Air tanks - AM Store section 6D specifically.

OneEighthBit

All,

After a visit to Middle Wallop to meet up with @Aeronut and crawl all over their Horsa's I've been trying to get some clarification on pneumatic air tanks used on WWII RAF Aircraft.  Generally it seems like there's two common size in use - 29.5" and 23.5" which equates to (if my math is correct) to about 874 cu/in and 675 cu/in respectively. The low pressure tank used in the Horsa Mk.I was even smaller being ~18.5"/500 cu/in

What I'm curious is the markings for these. I've seen the same tanks in various aircraft, the same size with varying max psi pressures (200, 300, 450) and different stores/ref numbers.

Two examples:

* Middle Wallop Horsa tank is 29.5", marked as 300psi max and 6D/242 4027/32.

* Cosford Lincoln tank is 29.5", marked at 450psi and 6D/AHO427 issue 13.

* Old Dunlop 29.5" tank marked at 200psi and 401?

* Hurricane AP1564 shows a tank of 620cu/in rated 300psi as AHO2196

My guess is that in the case of the Horsa and Lincoln it's the same tank due to the common Dunlop AHO number and 6D corresponds with the AM. Stores Ref for Aircraft Gaseous Apparatus.  Unfortunately my copy of AP1086 is from the 60's and only covers the later Type F and Type E tanks.

So I guess my question is:

* Does anyone have a wartime/early-post war edition of AP1086 or AP 2337?

* Can you possibly provide me with the 6D/ reference numbers for the different Cylinder gas, compressed air types?

* Any specific details from AP2337 would help.

* Any reference photos of wartime compressed air tanks with markings would be useful.

Edited by OneEighthBit

23 hours ago, OneEighthBit said:

All,

After a visit to Middle Wallop to meet up with @Aeronut and crawl all over their Horsa's I've been trying to get some clarification on pneumatic air tanks used on WWII RAF Aircraft.  Generally it seems like there's two common size in use - 29.5" and 23.5" which equates to (if my math is correct) to about 874 cu/in and 675 cu/in respectively. The low pressure tank used in the Horsa Mk.I was even smaller being ~18.5"/500 cu/in

What I'm curious is the markings for these. I've seen the same tanks in various aircraft, the same size with varying max psi pressures (200, 300, 450) and different stores/ref numbers.

Two examples:

* Middle Wallop Horsa tank is 29.5", marked as 300psi max and 6D/242 4027/32.

* Cosford Lincoln tank is 29.5", marked at 450psi and 6D/AHO427 issue 13.

* Old Dunlop 29.5" tank marked at 200psi and 401?

* Hurricane AP1564 shows a tank of 620cu/in rated 300psi as AHO2196

My guess is that in the case of the Horsa and Lincoln it's the same tank due to the common Dunlop AHO number and 6D corresponds with the AM. Stores Ref for Aircraft Gaseous Apparatus.  Unfortunately my copy of AP1086 is from the 60's and only covers the later Type F and Type E tanks.

So I guess my question is:

* Does anyone have a wartime/early-post war edition of AP1086 or AP 2337?

* Can you possibly provide me with the 6D/ reference numbers for the different Cylinder gas, compressed air types?

* Any specific details from AP2337 would help.

* Any reference photos of wartime compressed air tanks with markings would be useful.

Try the RAF museum archive.  If anyone has a copy they are probably the ones!

Selwyn