French Fancy 2 GB - Poll Closed and the results are in!!

Wez

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

For me, it's going to be like the Heller GB never went away!

I'll be digging out a few of the kits that didn't get done for that one.  I had better get cracking on my current GB builds first though.

To think that when the GB calendar was posted ages ago, I thought there was only going to be a couple that interested me enough to join in. How wrong can you get?

Well Tony, I did think that would be the case, glad you've got something lined up.

12 hours ago, Wez said:

As it was only a paper design I'm afraid I'm going to have to say no, not for this GB however it would be very welcome in the What If IV GB which you've already signed up for but there's plenty of room for others to do so.

Bah you're no fun 😭 Oh well, still have several other interesting options for the GB.

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

Bah you're no fun 😭

In this instance I believe firm but fair (having already said no to one what if).

1 hour ago, Mig Eater said:

Oh well, still have several other interesting options for the GB.

That's good news!  Looking forwards to what you've got to show us.

11 hours ago, MsModeller said:

Thought I'd put my name down for this - just want to confirm I'll take part?

You did and I missed it (I went back several pages to check), sorry about that.

Thanks for joining us!

Anyone else going to join us on the 14th?

So, got another kit for this. Surfing the web is bad for your wallet 🤣

Can you guess what it is yet?

Biggest. check

Late to the party. Check

National pride. Check

Total disaster. Check

A mystery ending. Check

Paul

• Like 1

Count me in, as long as French armour is OK.

Ive been needing an excuse to build something French from the stash.

Decisions decisions

Resin Planet Models ARL-44 (I blame Girls und Panzer for this purchase)

Heller AMX 30

Heller Somua S 35

RPM Hotchkiss H35

Trumpter Char B1 bis

or the Heller M4A2 Sherman Division Leclerc all in 1/72nd of course

extra brownie points for a Heller kit?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, diases said:

Biggest. check

Late to the party. Check

National pride. Check

Total disaster. Check

A mystery ending. Check

Paul

I'm curious now...

6 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Count me in, as long as French armour is OK.

Of course!

Ive been needing an excuse to build something French from the stash.

Then this is the GB for you my friend!

Resin Planet Models ARL-44 (I blame Girls und Panzer for this purchase)

Heller AMX 30

Heller Somua S 35

RPM Hotchkiss H35

Trumpter Char B1 bis

or the Heller M4A2 Sherman Division Leclerc all in 1/72nd of course

Great choices, the ARL-44 would be unusual...

extra brownie points for a Heller kit?

Bien sûr!

Welcome to the GB.

Room for more and I'm still on the look out for another co-host.

15 hours ago, diases said:

Biggest. check

Late to the party. Check

National pride. Check

Total disaster. Check

A mystery ending. Check

Sounds like a Char 2C..?
One of the Biggest tanks ever built.
Designed during WW1 but not built until the 1920's
Each tank was named after a different region of France.
Only ever used in propaganda moves & never fired a shot in anger.
The French say that they were destroyed by their crews to avoid capture, the Germans claimed that they were destroyed by Ju-87 dive bombers.  

18 hours ago, diases said:

Biggest. check

Late to the party. Check

National pride. Check

Total disaster. Check

A mystery ending. Check

Paul

Surcouf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_submarine_Surcouf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

if I build the aircraft named "Le Grand Charles"

Yes Patrice, it's already been asked in the thread, "Le Grand Charles" is inextricably linked with Pierre Closterman so yes.

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Surcouf

We had a Surcouf last time but it's a fascinating subject so I'd be pleased to see it again.

For those that don't know about the Surcouf may I recommend Mr Drachinifel's excellent 5-minute guide on the submarine (although this one is actually 10 minutes).

Just over a week to go folks, time to dust off those decals, retrieve the research material and find the kit!

Your genial hosts will be myself, @JOCKNEY, @Jasonb13 and @Corsairfoxfouruncle although if anyone else feels like joining the team we'll be grateful as we're gonna be busy!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Sounds like a Char 2C..?
One of the Biggest tanks ever built.
Designed during WW1 but not built until the 1920's
Each tank was named after a different region of France.
Only ever used in propaganda moves & never fired a shot in anger.
The French say that they were destroyed by their crews to avoid capture, the Germans claimed that they were destroyed by Ju-87 dive bombers.  

We have a winner.

69 T of metal, crew of 12.

To give you a idea of size, the hull is 30cm long and 8cm wide in 1/35 scale. 

The mystery surrounds 1 tank. 

They were being moved to a safer location by train, but were caught up in a train traffic jam due to a burning fuel train.

Unfortunately, the train stopped on a bend, so the tanks couldn't be off-loaded(they had dedicated transport bogie's), and it was decided to destroy them rather than let the Germans capture them.

Out of the 6 that were on the train, 5 were destroyed, but Champagne (99?) explosives failed to detonate and was captured.

This tank was transported to Berlin  where it was displayed as a war trophy.

The others were used as target practice to test German anti tank gun effectiveness.

But here's the mystery, it is supposed to have been captured by the Red Army and shipped to Russia, but has never been seen since.

It's believed to still exist, but kept hidden from view, as it would probably cause a international incident due to the French wanting it back.

cheers for looking

Paul

• Like 3

Thanks for the reminder @Wez, I'd kinIa forgotten I'd volunteered. First time co-hosting so will appreciate any support/advice.

I'll probably be late starting this one myself, am finishing the Unarmed GB first!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks @Wez

Trying not to get too excited as I have unfinished builds all over the place but I'm planning on throwing the kitchen sink at this one so watch this space !

Cheers Pat 

I know what you mean Pat, I suffered a bit of a work/life/loss of mojo issue over the past couple of months but I'm aiming to overcome that with this GB.

5 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks for the reminder @Wez, I'd kinIa forgotten I'd volunteered. First time co-hosting so will appreciate any support/advice.

I'll probably be late starting this one myself, am finishing the Unarmed GB first!

No worries Jason, start when you're ready.  Co-hosting duties shouldn't be too onerous at the beginning, it should just be a case of welcoming the members to the GB, making sure their entry is eligible and encouraging people.  The main thing is that it shouldn't interfere with your own builds.

One week to go and to help you with your choices, here's a bit of guidance on subject eligibility:

1.  Anything made in France no matter where its used is good.

2.  Anything wearing French markings military or civil is also good, the markings have to be distinctive and readily identifiable as French.

3.  French units embedded in other nations forces such as the Normandie-Niemen units in the Soviet Air Force are eligible or those squadrons in RAF service that wore French roundels, they would be eligible too.

4.  If you're thinking of building an aircraft used by a French person in another nation's force that wasn't distinctively French, it's not eligible unless it can absolutely pinned to a French user, Pierre Clostermann's Tempest V "Le Grand Charles" is an example of what is eligible.

5.  Racing cars, in the previous French Fancy GB we used the two out of three rule.  If any two of the driver, major sponsor, constructor/engine were French, it was deemed eligible, so Alain Prost driving a Williams-Renault is OK, Damon Hill driving a Williams-Renault isn't.  A Ligier qualifies under rule 1.

You've got plenty of choice, I hope to see figures, ships, submarines, trucks, bicycles as well as AFV's, cars and of course aircraft in the GB, it was a pretty diverse one last time and there's no reason for it not to be so this time.

Just out of curiosity, and the old English joy of hair-splitting, would a Halifax from the French-Canadian squadron (Alouette) do?  Would you include modified diecasts? I have a minimally-modified (upper wing roundels and extra guns) Elvington Halifax and am planning on working on another post war one.  When I open it up and remove the dorsal turret, pannier, already prepared, that is, but definitely not in time for this thread.

16 hours ago, Wez said:

Yes Patrice, it's already been asked in the thread, "Le Grand Charles" is inextricably linked with Pierre Closterman so yes.

Good afternoon Wez

Thank you very much ..

Best Regards

Patrice

I thought I had signed up for this maybe not can't remember . But I did vote for it . So I like would to join with something 

Martin H

• Thanks 1

Oho!  Another cracker....Oh boy...or should I say, "Oh, garçon!"

What to do?  I will comb the stash.  Since we have a while for this one too...Jettish, and WW1 come to mind.  And something in-between!

--John

• Like 1

Just been notified that my Gashapon Helldivers from F-toys have arrived and I have a handy sheet of French decals for these - so that might be my entry.

Just got to decide whether to base them on the Arromanches or one of the wooden decked ex-US ccarriers..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Just out of curiosity, and the old English joy of hair-splitting, would a Halifax from the French-Canadian squadron (Alouette) do?  Would you include modified diecasts? I have a minimally-modified (upper wing roundels and extra guns) Elvington Halifax and am planning on working on another post war one.  When I open it up and remove the dorsal turret, pannier, already prepared, that is, but definitely not in time for this thread.

First question is Graham, does it wear French roundels, if so yes, if not no.

A modified diecast, hadn't given that any thought, mainly because of the 25% rule but I'd be interested to see modification and so I'd also be interested to see what the collective thought.

4 hours ago, Grandboof said:

I thought I had signed up for this maybe not can't remember . But I did vote for it . So I like would to join with something 

Martin H

Martin, your name is now on the list, thanks for voting for us and thanks for signing up.

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Oho!  Another cracker....Oh boy...or should I say, "Oh, garçon!"

What to do?  I will comb the stash.  Since we have a while for this one too...Jettish, and WW1 come to mind.  And something in-between!

--John

Spad VII or a Thunderstreak John?

54 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Just been notified that my Gashapon Helldivers from F-toys have arrived and I have a handy sheet of French decals for these - so that might be my entry.

Just got to decide whether to base them on the Arromanches or one of the wooden decked ex-US ccarriers..

A lot of the Helldivers were also shore based in Indochina, great choice of subject BTW.

So what do you think about modified diecasts then folks?

There's still room for more in this GB!