P-40N, Hasegawa, 1/72

P-40N | 1/72 | Hasegawa

United States, 49th Fighter Group, 7th Fighter Squadron -- Lt. J.B. Paris, Pilot -- New Guinea, 1944

DYUzb0L.jpg

I finished this on November 27th, 2019. This is the P-40N flown by Lt. Joel B. Paris. I love P-40s, and this is the first 'N' model I've done. The 'N' was the last P-40 model made and is easily recognized by its distinctive "squared off" canopy behind the cockpit for better visibility. The 'N' model was also the most produced P-40 Model.

Joel B. Paris III volunteered for duty in 1942 and flew 167 combat missions in P-40s and P-38 in the Pacific. He had 9 confirmed victories and was decorated many times including the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross and Purple Heart.  He retired from the Air Force a Major General in 1970.

The kit was typical good quality Hasegawa, with no fit problems and nice external detail (although the cockpit is a little sparse). The kit provides the wrong wheels (the P-40N had a lighter landing gear than previous models, including a smaller diameter spoked wheel) and I had to buy some nice quality SBS resin replacements (oh... darn! :)  ). The kit also had an unfortunate seam right in the middle of the flaps on the underside of the aircraft, which were easily filled. The canopy didn't fit as well as I'd like and I am living with a gap at the bottom rather than try to trim it to fit because that could go very wrong.

WIP is here.  Special thanks to @Jackson Duvalier for introducing me to SBS resin wheels and alerting me that I missed filling in the flaps before it was too late! Also special thanks to @Corsairfoxfouruncle for providing me with info on interior colors. 

Paints:  Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer  >  Hataka RAF Dark Earth and RAF Dark Green topside > Mr. Color C306 (FS36270) Underside > Mr. Color White for the tail > Mr. Color White and Tamiya Royal Blue for the spinner.

Decals: Kit decals 

Weathering/Wear: Tamiya weathering pastels (black) > white oil paint dot filtering for sun fading > oil staining and dirt streaks with Black and Burnt Umber  watercolor Paints > Chips with Testors Chrome enamel applied with a spotter brush > Vallejo European Dust Dry pigment for dust on the wheels

eOtfEyk.jpg

qb257i8.jpg

VwtL7PE.jpg

blRCbHZ.jpg

9Cunq0N.jpg

uGbYdqz.jpg

FuqCoxs.jpg

LB1H1UC.jpg

HvxZKV9.jpg

Oz4fTAE.jpg

Thanks for looking! Questions, Comments and constructive criticism welcome!

Edited by opus999
  • Like 34

21 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

She turned out really well!  Glad you liked the wheel set.  

Thanks! I'm really pleased with it.  Love the wheel set too... In fact I was just looking at some others...

21 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Great work Opus - looks awesome 😎. This makes me want to do this kit 😀

Thank you!  Thanks also for for pointing me in the direction of the pigments...  You should do this kit!  After what I saw on your P-51, I'll bet you could really make this one look fantastic!

• Like 1

You've done a beautiful job with it!

I have the kit lurking in my stash, along with a few aftermarket goodies.

Your build is a nice inspiration for me to have a go at it!

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kapam said:

You've done a beautiful job with it!

I have the kit lurking in my stash, along with a few aftermarket goodies.

Your build is a nice inspiration for me to have a go at it!

:goodjob:

Thank you! The kit is a lot of fun and I highly recommend getting the correct wheels...