The rigging blocks have arrived from HiS Model, and so has the Uni-thread for making ropes. Sooooo..........I really should get started. 

Hi Pete

Getting started is probably the hardest as you know your free time will be taken up for some time to come.

Will you be spraying ? if you can that’s the way to go if I can be of any help with problems please ask.

best off luck Jim

Edited by Jim Bates
Forget the start

Thanks Jim, yes, I will be using the airbrush to paint mostly. I will also be using your thread, Moarein's, and Dan's as my guides, plus the AOTS book, and the Anatomy of Nelson's Ships book. I have built some wooden sailing ship kits in the past and my main modelling focus is 1/32 WW1 aeroplanes, so rigging is not a problem. It will be my first time making ropes though. Am starting to experiment with that. Actually, with all these guides I doubt I will need the kit instructions, lol.

Edited by europapete
spelling

The Kit instructions are no help at all.

I found Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Peterson a great help in me understanding where all the rigging went.

Best of luck Jim

Well, all I can find is " The Neophyte Shipmodeller's Jackstay" by George Campbell. 1983 edition. It gives all the basics. I KNOW I had more, eg, Ship modellers handbook, the one you mentioned, and a few others. I do remember a box or two went missing during a move quite a few years ago, they were probably in one of those. I do have Longridge's Anatomy of Nelson's Ships,and the AOTS book, so am well covered. ALSO......I made a major milestone today, I have been playing with my Dormanoff rope making machine today and have successfully made my first length of rope. WHOOHOO!  I did a fine section of 3 strand, and will use it on the gun carriages. Hope you get plenty of bench time this weekend. Regards Pete in RI

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's brilliant about the ropes Longridge's book is a great help as well as this forum.

I have had no time to work on my Vic holidays ect same for the next couple of weeks hoping to get cracking after that. Jim

Hi Jim, hope you are well. More of Dan Fischers' parts have arrived. New anchors, float's, railings etc. 3D print this time, very nicely done. So, all I need to do is aquire some decking wood and the parts collection is pretty much complete. I cleared the bench this afternoon ( Wingnut Wings SE5a, a WW1 fighter ) and spread it all out. I think the first thing to do is to go over all the hull exterior parts and reduce the molded on woodgrain effect and remove the incorrect details. So, I guess this means I have officially started what will be a very long, multi-year build. I will take some photo's and start my own thread. The next big learning curve is how to post photo's on forums, as I am a complete computer idiot! lol. Regards, Pete in RI

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...