unusual P-47D photo

72modeler

OK, this one really piqued my curiosity! Note the very unusual blister on the sliding hood that I have never seen before, but the real interesting bit is the small opened panel and linkage/indicator of some sort on the upper surface of the wing, just forward of the wing flap. I don't recall a mechanical flap or landing gear indicator on the P-47. Does anybody know what this might be? It appears like it might be right above where the landing gear strut is mounted. Just curious!

Mike

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/p-47/365th-fighter-group-387-fs-p-47-thunderbolt/

• Like 2

for ease of discussion

365th_Fighter_Group_387_FS_P-47_Thunderb

10 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

, but the real interesting bit is the small opened panel and linkage/indicator of some sort on the upper surface of the wing, just forward of the wing flap. I don't recall a mechanical flap or landing gear indicator on the P-47. Does anybody know what this might be?

Something to do with the gun bays?

this cutaway

Republic-P-47-Thunderbolt-Cutaway-Drawin

has 171 - Flap door

The canopy is very interesting, and not seen that before. 

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

the real interesting bit is the small opened panel and linkage/indicator of some sort on the upper surface of the wing, just forward of the wing flap. I don't recall a mechanical flap or landing gear indicator on the P-47. Does anybody know what this might be?

It is a handle to lock/unlock the gun bay door at the rear, it is under a little door at the edge and it is red painted. There is another handle forward which lock/unlock the ammo bay door & gun bay door to remove it

spacer.png

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

That is an interesting oddball.  I've got a thing for Thunderbolts with Malcolm hoods, but that mod is a new one on me.  Looks like it could be a repurposed blister window intended for a B-24, there are non-standard metal strips where it's been mounted into or over the canopy frame.  My understanding is that Liberators so equipped were retrofitted post-production at some depot or other, so the blister window could have been in a supply chain accessible to this FG or squadron.

I'll have to check a razorback canopy against one of the blisters from a B-24 to see if the dimensions rule it out.

ETA:  The blisters in the Hasegawa B-24J kit (clear parts 4 and 5) fit vertically compared to the Tamiya Razorback canopy frames, but are a bit short to span both lower canopy frames; possible from a modelling standpoint if one is willing to do a little fettling to create a vacform master a little bit longer.

Edited by Jackson Duvalier

Im thinking its stationed on the continent, theyre in a bombed out hanger wearing winter clothing and there is snow on the ground. I think the bulged window is for the pilot to do ground attack or search and destroy missions. The window would allow him better viewing down from his seat while hunting for targets of opportunity in trees or other areas ? 

For what it's worth, and I am probably wrong, but I think the  photo I posted of the P-47D razorback with the blister on the hood shows a P-47D-23RE for two reasons: the D-23 was the first razorback block to have the Curtiss Electric paddle blade prop with asymmetrical blades; in addition, beginning with the D-20 block, Jugs were delivered in bare metal, and this one looks to me like it has been over painted, as the paint peeling from the wings doesn't appear to have primer underneath. As for the blister on the hood, I have no clue as to its purpose. Probably isn't a D-22, as they had HS paddle blade props, but bear in mind P-47's had all manner of prop swaps done during the war- the 5th ERS razorback P-47's being notorious for this.

I found this collection of photos while looking for more photos of the P-47D I posted; many are not new, but there are some very interesting ones, including a postwar formation with P-80's and a two-seat razorback P-47D from the same group as the P-47 with the blister hood. I hope you will find them of interest.

Mike

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/history/p-47-thunderbolt-utm_sourcepenultimate.html

• Thanks 1

A bit earlier than the aircraft under discussion, but I never knew until very recently that the original XP-47 had a "car-door" style of entrance on the port (left) side.  Did it actually fly with this or was the sliding hood incorporated before then ? :-

spacer.png

Dennis

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

Did it actually fly with this or was the sliding hood incorporated before then ? :-

The XP-47B was the only variant that had the car door canopy; production P-47B's had a sliding  canopy hood, according to the reference articles I examined. Partway through production, the fabric-covered control surfaces were replaced with metal; IIRC,  the XP-47B was lost when the tailwheel failed to retract and was set afire by hot exhaust gases from the supercharger, the fire burned off the fabric on the elevators causing the aircraft to be lost- the pilot, Lowry Brabham, baled out successfully.

Mike

• Thanks 2

Did anybody point to this P47 yet?

http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?132.290#post_9485

(scroll down a bit)

To me that canopy of Col. Cass S. Hough's P47 looks pretty similar.

Featured on flickr:

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

More on the pilot: http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/23169

Edited by Jochen Barett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The blister in the Cass Hough photo looks like a  much cleaner installation than the one in the photo I posted. Maybe the blisters allowed better observation to the sides and rear- helpful for squadron/group leaders or possibly for observing the drop tanks tests described  in the article linked by Jochen? Pretty neat-looking canopy mod, though!

Mike

@Jochen Barett- neat photo! Thanks for posting it and the linked article on Col. Hough.

1 hour ago, Jochen Barett said:

Col. Hough's Jug has a rear view mirror fitted above the windscreen while the Jug in Post #1 doesn't.

Chris

10 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

Did anybody point to this P47 yet?

http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?132.290#post_9485

(scroll down a bit)

To me that canopy of Col. Cass S. Hough's P47 looks pretty similar.

Featured on flickr:

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

More on the pilot: http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/23169

Many thanks for posting that pic as I'm interested in it for another reason - the fellow is wearing a 2nd pattern Winter Combat Jacket or tanker jacket, a piece of kit meant for Armored Force personnel of the US Army, although there was limited use in some USAAF units. I'm always after photos of tankers in USAAF use so many thanks again.

On 12/3/2019 at 4:51 AM, sloegin57 said:

A bit earlier than the aircraft under discussion, but I never knew until very recently that the original XP-47 had a "car-door" style of entrance on the port (left) side.  Did it actually fly with this or was the sliding hood incorporated before then ? :-

spacer.png

Dennis

giphy.gif

• Haha 1