French Fancy 2 GB - Poll Closed and the results are in!!

Wez

On 01/06/2021 at 08:21, Tim_DEFR said:

Well if that's not the perfect excuse to rip open my Nieuport 17 then what is? Happy to join you guys! 

Best,

Tim

Tim, the perfect subject, welcome along, you just have to wait until Fête Nationale before you start.

Room for more.

If it's French made, it's welcome.

Licensed built French designs are also welcome.

If it's French used, it's in.

If it's wearing French markings, it's eligible!

Come and join us on the 14th of July.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have much that is eligible but I guess I might chance my arm with the Eastern Express Nieuport 11 and the ex Heller Caudron C 714 though that might end up in Finnish markings as the roundels are out of register.

Pete

• Thanks 1

I don't know whether I said I was joining this or not? I was able to Blitz the stash during the recent Heller GB and made almost all of my French planes. I didn't make the LeO 451 at the time and have bought the Les Mureaux kit since then so please count me in. I'll finally get to build the biggest Smer kit I've had for the longest time.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 21:19, PeterB said:

Don't have much that is eligible but I guess I might chance my arm with the Eastern Express Nieuport 11 and the ex Heller Caudron C 714 though that might end up in Finnish markings as the roundels are out of register.

Pete

Excellent choices in whichever markings you choose!  Name added to the list.

On 14/06/2021 at 14:10, Richard Tucker said:

I don't know whether I said I was joining this or not? I was able to Blitz the stash during the recent Heller GB and made almost all of my French planes. I didn't make the LeO 451 at the time and have bought the Les Mureaux kit since then so please count me in. I'll finally get to build the biggest Smer kit I've had for the longest time.

You had signed up and two very good subjects too!  Name not added to the list again.

16 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

Good excuse to build this, then?

spacer.png

As if an excuse were needed, such a lovely looking aeroplane.  Your name has been added to the list.

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent choice, Im going for a 1/72 Hasegawa version. I was going to do the plane based in Syria in 1942 wearing the overall Buff camouflage

It's another good kit and an interesting choice of colour scheme.

Anyone else want to play?

If it's French made, it's welcome.

If it's French used, it's in.

Come and join us on the 14th of July.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I’ve decided to do a French Fw190 (as an NC.900), does anyone have a good steer on the green used as the overall covering? Were stocks of German paint used or were they to French spec?

Trevor

44 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

As I’ve decided to do a French Fw190 (as an NC.900), does anyone have a good steer on the green used as the overall covering? Were stocks of German paint used or were they to French spec?

Trevor

Could be French, could be German could even be RAF, don't forget that the French aircraft industry was dragging itself off of the floor, they would likely have used whatever was available.

In the absence of any definitive information you could challenge people to prove otherwise whatever paint you use.

Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 may be able to sound out the French forums, what do you reckon Patrice?

15 hours ago, Wez said:

Could be French, could be German could even be RAF, don't forget that the French aircraft industry was dragging itself off of the floor, they would likely have used whatever was available.

In the absence of any definitive information you could challenge people to prove otherwise whatever paint you use.

Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 may be able to sound out the French forums, what do you reckon Patrice?

Good afternoon Wez and Trevor 

I will ask the question on the forum Master194 and I will keep you informed as soon as I have an answer ..

Best regards 

Patrice 

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

Good afternonn  Trevor 

If you read French you will find interesting information in this book

http://aerostories.celeonet.fr/~aerobiblio/article3988.html

https://www.scalemates.com/books/du-focke-wulf-190-au-nc-900-histoire-laviation-28-rene-bouvier-belleville-et-philippe-couderchon--118289#

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Thanks for that Patrice, reading the preview section available here, I can't ascertain whether the colours were French, German or whatever, but I did glean that they were painted in a khaki green but it was poorly applied and wore prematurely, some aircraft were repainted in a beige grey.

14 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

It seems to be one of those no-one can prove you right or wrong questions......

I’ll keep looking.

Trevor

Good morning Trevor 
This is what a member of the Forum Master 194 told me after reading the book I mentionned erlier :
"Well, moving forward in the reading, it appears that the first aircraft were painted in dark olive green , origin painting not described, several in khaki with a yellow border, the last aircraft were painted in RLM 02 from a stock coming from the factory of Cravant."

I hope that it will help you ..

Patrice 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Trevor 
This is what a member of the Forum Master 194 told me after reading the book I mentionned erlier :
"Well, moving forward in the reading, it appears that the first aircraft were painted in dark olive green , origin painting not described, several in khaki with a yellow border, the last aircraft were painted in RLM 02 from a stock coming from the factory of Cravant."

I hope that it will help you ..

Patrice 

Thank you both, that’s very helpful 👍

Trevor

• Like 1

22 hours ago, diases said:

Can I play.

Walrus with French navy markings, and spad XIII.

Looking for a 2CV to rust up as well, but need to source a kit for it

Cheers

Paul

Of course you can, it would be great to see the Walrus in some different markings, the SPAD just howls WW.I French and the 2CV, well that would be very welcome!

Thanks for signing up.

It's not too late to join, so if you have:

Something French made, it's welcome.

Used by the French, it's in.

Come and join us on the 14th of July

What's the ruling on WHIF schemes of French built equipment?  I've got an old Heller 1/72 Super Etendard with decals that have gone to hell and are most likely unserviceable, so I was contemplating raiding the spares bin.  It should make for a fairly quick/simple build I might actually be able to sneak in.  Worst case I could always just build it w/o markings in the correct scheme.

I'd love to build my HAF Mirage 2000-5, but I doubt I'll have the time to weasel that one in.  A fair bit of work will end up going into that one.  Too much work and too many other hobbies coupled w/ too many other excellent GB subjects this year.

20 minutes ago, helios16v said:

What's the ruling on WHIF schemes of French built equipment? 

I think there's enough variety available in this GB to exclude WHIF's in this one (you could use it for your entry in the What If IV GB you've already signed up for).

You could put out a begging bowl for some spare Super Etendard markings.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I've got an old Heller 1/72 Super Etendard with decals that have gone to hell and are most likely unserviceable,

There are alternatives available, although they are both special schemes.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SAM72001?result-token=sSgfd

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BER72005?result-token=sSgfd

On 6/14/2021 at 6:19 AM, PeterB said:

Pete

Hello Pete

If I pull my finger out and find that Etendard IV I promised you that should solve your eligibility “problem”.  

I think it’s in the “Northern” “Stash” and I’ll be travelling up there on Sunday for a week and a bit (scheduling in a Pfizer jab sometime during my stay) so if I don’t turn into a Pfizer Zombie (which will depend on whether “I am Legend” is a fictional Movie or  an accurate Documentary!) I’ll make the time to have a look and let you know. 

Best Regards 

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I just realized if I hold off on my F-100 build, I can enter it here.  :blink2:  I've only stuck a couple pieces of the cockpit together so far...haven't even touched the paint bottles yet.  So I'll keep this one in the box until July.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 06:11, helios16v said:

Oh, I just realized if I hold off on my F-100 build, I can enter it here.  :blink2:  I've only stuck a couple pieces of the cockpit together so far...haven't even touched the paint bottles yet.  So I'll keep this one in the box until July.

A French F-100 would be very welcome. I recommend the Blackbird resin wing set, it's designed for the Italeri kit but should work with the ESCI kit.