Airfix 1/35 M10 Tank Destroyer

Vaastav

On 12/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, Vaastav said:

Oh I see

Interestingly, I found an M10 Achilles (The british version with a 17 pdr instead of a 3 inch gun) in a Punjabi music video.

The video itself is shot in Chandigarh

The M10 can be seen between 2:10 and 2:15

Strewth Vaastav, blink and you miss it!

I’m sorry to hear of your grandmother’s passing; mine died in the middle of my first year of “A”-levels so I can understand the stresses you’re under.

I’ve recently acquired an Academy Achillesso, if I may, I’ll use your work as reference for my build.  I think you’ve got a good result from this kit, do you think you can find a crew to “set her off”?

3 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Strewth Vaastav, blink and you miss it!

I’m sorry to hear of your grandmother’s passing; mine died in the middle of my first year of “A”-levels so I can understand the stresses you’re under.

I’ve recently acquired an Academy Achillesso, if I may, I’ll use your work as reference for my build.  I think you’ve got a good result from this kit, do you think you can find a crew to “set her off”?

Finding a crew in India is rather difficult. I might try a bit of mix and match with the different figures that I have though.

Please do use this as a reference (other than the red hooks, those are purely an Indian painter's touch.)

Edited by Vaastav

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. Please accept my condolences.

Your M10 was looking very good last time seen. I look forward to seeing it weathered when you get chance.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

Being under lock down here in India I have had a lot of time on my hands and decided to weather the model. However I have never weathered before and therefore need guidance as to how to go about it. 

I have some weathering pigments etc. 

Looking forward to advice

Started off with the tracks today after getting sage advice from John (@Bullbasket) about how to go about it. 

Please give your opinions as this is my first time and any views/opinions would be useful. spacer.png

spacer.png

The top view, with the grubby paws of yours truly hogging the frame. 

On a side note, the M2's barrel broke of and flew to infinity and beyond, so I had to jury rig one out of wire

spacer.png

• Like 4

Your tracks are coming on fine :) 

I'm old fashioned when it comes to weathering; I use a wash of a complementary coloured ink (so green or sepia for overall green vehicles depending on theatre/season) then a little dry brushing in either a light version of the original colour or a similar shade (sand works well on lighter olive green, or the original green with a little yellow added for darker ones). Top that with a thin coat of the original colour to tie everything together and stop it looking too stark.  Add mud/dirt/dust to taste over that remembering that mud splatters up from the bottom and dust settles from the top and you can have both on the same vehicle (but don't have to have either). 

Hope that was vaguely useful and you have fun experimenting. 

Andy 

Spare track links were normally bolted in place, so I wouldn't use wire. Any stowage (ie, crew kit) you can fix in place and then tie it down with some very thin string. But if the sting is hairy, get some PVA glue on your fingers and run the string through them.

John.

• Thanks 1

Rust has been added. The effect looks a bit stark and I feel I may have gone overboard, but hopefully the final coat of paint will even it out. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Just one thing to bear in mind. Most rust that you see on WW2 armoured vehicles didn't come from the armour as such, but from the attachment points which were prone to knocks and therefore paint chips. So basically what I am saying is any rust that you would see would be streaks, running down from those points rather than a large spread of it.

HTH's.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Just one thing to bear in mind. Most rust that you see on WW2 armoured vehicles didn't come from the armour as such, but from the attachment points which were prone to knocks and therefore paint chips. So basically what I am saying is any rust that you would see would be streaks, running down from those points rather than a large spread of it.

HTH's.

John.

I will modify the rust treatment. Thanks for the tip

• Like 1

Update time. I reduced the rust and increased the dust (rhyme unintended) as well as doing some denting and muddying. I added a few sand bags as well. spacer.png

The fender was dented when the driver remembered his darling, and was so overcome that he ran into a rather solid wall. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Please give feedback and advice. Turret tomorrow. 

Stay safe... 

• Like 6

Final photo shoot was done today. The more observant might notice that the M1919 is missing. It broke off and went into oblivion after my younger brother knocked the turret off the table. 

Not a bad result for first time weathering... 

Please give feed back. Also please tell me whether I should post photos in this setting or in a white background for the RFI. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Vaastav said:

Also please tell me whether I should post photos in this setting or in a white background for the RFI. 

It's entirely up to you, but a white background makes the model stand out more.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice result well done

Roger

Thanks a lot. 

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

It's entirely up to you, but a white background makes the model stand out more.

John.

I see. Will post rfi tomorrow. 

Thanks to all for the advice, and guidance given. 

• Like 1

Hi @Vaastav that is a very nice model and, to my mind, looks perfectly OK.

I can't understand a word of the song but I really enjoyed it and the rather amusing video too. Must have been distracted as I didn't spot the tank until the third time around. I also know where one of my friends has been getting his 'style' from, he looks like the singer's Dad (or Grandfather) :D

About weathering I'd suggest having a look at the builds on BM and seeing what style you would like to try. Ask questions and most will be quite happy to advise. It's a very friendly forum here.

I hope everybody keeps safe in your beautiful country and we all get through these testing times.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Hi @Vaastav that is a very nice model and, to my mind, looks perfectly OK.

I can't understand a word of the song but I really enjoyed it and the rather amusing video too. Must have been distracted as I didn't spot the tank until the third time around. I also know where one of my friends has been getting his 'style' from, he looks like the singer's Dad (or Grandfather) :D

About weathering I'd suggest having a look at the builds on BM and seeing what style you would like to try. Ask questions and most will be quite happy to advise. It's a very friendly forum here.

I hope everybody keeps safe in your beautiful country and we all get through these testing times.

15 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Looks good on the outdoor shots. Your weathering matches the real soil colours very well.

Andy

15 hours ago, Gorby said:

Excellent work Vaastav.

I think it looks pretty good on the soil.

Thank you all for the encouragement and compliments. Stay safe and model away. 

• Like 2