Later 1/72 Stukas

Adam Poultney

What's the best 1/72 later stuka? As in basically anything after the canopy was redesigned from what is represented in the Airfix kit to the more rounded version.

I see Zvezda have one out, which I believe to be the Italeri kit, and I was looking at that one. Is that any good?

Edited by Adam Poultney

The Zvezda  is the earlier Ju-87B and is a Zvezda original “snap-fit kit”. IMHO it is a good kit.

The Academy Ju-87D is probably the best in 1/72 scale, although it is slightly small in the nose section.

Wulfman

There was quite a discussion here a last year regarding the length of the later models (D&G)

According to quoted sources the nose of these is longer than the B/R versions, but... the discussion revolved around whether the engine actually was longer. AFAIR, the issue was not resolved 

As far as I can see, nothing of the fuselage was redesigned aft of the firewall other than the canopy.  Quick correction there because the main undercarriage is aft of the firewall.  Minor mods excepted, perhaps.

The problem with the length of the nose is that photographs show no sign of any lengthening other than the point on the spinner.  Someone did suggest that original drawings did agree with this statement, but never enlarged on this satisfactorily.  This becomes a bit like the arguments about the Hurricane's nose (Well, I can't see any difference) but without clear references on the airframe, any good engineering reason, and the agreement with official statements.  With the Stuka there's no visible sign, no good engineering reason, but...

16 hours ago, Wulfman said:

The Zvezda  is the earlier Ju-87B and is a Zvezda original “snap-fit kit”. IMHO it is a good kit.

The Academy Ju-87D is probably the best in 1/72 scale, although it is slightly small in the nose section.

Wulfman

Hi all,

Some years ago I compared Academy, Fujimi HobbyBoss and Italeri Stuka D/G kits and finally decided to built mine from the HobbyBoss with a resin interior for the Academy kit. I felt Academy looking a bit undernourished and Fujimi  Italeri a bit too fat. These two have also the infamous long nose syndrome. Accuracy-wise HB is 5 or so too long from the rear fuselage but that was easy to shorten. Other problem might be underwing stores for D model as the kit includes only the heavy anti-tank cannons.

About the lenght issue: Is the length of the Ju 87A? It had shorter nose and also narrower rudder. Could this be the reason for the different measurements?

Cheers,

AaCee

1 hour ago, AaCee26 said:

Some years ago I compared Academy, Fujimi HobbyBoss and Italeri Stuka D/G kits and finally decided to built mine from the HobbyBoss with a resin interior for the Academy kit. I felt Academy looking a bit undernourished and Fujimi  Italeri a bit too fat. These two have also the infamous long nose syndrome. 

Hang on: the only "short" nose that I know in that list is the Academy,   As I haven't seen the Hobby Boss or Italeri I can't say about them but whereas, the Fujimi is indeed a sufferer from "the famous long nose syndrome" but the Academy certainly isn't.

22 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Hang on: the only "short" nose that I know in that list is the Academy,   As I haven't seen the Hobby Boss or Italeri I can't say about them but whereas, the Fujimi is indeed a sufferer from "the famous long nose syndrome" but the Academy certainly isn't.

Hi Graham,

HobbyBoss has also short nose and it has also better shaped intake on the right side of the engine than Academy. They have put the extra length into the rear fuselage.... Italeri is long as well as Matchbox. I don't know about Frog G or Revell own D/G from the 1970's although I recall the latter called better than the Matchbox one at that time.

Cheers,

AaCee

Regrettably I had no time to visit London last year, but AFAIK there is one late Ju-87 exhibited at the RAF Hendon Museum.

Could anybody here try to measure (or at least to make an orthogonal photo) it's nose? It will surely help to end this Fujimi vs. Academy uncertainty.

Cheers

Michael