AIM Valiant decal query

wavodavo

Hi all,

I have a question, I've had a AIM 1/72 Vickers Valiant Conversion set for some time now but keep forgetting to ask this question. I've added a photo of the decals supplied and I'm a little confused on whether the serial number is printed white or whether it has been printed black on white decal paper? Other sets I've seen don't seem to have this

Any advice?

Dave

49153791168_fa05e552ed_k.jpgIMG_0785 by ravodavo, on Flickr

On 12/2/2019 at 8:36 PM, Dave Swindell said:

Pretty sure it's printed black on white decal paper, @tnuag should be able to confirm?

It does look like it. This photo from online shows how the decals should have come.

49169413701_6ee574bd16_h.jpgUntitled by ravodavo, on Flickr

On 12/2/2019 at 12:54 AM, NorthBayKid said:

Looks like they may have laser printed the black on a clear carrier, in which case you would need to paint the relevant area on the model white, then apply the black decal over it.  Kind of a strange way to do it.

So hard to tell.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, Julien said:

Its hard to tell from the picture. Is it continous film or are the decals individual?

It is hard to tell even on the flesh. It does look continuous to be and the the brand name printed again on top.

1 hour ago, wavodavo said:

It does look like it.

Just dug mine out, they're just like yours, they're white decal paper with black laser overprint, continuous film so you'll have to cut each design out separately.

You can tell it's white decal paper because the letters are white, but the paper is light blue.

I suspect the set shown on scalemates is an early set with Alps printed decals.

Easy way to tell:  Slice off a small corner of the black portion, soak it, and remove it from the carrier paper.  If it's white underneath there's white ink there.  If it's black (and the paper is white), then it's just black printed on clear.

• 1 month later...