Another Victory Build

1 hour ago, europapete said:

Hi Jim, do you have the Anatomy of the ship book? Has nice sail plans. PM me if not

Yes I have and in my copy only one page is devoted to the sails great for bolt rope sizes.

Hi Jim, having just looked through my copies of anatomy and Longridge, there are no plans of sails. Sorry about that, I was mistaken. On the HiS Model website there is a page or two of "Instruction on how to use cloth sails" which describes how to add the sail ropes. There are sail plans in my Anatomy books of HMS Pandora and Bark Endeavor. I can copy those and send them to you if you wish.

Edited by europapete

_MG_5227

Not had a lot of time recently on the Vic and its now coming up to two years on the build hope to finish this year.

1st attempt at tying a sail to the lower yard not entirely happy but it does look better when its hanging.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some time so hoisted up the lower foremast and completed the truss pendants and jeers.

For the truss pendants I made up two bushes for the rope to run in not really necessary but a nice touch.

Now thinking I probably will have to drop the sail down to get to the various blocks.

_MG_5240 _MG_5236 _MG_5244 _MG_5241 _MG_5243

Next ropes to go on the foremast are the buntlines and leechlines the buntlines go through the double centre blocks and the leechlines go through the outer double blocks shareing with the spritsail braces.

Thay all run down the back and tie to the aft end of the forecastle by the belfry and a nice sight thay look.

_MG_5248

_MG_5246

Have had to redo some of the blocks as the rope had taken the wrong route on the lower foremast I noticed when I posted the last set of pictures,

Not an easy decision on my part as its very awkward due to the lack of space still all good now.  

Tying the sail to the mast I done two passes around the yard then tied a simple knot and glued to me looks more shipshape than one pass.

_MG_5249 _MG_5252

• Like 2

Hi Jim, sorry for not checking in for a while, it's springtime in the sports car buisness. Your progress is looking good, did you use the HisModel furled sail set? I have the full sail set. I saw just now on Moreins thread that he has fitted wood dowels inside the mast halves, that's a good idea I will use, should add a bit of rigidity. Will order the blocks set from HisModel this weekend, and any other parts needed. I have been playing with the rope machine from Dormanoff, a great piece of kit but has a learning curve! lol. Anywhoo, your Victory is becoming just that, a Victory! Well done! Regards, Pete in RI

• Like 1

Hi Pete Good thing to give the masts a bit of rigidity I used brass. I got the furled sails set from HisModel and very good to.

Strung up the parrals using the thickest thread that went through to keep them tight,

Then roped up the fore topsail yard with its blocks hoisting it in position,  These small pegs come in handy for various jobs.

Slow but steady progress

_MG_5255

_MG_5260

_MG_5261

• Like 1

Fitted the parrals used eleven ribs to complete. Then realised I had omitted the two single blocks that are fitted to the double block on the for topsail yard soon fitted them and roped them up.

Work in progress at coiling a rope.

_MG_5262

_MG_5264

• Like 1

It's amazing how complex these rigging systems become. Also how adept at creating them we become. I finally got the block sets ordered from HiS Model. Got the parrels too, and a set of brass gun barrels. Now to get some pear strips for the decks. If this keeps up, I will have run out of excuses about not starting! lol. What have you used for belaying pins? the kit ones or a/m? Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks Lads for your likes Hi Pete, Still collecting for your build ? looking forward to when you start.

For the belaying pins after trying various sizes and types I thought the brass ones looked the best overall thay are Art 32740 8mm.

You will have to rework the stands to get them to fit. 

Front View fitting lifts next.

_MG_5281 _MG_5274

Fore topgallant sheet and clueline fitted, Now I hadn't realised till having to fit these lines that the clueline went up and the sheet comes down all one rope.

Nearly finished  the foresail ropes and pleasantly surprised that the yards have taken the strain of the ropes without bending as I used the yards straight from the box.

P1040868

P1040870

• Like 2

On 08/04/2021 at 23:04, europapete said:

Thanks Jim, will get some. 

Hi Pete Look up page 3 on this thread to see how I went about fitting the belaying pins it might help.

P1040880 P1040879 P1040877 P1040873

Thanks lads for your likes 

Nearly finished the foremast I have been tensioning the ropes as I go in fitting the yards top yard has turned out bit high for harbour rig.  Started fitting the bolt ropes to the main mast sails

gone over to using PVA for the bolt ropes as I found that the super glue stained if some happened to get on the sail that's learning as I go.

• Like 5