Airfix Victor 1/72, A Slightly Tired Machine

Now this is something I have just not gotten around to posting up in RFI, I built this a few months ago and the other day I broke the IFR probe, repairing it prompted me to post this finally.

So, here is my Airfix Handley Page Victor B.2R (Blue Steel carrier). Weathered moderately, the V Force may have once been the pride of the RAF but I very much doubt they were paintshop shiny new every day.

6fc913d79fffa25e70b3809aabeea881.jpg

This model was difficult to photograph well due to the size, I hope I have done it well enough.

7cc72fb64a2700fc1ce0cae750435f22.jpg

348f5db9e8a2b6c039f7757c5dda257e.jpg

3942be5045b1f64a847b271e1af7f499.jpg

I will replace that nose probe when I build my next Victor (beginning of 2020 hopefully!) as a very early example of the B2, before IFR probes were added. Information people have on Victors of this era would be much appreciated.

1b3f146ab74eb3893e9a794618da49ff.jpg

Victor B2 as a Victor B1 takes off in the background. Someone with better Photoshop skills than me should attempt to Photoshop this into an airfield....

71dc0adc214d16b1c4cf42ebe0226553.jpg

XL512 from one of the angles from which the Victor looks best in my opinion. From this angle, the aircraft has such a very powerful look. Truely one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built.

Hopefully the next build will be of better quality, I have learnt a lot since I built this one. 

• Like 37

4 minutes ago, dbay133 said:

One of the nicest most evocative aircraft shapes ever to fly and superbly modelled.  I like the 'well used' finish.  Well presented.

Graeme

Thank you, I think on my third one (it's inevitable, come on) I'll do a very tired looking K2 in hemp. I imagine that would be very fun to weather. 

Maybe even a fourth so I can get one done in camo! That would be great to weather, I've seen some top quality results on camo models.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

Thank you, I think on my third one (it's inevitable, come on) I'll do a very tired looking K2 in hemp. I imagine that would be very fun to weather. 

Maybe even a fourth so I can get one done in camo! That would be great to weather, I've seen some top quality results on camo models.

Hang fire, you will end up building more than Handley Page!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, dbay133 said:

Hang fire, you will end up building more than Handley Page!

Maybe maybe 😂 what was it, 89 of them? Not too difficult, but I think it's far more likely that I'll outbuild Avro with Vulcans. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Maybe maybe 😂 what was it, 89 of them? Not too difficult, but I think it's far more likely that I'll outbuild Avro with Vulcans. 

I know build number is in the 80s. 

I have always been torn between the Vulcan and the Victor, two of the most beautiful birds to grace the skies.

I hope your 'hanger' is big enough to display them all.

Keep at it.

Edited by dbay133

12 minutes ago, dbay133 said:

I know build number is in the 80s. 

I have always been torn between the Vulcan and the Victor, two of the most beautiful birds to grace the skies.

I hope your 'hanger' is big enough to display them all.

Keep at it.

Ahh for me the Vulcan is the clear winner, but to be fair the Victor isn't that far behind! My favourite aircraft for sure, and the Victor is likely my second favourite. Both look incredibly menacing on the ground and graceful in the air.

I have room in my 'hanger' for certainly one more V Bomber in 1/72 at least, any more than that and I'm going to have to get creative. 

• Like 1

I reckon all-over white is among the most difficult aircraft colours to get right.

You have done an excellent job.

It looks realistic, avoiding a too-clean and stark look.

Nicely done!

👍

• Like 1

That looks interesting. You can never have too many Victors (or V bombers generally) in my view.

Actually, I've had another Victor project in mind similar lines to this one of your's for a while, but have no idea if/when I'll get round to doing it. And if I do do it, I have no idea where I'll put it!

• Thanks 1

Here's the WIP if anyone wants to read that thread

7 hours ago, kapam said:

I reckon all-over white is among the most difficult aircraft colours to get right.

You have done an excellent job.

It looks realistic, avoiding a too-clean and stark look.

Nicely done!

👍

Thank you, if there's one thing I don't like about painting white, it's the tendancy for very clean gloss white to look like a toy. 

36 minutes ago, Timmas said:

That looks interesting. You can never have too many Victors (or V bombers generally) in my view.

Actually, I've had another Victor project in mind similar lines to this one of your's for a while, but have no idea if/when I'll get round to doing it. And if I do do it, I have no idea where I'll put it!

Never enough Victors I think is more accurate 😂

I think now I've stopped worrying about where I'll put my models, I'll find somewhere. There's always the walls and ceilings if you can't fit more!

Edited by Adam Poultney

23 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely job with great weathering, makes model look much more interesting.

Wulfman

Thank you. I always like to weather, I find it quite fun. 

Might try to get my Vulcan B1a into a mostly finished state tonight. Perhaps even get it up on RFI. Just really the weathering might stop that because it's going to take a while. 

10 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Top V Bomber modelling there - smashing stuff

Thanks :) although I do see room for improvement in my next one. 

25 minutes ago, mdauben said:

Beautiful model of a beautiful bomber.  Even though I have no idea where I could display such a big model, I'm still tempted to build one!

Thank you! Generally any large, flat space will do, such as a dinner table or, if you want to mount it vertically, a wall.

Paint it in camouflage so you can sneak it past anyone who may complain at such good use of space.

• Haha 1

Looks like I'll be building at least 2 of these next year! I ave found a way to make room for an additional four 1/72 V Bombers at least. Currently I have space for four, so that brings me to a maximum of eight of them. One Valiant, three Victors (one stashed, another to order yet) and Four Vulcans (one old tool, three new tool) sounds good :) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ikea-Lack-Table-Black-Brown/dp/B0053XU7PM/ref=pd_bxgy_328_img_3/257-2977133-8065225?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0053XU7PM&pd_rd_r=fc320f2a-0183-48d4-852a-99e868fae7be&pd_rd_w=dWz4L&pd_rd_wg=veBeL&pf_rd_p=6f720012-7a84-4e92-a268-5ba72c1e4b52&pf_rd_r=7T0GW8BEGGWG7JSEHA03&psc=1&refRID=7T0GW8BEGGWG7JSEHA03

I have room for this! And approval to add yet more furniture to my room as I need. 90cm by 55cm, 2 layers. Perfect.