RS models Do17

Adam Poultney

I am looking at getting an RS models Do17, specifically one of the E or F variants (probably F), to go alongside my ICM Z7 night fighter and ancient Airfix F model.

I can't really find much on the way of builds or reviews online, has anyone built the kit (including other variants) or has it in the stash to comment on it? 

I have the M in my stash, unstarted.  I'd describe it as looking nicely tooled, much like other RS models.  I have made their Ki.60 and Ki.78, also started the NA.64 which is giving me a few problems with the interiors but looks fine on the outside parts.  Obviously the Dornier is considerably larger and so possibly prone to other problems but none found yet; and I did buy the Ju.86P afterwards, so clearly not put off by anything.  It certainly looks neater and crisper than the ICM Do.215 when I compare them: the ICM kit I am a bit unhappy about and rather wish I hadn't bothered.

3 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I have the M in my stash, unstarted.  I'd describe it as looking nicely tooled, much like other RS models.  I have made their Ki.60 and Ki.78, also started the NA.64 which is giving me a few problems with the interiors but looks fine on the outside parts.  Obviously the Dornier is considerably larger and so possibly prone to other problems but none found yet; and I did buy the Ju.86P afterwards, so clearly not put off by anything.  It certainly looks neater and crisper than the ICM Do.215 when I compare them: the ICM kit I am a bit unhappy about and rather wish I hadn't bothered.

So you'd recommend RS Models kits general? 

I've found my ICM Do17Z-7 to be very good so far, aside from a few errors of my own making, is it the same base kit as the 215 you built? Why didn't you like it?

Generally yes.  Some of their older (very much older) kits aren't quite so nice, but I think that they are long gone now.  The qualification is that I haven't even started the larger kits.

Just looking at the ICM kit, the detail appears soggy and the canopies unclear.  I think it also received some criticism at the time, which may not read across to the 17Z which I think is slightly later.

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

So you'd recommend RS Models kits general? 

I have RS Models' Dewoitine D.520 and Avia B-135 in 1/72 - both are finely detailed and moulded kits with plenty of detail (the B-135 seems to be based in the old KP B-35 prototype kit but the quality is vastly improved). I would say the D.520 has better surface detail than the Hasegawa kit. Can't comment on fitting yet but in-box RS are solid offerings. 

I've hauled out the RS and ICM kits.  The ICM has a proper box, lid and bottom, and a fuller instructions sheet (definitely a weak point of the RS kit).  The overall appearance may be somewhat better than implied above, but having said that, I still prefer the RS.  It has fewer plastic parts than the other at the expense of more etched metal.  As this includes several large pieces associated with the radial engines, this is perhaps less of a problem. The cockpit interior is simpler on the RS, whereas the ICM looks to be almost as problematical as the Airfix 17Z, with the added problem of extremely fragile seat supports and far from ideal instructions.  One running problem with this kit is the fragility of the smaller parts, which are multiple.  There are many more parts to the ICM kit. I haven't counted them nor compared them to the metal in the RS kit, so just take that as an opinion.  I was rather put off by the provision of over thirty tiny MG15 cartridge drums, with the positioning for only one actually shown in the instructions.  This may however be influenced by the inclusion of extra guns and transparencies suitable for the recce version, except for the nose glazing.  Surely the night fighter gunner was provided with a few spares?  Perhaps the Airfix kit will provide ideas for this?

At the moment, I rather regret buying the ICM and on balance would now prefer the recce aircraft anyway.  Maybe I've a Falcon nose glazing that would fit. Something in the impressed builds with (never got) Swedish or Dutch colours and markings?  Either that or go away and read some more books about the night fighter.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I've hauled out the RS and ICM kits.  The ICM has a proper box, lid and bottom, and a fuller instructions sheet (definitely a weak point of the RS kit).  The overall appearance may be somewhat better than implied above, but having said that, I still prefer the RS.  It has fewer plastic parts than the other at the expense of more etched metal.  As this includes several large pieces associated with the radial engines, this is perhaps less of a problem. The cockpit interior is simpler on the RS, whereas the ICM looks to be almost as problematical as the Airfix 17Z, with the added problem of extremely fragile seat supports and far from ideal instructions.  One running problem with this kit is the fragility of the smaller parts, which are multiple.  There are many more parts to the ICM kit. I haven't counted them nor compared them to the metal in the RS kit, so just take that as an opinion.  I was rather put off by the provision of over thirty tiny MG15 cartridge drums, with the positioning for only one actually shown in the instructions.  This may however be influenced by the inclusion of extra guns and transparencies suitable for the recce version, except for the nose glazing.  Surely the night fighter gunner was provided with a few spares?  Perhaps the Airfix kit will provide ideas for this?

I actually quite like the ICM kit, although I broke one of the seats. I haven't heard of problems with the Airfix one, but then again I haven't really looked into that kit as the ICM is far easier to get hold of. 

I wouldn't have to deal with radials on an RS one though as I'd be building the earlier inline variants. 

FWIW, I think ICM has done two editions of the Do 215, fighter and recce versions. The original was about 10 years ago and then the kit was redone in the last 1-2 years when they also did the Do 17Z. The more recent version is superior including fewer fiddle parts as I recall.

Yes, the recent RS Do-17's and ICM Do-17 and Do-215  releases are new-tools and much superior to the originals. I have three of the old Monogram Do-17z kits, so will use seats and some of the other detail parts for my RS kits, as they are nicer than the RS kit parts. Definitely worth getting and building, and its such a pretty airplane, but especially the inline-engined versions.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Yes- stupid me! Will edit the incorrect information out- thanks, Graham...I guess I need that second cup of coffee!

Mike

Only a second? At least five cups should be good 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, 72modeler said:

Five cups of java and I would be vibrating like a Wellington with a prop blade on one engine shot up!

Mike

I managed to only have three today 😂 

After five I might just about be out of bed in the morning on most days!

• Haha 1