Airfix 1/72 Skyraider U.S.Navy.

Hi folk's,this is the first of a half dozen Airfix kit's I wanted to re-visit from builds I remember back around 1975-78,I was a big fan of carrier based

aircraft of the U.S. Navy and first built them as many were being released by Airfix.No weathering or effects just OOB in a clean finish reflecting

Airfix's box tops of the Palitoy era which after the superb artwork that adorned the boxes till then were less than inspiring,where possible I'm 

using original decals so a big thank you to Pete in Linc's and Alex Gordon for the sheets that made this one possible.I've got the rest of the kits

now so to come will be the Tomcat,Skyray,Corsair,Viking,Vigilante and Sea King.Thanks for taking the time to look.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235062397-airfix-nostalgia-builds/

20191201_160325

20191201_160421

20191201_160223

20191201_160415

20191201_160300

20191201_160210

20191201_160156

20191201_160147

• Like 43

Hi Steve,

gorgeous! These US Navy aircraft look great in their gaudy colors!

Never seen the old Airfix one though. I have the Fujimi Spad, that has the same paint scheme (and on the box art, they give the stripe as red.... no comment!).

Congrats on a job well done!!!

JR

• Like 1

Smashing job Steve. Love it. I never built this as a kid, but loved the box art.

I'm also looking to revisit some old Airfix classics. Maybe we could have a dedicated thread?

• Like 1

Lovely build which brings back memories. I built two when it came out, one similar to yours OOB and the other using Model decal set no. 9 for VA-176 with the Bee down the tail and either side of the spine.

Terry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IanC said:

Smashing job Steve. Love it. I never built this as a kid, but loved the box art.

I'm also looking to revisit some old Airfix classics. Maybe we could have a dedicated thread?

If the recent Airfix and Frog GB's are anything to go by there's a lot of love for these OOB clean builds of classic kits Ian.

• Like 1

The brings back a lot of memories. Didn't really know the Spad until Airfix released it and its an aircraft thats fascinated me ever since. Memory might be playing tricks but I think you could fold the wings even though they gave you no detailing to go with it.

• Like 1

Lovely work there.

I built one of those in the same timeframe you mentioned, done with tube glue and a hairy stick. Generally clean but for some absolutely filthy exhaust stains (I overdid them), and long gone now, alas.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Now that brings back memories. I remember it being a real pain to line up all the fins on the bombs properly. 

Thanks Mark,they're still a pain!

• Like 1