Aoshima Nissan Gloria Gran Turismo SV '87

Pros:

It seems better than the Fujmii equivalent, especially the chassis - which whilst not great, is still better insofar as the Fujimi one has two solid axles and no steering. Fits together well, chrome sticker supplied, window masks and lots of decal choices included. Also includes a "low down" kit with brake discs and alternative suspension parts, not part of the (presumably) original issue of this kit, as they're on another sprue. Can be built as either Cedric or Gloria, the difference being the headlights, grille and rear lights. Not hard to adapt to other wheels.

Cons:

Curbside. "Low down" kit has no instructions whatsoever although they're not hard to work out. No windscreen wipers. Not a lot of detail underneath - possibly generic floorpan. Hollow seat backs that need filling. It's clearly a reissue of an older kit when motorisation and working headlights were the thing - so headlight detail behnid the glass is zero, just a recess for a tiny bulb.

Verdict:

It's OK. If you want a 1/24 Cedric or Gloria, get this one over the Fujimi one. It's not a great kit, nor is it terrible. It's good enough to build without any hacking about.

Build notes:

Changed the wheels to 18 inch Aoshima BBS DTM. Added depth to front lip. Added "VIP" style chrome extension to rear view mirror. Added carpets to interior. Colour is Tamiya TS-50 Mica blue sprayed twice over the top of a matt black undercoat, so it's a lot darker than the Tamiya can would normally be on grey. Clearcoated with Tamiya TS-13.

aoshima-nissan-gloria-gran-turismo-sv-87

aoshima-nissan-gloria-gran-turismo-sv-87

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

Not a lot wrong with the way that's turned out, even if the kit is a bit basic the end result still looks good. That colour in particular really suits it.

Is this one of those which are marketed something along the lines of "This kit was originally designed in the 1980s and may not be to the standard of a modern kit" etc? Main reason for asking is that I've got their Silvia which says the same thing, and I was wondering whether that "not to the standard of a modern kit" just means it's a little basic (it is!) or is more a case of it not going together well.

57 minutes ago, Spiny said:

just means it's a little basic (it is!) or is more a case of it not going together well.

I'm going to guess it's the "a little basic". I'm struggling to think if I've built any Aoshima kit that didn't go together well.

• Thanks 1

Nicely done the body colour really suits this car. I've built a couple of Aoshima kit's and think they are great value for money

Regards Andy

The only Aoshima kit I have started is one of their older 1/12th scale bike kits. The Suzuki GS400L twin from the '80s. It seems to be a good kit.

Only issue is the over-bright chrome!

I am encouraged by what havs been said about Aoshima kits.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Where did that D come from?