Another Victory Build

Always wanted to make a model of  the  HMS Victory sailing ship after weighing up the pros and cons I decided on the Heller Victory the scale of 1/100 appeals not to big and large enough for small parts to be made.

Looking through the instructions it looked daunting for a first time  build.

I reasoned it out that breaking it down to sections at a time and learning as I go hopefully will complete it.

I resisted sticking the hull together as it’s easier to paint in two halves.

Found out about self adhesive copper tape only two thou thick it went on surprisingly easy and when rubbed in gave a good impression of copper plates. Left out the bow section copper until the two halves were together

I thickened up the gun ports with evergreen strip as the hull sides were notably far to thin in these areas

Wondered why Heller specified red for the lower deck why?

I decided to plank the lower decks with wood.

Recent Victory builds on various sites are a good source of information and inspiration for a novice.

victory-build.jpg

build2.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Jim Bates said:

Gidday Jim, good start with the model. I read many years ago that the insides of the gun decks were painted red so that during the carnage of battle the blood wouldn't show. I don't know if it true or not but considering Nelson's tactic of "going straight at 'em", lay alongside and then pound each other to matchsticks and gruel I wouldn't be surprised. On this happy note, Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

The planking went well so at last got the sides together.

In fitting the lower deck supports some were to small even after making sure I had the right ones? So  have to make up wooden ones they will be stronger-than the kit ones.

The lower deck was a tad oversize but soon  filed it down to fit.

Cannons next so made up only what I needed for the deck I was working on as there is quite a bit of repetitive work in them.

Started to paint the parts on the spruce but then found out the plastic should be unpainted before glueing all part of the learning curve!

Made up a small jig for the front wheels and sides of the cannons to keep things square.

Not sure the best way to secure the cannons to the decks as I didn’t want them coming lose once  the decks were buttoned up. So I used  Araldite maybe a bit over the top?

Having trouble uploading photos?

Edited by Jim Bates
Trying upload pictures
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim Bates said:

Not sure the best way to secure the cannons to the decks as I didn’t want them coming lose once  the decks were buttoned up. So I used  Araldite maybe a bit over the top?

Gidday Jim, to attach small parts to a deck (or bulkhead) I sometimes drill a small hole into the bottom of the part where it can't be seen, another hole in the deck under the part and join them with a short piece of thin styrene rod. This also makes painting easier if the part is to be a different colour to the deck. Paint them separately before attaching them. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

On 03/12/2019 at 03:03, Pak75 said:

Jim

Nice start.

Don't know about red - all interior photos of HMS victory show natural wood for decks or pale colours for walls, doors etc.

Nice yellow/ochre - what brand/colour is it?

Cheers

For the outside I am using Humbrol enamel 71 /33

Next I reinforced each of the masts with brass rod machined to fit into the mast  centres to stiffen them up  painting went well.

A Photo to show how its progressing.

I cant download image again?? I might have been trying to up load the full file in stead of my reduced one so here we are

spacer.png

• Like 8

Sent off for some blocks and rigging lines from www. HiSModel.com

And photo- etch from www.dafinismus.de/index

I must say this is first class photo etch it will bring out the best on my Victory

Next up made and fitted the channels and using Daffi photo etch for the channel irons. I tried to glueing  the irons with superglue at first but couldn’t get proper results.

So out came the soldering iron from the back of the shed that tested my skill as I haven’t had to solder for years after a shaky start soon got into the swing of it was quite pleased with the end result.

This is probably the hardest part of the build so far.

Counted up all the deadeys I would need and got them from Caldercraft fitted into the etch very well.

• Like 1

Cannons are a bit fiddly so,

Here is a picture of my jig for the cannons made out of scrap plastic,

This keeps the front wheels square to the cannon sides  so much easier.

spacer.png

Edited by Jim Bates
forgot tex
  • Like 4

Rudder is the next job I had painted and fitted the copper tape but I noticed that  2 of the dowels that the rudder hangs on had got broken,

So made 3 metal ones and pressed them into place also replacing the plastic holders in the stern post with eye bolts.

Also there was a large gap between rudder and stern post so filled that in using 015 x 080 evergreen strip that took three laminations on the rudder to fill the gap then redone the copper tape and the icing on the cake was fitting the chain holder that came with the etch.

Will not fit the chain till later into the build.

Having trouble uploading photos from Google cannot upload from CTRLQ. 

Back onto cannons these I shall fit with  the rigging hoist 2 eye bolts either side of the cannon and the blocks for the tackle.

Why did Heller add eyelets for the ropes on the lower deck cannons which no one sees but the cannons that are visible you have to fit them?

Pleased with eyelet for the rope at the back of the cannon, Experimented making these out of plastic ended up to flimsy so cut brass rings and stuck them on.

_MG_3168

• Like 3

On 12/10/2019 at 10:13 PM, Jim Bates said:

Thanks Colin  I was surprised how easy it was to fit now I am undecided weather or not to apply a clear varnish to it.

Probably help to stop it dulling over time, but as it's the real deal it might even look better then.

Most modellers reading this will have noticed the startling progress from the start of my account of this build till now. In fact I started this about 10h Months ago was going to start this build log at the same time but wanted to make something to look at and time went on  so fast forward a few months.

Early on I bought The Anatomy of Nelsons Ships' by C. Nepean Longridge and Noel Hackney’s HMS Victory although Hackney’s book details the Airfix kit the scale is near enough.

Both books are a good reference  for various sizes of blocks ropes etc and drawings of the rigging.

Wondered what the market this kit was aimed for as I am sure it’s two complicated for

a youngster first build.

Having not made any other kit like this is this the usual standard?

I would imagine the usual Joe starting and not finishing it. 

Still there are plenty of goodies to get from various suppliers to make a 1st class model

I am quickly catching up with the build at its present state.

On 02/12/2019 at 20:52, Jim Bates said:

It is sort of correct.

In my dim and distant past as a junior officer, I spent 2 periods appointed to HMS VICTORY and had a great time showing visitors around.  The Orlop deck was painted red because that was where the surgeon performed his surgery and the deck was thus painted to avoid showing the blood.

However, the Orlop deck is below the lower gun deck and below the waterline and so I would be pretty certain is not included in the Heller model

All other decks were natural oak; I can't remember the colours of the bulkheads.

• Like 2