Boeing CF-189 Blue Whale (Italeri Boeing X32 - 1/72)

Hello happy folks,

Among all my 'serious' builts, I decided to have a bit of fun and do a quick built of a what-if plane.

The story is quite staight forward. In the early years of the 21st century, the Canadian Armed Forces were looking for a replacement to their ageing CF-188 Hornet. Due to budget restriction and higher reliability of modern engines, it was decided to select a single engine aircraft. So the Dassault Rafale, Boeing F-18E and Eurofighter Typhon were out of the game. That left Saab with its Super Gripen, Lockheed Martin with its X-35 and Boeing with the X-32. Considering previous experience with Boeing field support, the airframer guarantee that it fighter would enter service before the competition and a good discount (from non-official sources), the CAF opted for the newly named Boeing CF-189. Thanks to the fact that Canada was the sole launch customer, the development process was quite quick and the first squadron was declared operational in 2017. Fifteen years later, the CF-189, nick-named the "blue whale" thanks to its big-open-month-like-inlet is still the main fighter for the CAF and has demonstrated high reliability and operational flexibility. It is not rare to see them in various airshows all around the word under special livery schemes like the one designed for the 2032 International Air Tatoo.

The basis is Italeri Boeing X-32 in 1/72. Decals are from Belcher Bits. Colours are 'inspired' by Canadian CF-5 grape scheme.

The built is basically OOB with only the ejection seat harness added and some brake pipes.

Lot of masking tape was used....

Hope you like the result despite the poor quality of the pictures (it is difficult to get good natural light this period of the year)

Cheers,

Antoine

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 35

Great scheme, gives a totally new look to a retro kit, I once did one as a RAF 16sqn display machine in a gloss black scheme - great fun

• Like 1

An F-32 would have been a quite different looking bird than the X-32, had it been selected for production.

I am planning to model the X-32 one day though, as I have a softness for prototypes.

Nils

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Maverick231 said:

I've always liked this aircraft.

I got my built 1 out earlier as I'm building an F-35A then found this thread, what a coincidence!

Fantastic work and I love the special scheme.

I do find it has  more "character" compare to its competitor.

Looking forward to see tours.