French Fancy 2 GB - Poll Closed and the results are in!!

Wez

Two weeks in and we have 55 build threads - thanks everyone and good luck to you all!

I'd love to see some maritime subjects in this GB, anyone up for it?

I am going to join in but first a quick question.  I'm going to build these two little beauties 

resized_806349ae-fb3c-4f95-905a-a0724ee2

although different manufacturers they are very similar in construction. Is it OK to build them as a pair in the same thread?  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 825 said:

I am going to join in but first a quick question.  I'm going to build these two little beauties 

resized_806349ae-fb3c-4f95-905a-a0724ee2

although different manufacturers they are very similar in construction. Is it OK to build them as a pair in the same thread?  

Whilst I'd prefer to see two separate build threads, I have allowed a thread with two Cuadron racers in it (albeit by the same manufacturer and both are sub-marks of the other), so in a way I'm hoisted by my own pétard (French word meaning petard).

I'll leave it to your better judgement.

On 28/07/2021 at 01:48, stevehnz said:

I'm still keen to do a Mistral but it's looking as though it will be Armee de l'Air, I've been unable to find any references for Aeronavale operated Mistrals, the kit scheme is actually correct for a Mk 5 Vampire not a Mistral as far as I can see, searching has shown up nothing of Mistrals in Aeronavale schemes so unless someone has a reference source that confirms the dark blue scheme for a Mistral it looks like the kit scheme for a Armee de l'Air one in Algeria in the late 50s will have to do the job. :unsure:

Steve.

Good morning Steve 

It looks like that the Aeronavale operated the Vampire and not the Mistral when the Armée de l'Air operated both the Vampire and the Mistral 

https://www.defense.gouv.fr/marine/operations/forces/aeronautique-navale/escadrilles/escadrille-57s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Vampire#France

On Master 194 you can find  a build thread of the SH Vampire of the Aeronavale  

https://master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117226

Best Regards 

Patrice 

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Steve 

It looks like that the Aeronavale operated the Vampire and not the Mistral when the Armée de l'Air operated both the Vampire and the Mistral 

Hi Patrice, thanks for those links, they pretty much confirm what I had come to believe, such a shame that Heller had it wrong all this time, even though it is a subtle difference, I think the shorter larger jet pipe give the Mistral a stronger stance. I have a Eurodecals sheet with the 57.S marking on it, there might well be a Vampire in dark blue to appear one yet., I think it is a super scheme.

Steve.

14 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Patrice, thanks for those links, they pretty much confirm what I had come to believe, such a shame that Heller had it wrong all this time, even though it is a subtle difference, I think the shorter larger jet pipe give the Mistral a stronger stance. I have a Eurodecals sheet with the 57.S marking on it, there might well be a Vampire in dark blue to appear one yet., I think it is a super scheme.

Steve.

I agree with you but when Heller made that mistake many years ago modellers were less picky about the veracity of the markings ..

A Vampire in Dark blue is a great scheme ..

I can recommend you the SH Kit , it is a very nice kit ..

Best Regards 

Patrice 

• Like 1

I concur w/ Patrice on the SH Vampire.  I built one a couple years ago for a Blitzbuild I believe.  An enjoyable build that I don't recall running into any notable issues with.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2021 at 15:09, helios16v said:

I concur w/ Patrice on the SH Vampire.  I built one a couple years ago for a Blitzbuild I believe.  An enjoyable build that I don't recall running into any notable issues with.

It does have very thick trailing edges, particularly noticeable compared to the Heller kit.  Nothing insurmountable but be prepared for some work.  I have a stalled build somewhere, I used a steel rule to scrape the excess off quickly but in a controlled manner (I'd seen my metal bashing colleagues do this when de-burring sheet metal).

I have my first kit lined up for this (Heller Mirage 2000N), but won't start it until four weeks from now, until some other GBs have finished. By then, I should have a better idea of what the most popular subjects are (which I would prefer to avoid). The Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) MS 406 is short-listed though, as I bought it for this GB. Also the Heller Gazelle (Airfix tooling with extra sprue for anti-tank version). I am contemplating the Academy MS 502 (Storch with a French radial engine), the Hobby Boss Jaguar E, the Heller Sherman M4A2, and many other kits besides.

Edited by klr
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, klr said:

I have my first kit lined up for this (Heller Mirage 2000N), but won't start it until four weeks from now, until some other GBs have finished. By then, I should have a better idea of what the most popular subjects are (which I would prefer to avoid). The Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) MS 406 is short-listed though, as I bought it for this GB. Also the Heller Gazelle (Airfix tooling with extra sprue for anti-tank version). I am contemplating the Academy MS 502 (Storch with a French radial engine), the Hobby Boss Jaguar E, the Heller Sherman M4a2, and many other kits besides.

Great list of potential subjects, whatever you come up with from that will be great.

See you when you're ready to start.

• Like 1

Just dropping in to say I will be here with a build at some point, I haven't abandoned you :) 

I just need to clear the decks of half built kits then have a week away in Devon to wind down a bit from work :) 

It'll be a Peugeot rally car definitely, either a 205 T16, a 206 or a 309 maxi, but I'll choose when I start depending on time constraints 

Hopefully it'll be the 205 though as that is a Heller kit which would be a double whammy  :)

Ian :) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

The Heller range of cars were / are really great, I've nearly bought some of the older Peugeots off evilbay but have managed to resist so far !

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat

It does look nice kit, but I think it might cry out for a bit of extra detailing with the open back on the engine bay etc, so depending on when I get chance to start is whether I can finish it in time for the GB. Otherwise if time is tight I'll probably go with the Tamiya 206 as I've built one before and it's a great kit of known fit etc, so would be quicker.

I won't know until I get some spare time, I've had it on order for ages, just not got here yet 🤣

Ian :) 

• Haha 1

4 weeks into the GB and we have 76 build threads, plenty of time to start your build if you're thinking of joining us or you're not making much progress (my builds progress at tectonic plate spreading - the Atlantic plate, not the East Pacific Rise boundary for those who know about these things).

Thanks to all that have joined us.

• Like 1

I believe that when I originally signed up for this GB, pre bun-fight, my intention was to build a SPAD.  With most of my stash still buried deep in storage, it looked like I would have to give it a miss.  That is until the postman delivered this:

51372099565_4970097859_b.jpg

It will be out of the box, no PE and the box top version.  Relatively quick and easy, a good lead back into modelling after my house move, and I can have some fun with hairspray and chipping on the cowling!  I haven’t yet built a biplane this year so it will be a nice change of pace from the modern stuff I’ve being doing lately.

I’ll start a build thread soon.

AW

• Like 3

After 3 months of procrastination due to lack of mojo I’m going to give this a go … not sure what with yet but possibly either a Caudron C455 Goéland, Dassault Flamant or SO-1221 Djin - I’ll get a build thread set up once I decide……. I may also look at doing a figure but we’ll see how it goes

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Dean Whiston said:

After 3 months of procrastination due to lack of mojo I’m going to give this a go … not sure what with yet but possibly either a Caudron C455 Goéland, Dassault Flamant or SO-1221 Djin - I’ll get a build thread set up once I decide……. I may also look at doing a figure but we’ll see how it goes

Dean, 

Sorry to hear about your lack of mojo, I know the feeling, it happens to me a lot.

Whatever you choose we'll be glad to have you along.

11 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

Question time is the airbus company considered to be French as I know parts are made elsewhere and then put together in France as I have the revell A300 beluga I am itching to build. 

7 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

@Wez will have the final say but personally I'd treat Airbus as recognisably French myself...

Whilst not all the parts are made in France or indeed designed there,  Airbus is inextricably linked to Toulouse, it's where the final assembly is done, a lot of my colleagues have worked there at one time or another.  You'd be surprised how many other aircraft are made the same way, with major assemblies being made in one country but drought together in another, in the case of the Beluga, the major project team was based in France.

I think we can let this one in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the Lakes for a couple of days so no modelling til I’m back, but to maintain Frenchness I am kipping in the back of my Citroën Berlingo and watching Spiral on iPlayer (it’s very good!)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I’m in the Lakes for a couple of days so no modelling til I’m back, but to maintain Frenchness I am kipping in the back of my Citroën Berlingo and watching Spiral on iPlayer (it’s very good!)

Good man, I need to watch Spiral, I started but...

Just going over the photo’s of the D.520 Im planning on building. I am curious did the free french or Vichy use theater I.D. Markings besides the yellow/red stripes. Particularly on top of the wings ? I have a few photo’s that show a stripe on the overall Buff/Blue aircraft. Unfortunately cant open post these. However if anyone wants I can D/M these showing what Im talking about ? 

Dennis

@Wez, @JOCKNEY, @Jasonb13, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, Could I join in with a Revell Nieuport 28? Seems like an upgrade to the 11's and 17's with parallel interplane struts rather than the 'V's. There should be time to finish this tiny one.

1m94D7g.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2