Spanish Hybrid HA-1109 K.1L in 1/48

Rich B

This maybe sacrilege to the Bf109 fans of the world. Starting with the Tamiya Bf109G-6, adding  the SBS Models resin HA-1109/1112 conversion to the box and shaking well will hopefully result in this unique hybrid.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The resin is well modeled and because of the way Tamiya engineered the G-6 there is minimum surgery. Unfortunately, the Hispano cannons, wing fences and rocket mounts aren't included with conversion. If you happen to have a spare Hobby Craft/Academy Buchon, the missing bits can be sourced from it. Decals are provided for two Spanish aircraft, 92-27 (an unarmed HA-1109 K-1L), 94-28 (fully armed HA-112 K-1L) and and two movie star aircraft in the markings of Hans-Joachim Marseille used in the film "Der Stern von Afrika".

spacer.png

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 9

Torn on this. So long as it’s in Spanish trim I like. But if it’s painted to look like a 109 e it’s a crime against humanity. 

Totally ruined the Battle of Britain and Dunkirk for me especially as a big budget movie like Dunkirk could have used CGI to make an E!

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 2

I'll be doing it in Spanish markings, 94-27 in it's unarmed configuration. I have seen a picture of it later in its career with the wings modified for the rocket rails but no gun installation. The color callout by SBS is for "Barrack Grey" which they portray as what looks to be RLM02 on their colour guide. From what I've read, Barrack grey covers a wide range of shades of grey (insert Fifty Shades of Grey jokes here 😁). A colour picture of 94-28 before its restoration shows it in a blue-grey colour, somewhat like a faded PRU Blue. I will try for a shade close to that.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 5

Yes it is. There is a bit of surgery to remove the upper fuselage panel molded as part of the kit windscreen and then the new upper cowl slides into the same slots. The lower wing/fuselage mating point will be cut away along panel lines to fit the new resin radiator assembly. This also replaces the panel for the centreline tank. The kit engine mount molded to the fuselage halves may not require removal as the resin cowls aren't molded solid. They aren't any thicker than the kit plastic.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 2

Hi Antonio. I took a closer look at a picture of 94-28 in a blue-grey colour. When I zoom in on the canopy, the frames are RLM63 as is the antenna mast. The blue-grey may have been a later scheme. Thinking my colour will be changing to RLM63.

I have started work on the kit. Cockpit parts and fuselage walls assembled and painted. There were a couple of bumps to shave off the right hand side below the cockpit and a maintenance panel to fill on the left upper fuselage behind the cockpit. The shoulder straps will go on once the fuselage is together and the aft cockpit deck is in place. The DB605 engine mount is still in place and may not need to be cut off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up is putting the fuselage together.

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Rich B
  • Like 4

Hi Rich,   HA-1109-K1L "Three blades" were  indeed RLM 63 while  HA-1112-M1L – Buchón "four blades"  were painted in RLM 24 blue, called Blue "Peugeot" by the Spanish, also used in  bf108 Taifun,  in this picture you can see together "Buchones"  and on the far right a  HA-1109-K1L behind the group of people  in different color.

45138177-863613677363962-386984800565801

1175524-573117082750279-1449510654-n.jpg

10580060-10205800181513650-3849561840355

great job on that cockpit , very interesting build, keep the good mate, cheers

Antonio

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

This weeks progress. Joined the fuselage halves and finished the cockpit. Cut the elevators away from the horizontal stabilizers and re-positioned them with a droop. Built up the wings configuring them in the all flaps down option in the kit. Here is the first deviation from the 109 path. The forward centre section needs to be cutout along panel lines. A little sanding to the wing and the resin radiator and it slips right in, all very painlessly. The wing and fuselage were mated, a very snug fit even after the mod. After all that. we have something that's beginning to look like an airplane.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in everyone.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 7

She is on her feet. For those who might undertake this conversion, don't put the new radiator in place until the main gear struts are installed or it will tak some trimming and sanding to get them into place.:banghead: I also cut the engine mount off . It makes fitting the new nose a little easier.

spacer.png

spacer.png

While working on the landing gear, I also painted and decals the rudder, the instrument panel and the new propeller. The new nose is nearly assembled, the exhausts and an air scoop to add.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nearing the end of assembly.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 9

The nose job was completed with minimal fuss. A little sanding to square up the mating surfaces and just a couple of small spots to fill. Then it was time for her overall coat of RLM63. Hopefully, decals will go on tomorrow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 11

Was about to start applying decals when I noticed there was only two large wing roundels on the sheet. A quick e-mail to SBS Model in Budapest and they will be sending me the missing decals. :thumbsup: So in a holding pattern to finish this build up.

While poking around their site, they are intending to release an armament kit (20mm cannons, rockets and wing fences) and are considering offering the conversion kit 1/72.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The pigeons, turtles, polar bears and whatever other conveyances postal systems use to move things around the world delivered the missing decals from SBS Models HQ in Budapest this week. They went on nicely and now waiting for the oil panel/weathering wash to dry before adding the remaining breaky off bits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 9