Another Victory Build

Welcome aboard Bigdave Victory is a long term project the biggest hurdle is getting started. If you want inspiration look up Moarein's Victory.

Mizzen mast yards fitted with all there blocks have sent off for the sails have decided to show them furled.

Would it be best to fit the sails to the yards before fitting to the ship or would thay get in the way.

_MG_5193

• Like 5

Good job Jim! For sails - it is easier to install them first on the rails, then on the masts, starting from the bottom up.

Have you decided what the sails will be made of? I can help if you want. See my topic about Soleil Royal.

• Like 1

Morning All. Jim, I ordered the full sail set from HiS Model, they arrived here in RI in about 10 days IIRC, and are really nice. Moarein, do you have a link to your Soleil Royale? I have that kit in the stash also. Regards, Pete in RI.

Jim, with regard to the masts bending, do you think it would be worthwhile making them from wood or brass? How sturdy are the kit ones now you have rigged them? I ask because right now it would be easy for me to take the Anatomy of the Ship book and the kit masts to the machine shop and have them make up some masts and spars. Regards, Pete in RI

On 1/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, europapete said:

Morning All. Jim, I ordered the full sail set from HiS Model, they arrived here in RI in about 10 days IIRC, and are really nice. Moarein, do you have a link to your Soleil Royale? I have that kit in the stash also. Regards, Pete in RI.

Here is all process:

http://model.airgroup2000.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4774

Regards

On 16/01/2021 at 20:40, europapete said:

Jim, with regard to the masts bending, do you think it would be worthwhile making them from wood or brass? How sturdy are the kit ones now you have rigged them? I ask because right now it would be easy for me to take the Anatomy of the Ship book and the kit masts to the machine shop and have them make up some masts and spars. Regards, Pete in RI

Hi Pete Sorry for my late reply haven't visited the site for a few days.

The masts in the cavity's I filled with brass that works well, and for the very thin top masts I would recommend them being made from wood. I only done the Mizzen so had to be careful with the tension on the rigging should have done them all.

For the Bowsprit copy what I have done and bowsprit yards was quite happy as thay are in plastic.

The Spars I filled the cavity's with brass and the lower fore mast and Main mast added wood at the ends. All the rest I left plastic.

So its up to you I know some builders have made all the Yards from wood.

Have checked out Moarein Soleil Royale very impressed 

you are going to be busy in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Thanks to Europapete for pointing me in the right direction regarding splicing came in handy when doing the horses.

All the yards and booms are now brisling with there blocks. 

Have taken a bit of chance I was going to make the yards from wood but seeing how the bowsprit yards held up to it's rigging have decided to leave mostly as is.

Just careful work on the yards making sure all the horses were aliened to the front or back of the yard I have aliened mine to the back.

_MG_5200

• Like 2

Thanks Moarein waiting for the sails delivery in the meantime had a go at making the slings to hold the main and fore yard to the mast.  It has been ages since I added to the build

Good drawing in Longridge's book plan 8 so much detail on that page. That went so well I got the for yard in place but only temporary.

_MG_5202 _MG_5210

• Like 4

On 26/01/2021 at 08:30, Moarein said:

It's going well!
Have you already decided on a stand and a showcase?
For the showcase I can help you how to make it yourself.

I intend to have it on a stand and showcase, Is it hard to do it yourself?

1 hour ago, Jim Bates said:

I intend to have it on a stand and showcase, Is it hard to do it yourself?

It's not hard. You need glass - 5 mm thick, silicone, black tape, L-shaped profile for the frame.
It takes about 5-6 hours of work.

If you want I will upload pictures on my  showcases, to see how it is done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Bates said:

Yes Please

This showcase I made for my Bataiva - its around 50x25x40 cm
The large case is the same technology. 
First I glue the 4 glasses - 2 glasses for face and back, and 2 glasses for the sides, then I put the top glass.

You can use some template for 90 degree angle.

When the silicone is dry - must be cleaned. Boring procedure...

After this - I apply a black tape at the angles - to cover the silicon.

Then I put the frame - the glue is a silicone again. 
and because of the black tape - the silicon that You will use for the frame will be not seen :)

Its simple - but... boring...

P.S.: Be careful not to cut yourself! :)

96066530_10216898232476956_1619980484874

95518335_10216898232356953_3072853528952

95731044_10216916995106010_1742611507801

95903509_10216916995426018_5920972572018

95869257_10216916995026008_8687894334936

• 2 weeks later...

This is the rope called the peak halliard and it's tied the mizzen gaff.

It starts spliced at the end of the gaff and goes through a double block that it's tied to a eye bolt at the back of the mizzen cap,

Then back to a single block half way down the gaff then back to the double runs on down to the deck, through another single block tied to a ring on the deck then tied off to a cleat on the deck.

So I have to get all this in my head before starting. 

all pleasure.

_MG_5218

• Like 2

Sails have arrived there is not a lot of information on the various forums of how to go about fixing them especially harbour rig that's furled up loosely under the yard.

Totally forgot to order the bolt rope that goes around the sails before I can even start. Will have to have a good look at Moarein brilliant Soleil Royale.