AVRO 671 MINIART 1/35

Thats lovely. I've got two on the go at the moment and hoping to get them finished off this week. Just one small thing - I thought the cabin door for the forward seat entrance slid up and down within the fuselage rather than opening out? If I'm wrong I'm going to have to make a few changes to mine. Nice build.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, petetasker said:

C'est adorable. J'en ai deux sur le coup pour le moment et j'espère les finir cette semaine. Juste une petite chose - je pensais que la porte de la cabine pour l’entrée du siège avant glissait de haut en bas dans le fuselage plutôt que de s’ouvrir? Si je me trompe, je vais devoir apporter quelques modifications à la mienne. Peut me voir frapper les références quand je rentre à la maison pour vérifier. Belle construction.

thank you, for the door I admit having just followed the assembly instructions, I will look if this door should be like that

• 4 weeks later...

I got one for Christmas... delicately moulded, 1/35 is close enough to 1/32 not t o bother me. 

Serials K4230 to K4239 and K4296 & K4775  were delivered between 1934 to 1935 and equipped the Army School of Co-operation at Old Sarum near Salisbury. 

Old Sarum is my local airfield and hosts the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection which also features Old Sarum airfield. I want to finish the A/C as it would have been at Old Sarum in early 1935. 

The big question is the finish...silver overall, or early upper surface camouflage. Does anyone know?

I'm searching for photos.....

On 26/12/2019 at 13:03, 224 Peter said:

I got one for Christmas... delicately moulded, 1/35 is close enough to 1/32 not t o bother me. 

Serials K4230 to K4239 and K4296 & K4775  were delivered between 1934 to 1935 and equipped the Army School of Co-operation at Old Sarum near Salisbury. 

Old Sarum is my local airfield and hosts the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection which also features Old Sarum airfield. I want to finish the A/C as it would have been at Old Sarum in early 1935. 

The big question is the finish...silver overall, or early upper surface camouflage. Does anyone know?

I'm searching for photos.....

Hello mate

All of the photographs I’ve seen suggest an overall silver dope with aluminium nose section. The shots of camouflaged aircraft all seem to be dated much later into the early 40’s. Peter Brookes book ‘Cierva Autogiros’ tells us that Rota’s only served with the School of Army Cooperation at Old Sarum until the outbreak of war.

Hope this helps

Pete

Pete, 

I think you are right.  Camouflage only arrived in  1939, and then for first line A/C.

They also all seem to have a roundel on the upper fuselage and no tail stripes. 

So, silver dope it is, with a pink/red dope bleed through linen on the inside! 

Quite why the kit instructions suggests white overall for the one that was used on a carrier for a while beats me! 

2 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Pete, 

I think you are right.  Camouflage only arrived in  1939, and then for first line A/C.

They also all seem to have a roundel on the upper fuselage and no tail stripes. 

So, silver dope it is, with a pink/red dope bleed through linen on the inside! 

Quite why the kit instructions suggests white overall for the one that was used on a carrier for a while beats me! 

The kit is absolutely lovely but Mini Art do seem to have let themselves down somewhat with their colour and serial research. Guess they’ve based the white scheme from black & white photographs? Good luck with the build.

The delicacy of the mouldings is impressive, it makes some of the big names efforts in larger scales look clumsy! 

I've found a photo of 3 in formation over Old Sarum, clearly in silver dope and aluminium. 

The question is "what colour are the rotor blades?" My guess is that they were canvas covered wood, so silver seems to make sense. 

Does anyone know for sure?

1 hour ago, 224 Peter said:

The delicacy of the mouldings is impressive, it makes some of the big names efforts in larger scales look clumsy! 

I've found a photo of 3 in formation over Old Sarum, clearly in silver dope and aluminium. 

The question is "what colour are the rotor blades?" My guess is that they were canvas covered wood, so silver seems to make sense. 

Does anyone know for sure?

The photographs of the early silver dope Rota's appear to have the same coloured rotors - Impossible to know for sure but the tones on the blades do seem to be the same as the airframe.