AIM-54 Phoenix colours

franky boy

Hello chaps

I’m currently building an F-14 in the markings of an aircraft from late 2001. I’m wondering what colours the Phoenix missiles should be painted? I’m using the Tamiya kit which calls for white bodies and XF-19 sky grey radomes.

The decal options for this kit all date from the 80’s with AIM-54a’s so would the missile marque and markings have changed by 2001?

Thanks

James

25 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

AIM-54Cs which would have been in use in 2001 would have grey bodies and white nose cones. Be sure to use the panels for the missiles with no 'bumps' on them - part Z10.

Thanks Dave, that's great info. Especially about which parts to use. I have some sanding to do!

Also would the Sparrow missiles be as per the instructions for colours or did these change to?

Thanks again

James

Fins on the AIM-7s were titanium color. Radomes are an egg shell color vs pure white. I believe there was a white plastic cover on the rocket motor nozzle as well. Better check photos on that though. Cant tell you anything about AIM 54s as I’m former USAFer. Oh, the gray on these missiles in 36375. That applies to all US air to air stuff at that point.