French Fancy 2 GB - Poll Closed and the results are in!!

Wez

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

I'll add you to the list, thanks for joining.

I'll keep your name on the list, you never know, miracles might happen!

Sorry @Wez, I should have been clear, it's the High Wing GB that will lose out, I'll be doing this one! I just meant that with the High Wing one being a large model for me, there's no way I'd be able to do two at once. So I'll be doing the Rafale-M here and will do the MiG some other time.

• Like 1

Right then, rules...

So the basic GB rules about kit eligibility, thread conduct and having fun will apply but for this particular GB there are some specific rules:

1.  Anything made in France no matter where its used is good.

2.  Anything wearing French markings military or civil is also good, the markings have to be distinctive and readily identifiable as French.

3.  French units embedded in other nations forces such as the Normandie-Niemen units in the Soviet Air Force are eligible or those squadrons in RAF service that wore French roundels, they would be eligible too.

4.  If you're thinking of building an aircraft used by a French person in another nation's force that wasn't distinctively French, it's not eligible unless it can absolutely pinned to a French user, Pierre Clostermann's Tempest V "Le Grand Charles" is an example of what is eligible.

5.  Racing cars, in the previous French Fancy GB we used the two out of three rule.  If any two of the driver, major sponsor, constructor/engine were French, it was deemed eligible, so Alain Prost driving a Williams-Renault is OK, Damon Hill driving a Williams-Renault isn't.  A Ligier qualifies under rule 1.

You've got plenty of choice, I hope to see figures, ships, submarines, trucks, bicycles as well as AFV's, cars and of course aircraft in the GB, it was a pretty diverse one last time and there's no reason for it not to be so this time.

You've got plenty of time to think about it, I'm looking forward to it!

In the meantime, I'm on the lookout for co-hosts!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

Sorry @Wez, I should have been clear, it's the High Wing GB that will lose out, I'll be doing this one! I just meant that with the High Wing one being a large model for me, there's no way I'd be able to do two at once. So I'll be doing the Rafale-M here and will do the MiG some other time.

Jason,

Obviously, that's a blow for Cliff's High Wing GB but I'm glad you'll be with us!

• Haha 1

I'd like to throw my stylish beret into the ring please.

Having started my French Indochina trilogy with a 1954 scene in the Corsair STGB   then gone back to 1951 with the Normandie-Niemen battalion's Hellcats arriving in the Vietnam GB, I can go back to the late 40s for a bomb armed Spitfire, visiting Aéronavale Dauntless and pair of decaying, captured Ki-51s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Wez

Are you still looking for a co-host for this one ?

Happy to help if you aren't fed up with me after the Heller GB !

Cheers Pat 

You're in!  Thanks very much Pat!

Anyone else willing to help out as a co-host?  It's a very rewarding experience ans will stand you in good stead when you want to host your own GB.

2 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I'd like to throw my stylish beret into the ring please.

Having started my French Indochina trilogy with a 1954 scene in the Corsair STGB   then gone back to 1951 with the Normandie-Niemen battalion's Hellcats arriving in the Vietnam GB, I can go back to the late 40s for a bomb armed Spitfire, visiting Aéronavale Dauntless and pair of decaying, captured Ki-51s.

Tim,

Very stylish it is too.

Welcome and thanks for joining, all great subjects that would be very welcome!

Room for more dans l'alouette...

• Like 1

• Wez changed the title to French Fancy 2 GB for 2021 now at 73!
25 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

I'd be happy to co-host, but I feel it necessary to first ask what it involves!

Wez is quite particular, white tea, 2 sugars stirred anti clockwise  :wink:

Just kidding enjoy yourself encourage others job done !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

I'd be happy to co-host, but I feel it necessary to first ask what it involves!

Well...

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Wez is quite particular, white tea, 2 sugars stirred anti clockwise  :wink:

Just kidding enjoy yourself encourage others job done !

Cheers Pat

...or NATO standard as we used to call it in the mob!

Actually Jason, it's quite straightforward, it's greeting modellers as they start a thread, provide assessments on eligibility of the subjects and offer encouragement where you think it's needed!

I send Pat around to provide the stronger encouragement :fight:

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Wez... Ive got co-hosting duties starting a month after this over in High-wing. However if you need an extra co-host let me know ? 

Thanks for the kind offer Dennis, I don't want to overburden you though, I'll leave the decision to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think I can handle co-hosting two builds, Im looking forward to this one. I’ve a DeWoitine 520 but hoping to double down with a jet as well from Dassault. 

Thanks Dennis, you're in!

@Jasonb13, do you think you're up for some co-hosting?

Glad this one has got through 😁

Just got to put a kit aside now, I know it's going to be a Peugeot rally car as I've  got a 205,  206 and 306 waiting in the wings, just got to pick one 🤔

Ian  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Glad this one has got through 😁

Just got to put a kit aside now, I know it's going to be a Peugeot rally car as I've  got a 205,  206 and 306 waiting in the wings, just got to pick one 🤔

Ian  

Great choice of subjects Ian, they'll be a fine addition to the GB. I won't do an Enzo Matrix on you, any of those would be great!

• Like 1

Wez

As much as I'd like to do all 3 I'll be pushing it for 1 as this GB is basically running concurrently with the Ford Mustang STGB as well, but if all the planet's align and the modelling gods are with me, you may get another one if time allows 😁

• Like 1

Being a Helleriste I'm pleased this one has made it through, and in fine style! I'm going with a Heller "Musée" series Potez 540 registered to the French government and used as a transport by General Charles de Gaulle while touring French colonies in Africa during 1941.

That's French enough, n'est-ce pas?  🇫🇷

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Being a Helleriste I'm pleased this one has made it through, and in fine style! I'm going with a Heller "Musée" series Potez 540 registered to the French government and used as a transport by General Charles de Gaulle while touring French colonies in Africa during 1941.

You might need to smoke a Gauloises while building it !  :whistle:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Oui!  C'est bon!

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

You might need to smoke a Gauloises while building it !  :whistle:

Cheers Pat

And quaffing red wine perhaps?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

@Wez Yep, why not, put me down as a co-host, and remind me in June that you did! ;)

You're in!  Thanks very much!

• Like 1

I wasn't sure I had much in my stash that qualified for this one, but turns out I have two things I will try to do here.

First is the 1/700 resin kit of the La Fayette frigate (the "stealth frigate" that I think was in a Bond movie) from the French navy. I unpacked it for the Navy GB this year (I was about to write "last year" and then remembered that it is STILL 2020 - when will this infernal year ever end???) but anyway it was a bit warped and I didn't have the energy. By 2021 hopefully I will.

Second is my old Revell Mirage IIIR which I ripped apart back to the basic parts a while ago. I have some Pakistan decals and found some pics of a PAF Mirage IIIR so I will have a crack at that.

Looking forward to this and the other GBs this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bianfuxia said:

I wasn't sure I had much in my stash that qualified for this one, but turns out I have two things I will try to do here.

First is the 1/700 resin kit of the La Fayette frigate (the "stealth frigate" that I think was in a Bond movie) from the French navy. I unpacked it for the Navy GB this year (I was about to write "last year" and then remembered that it is STILL 2020 - when will this infernal year ever end???) but anyway it was a bit warped and I didn't have the energy. By 2021 hopefully I will.

Second is my old Revell Mirage IIIR which I ripped apart back to the basic parts a while ago. I have some Pakistan decals and found some pics of a PAF Mirage IIIR so I will have a crack at that.

Looking forward to this and the other GBs this year.

All sounds good to me, I had to look up the La Fayette class (not too well versed on modern floaty things), and of course, a Mirage, regardless of operator is always welcome, the Pakistani markings are seldom seen so that's even more welcome.

Thanks for signing up, I've added your name to the list.

Looking forward to this GB too!

• Like 1

• Wez changed the title to French Fancy 2 GB for 2021 now at 74!

Hello, I was patiently looking through my stash yesterday to find kits for the 6 GB's that I knew I had models for, and I found I had something for this one too!

So, rather late in the day, Can I join in as well please?

I am aiming to clear out a number of Vacforms during 2021 Group Builds, and I found I had a 1/72 Scaleplanes Morane - Saulnier L Parasol monoplane. I also discovered that it had white metal parts, photo-etch and transfers too! Not what I was expecting from Scaleplanes, the others I have done (AD Sparrow scout and Burgess-Dunne seaplane) were rather basic to say the least.

So that would take me to 7 GB's and 4, possibly 5, vacforms for the year.

Look forward to the start.

Ray

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray S said:

Hello, I was patiently looking through my stash yesterday to find kits for the 6 GB's that I knew I had models for, and I found I had something for this one too!

So, rather late in the day, Can I join in as well please?

I am aiming to clear out a number of Vacforms during 2021 Group Builds, and I found I had a 1/72 Scaleplanes Morane - Saulnier L Parasol monoplane. I also discovered that it had white metal parts, photo-etch and transfers too! Not what I was expecting from Scaleplanes, the others I have done (AD Sparrow scout and Burgess-Dunne seaplane) were rather basic to say the least.

So that would take me to 7 GB's and 4, possibly 5, vacforms for the year.

Look forward to the start.

Ray

Ray,

It's not too late to join by any means so welcome along, we don't start until 14th July next year.  In the meantime, I think you've made a great choice and will contrast nicely with the Rafale that's been proposed for the GB.

I've added your name to the list.

Plenty of room for more!

Anything French made, anything used by the French, anything in French colours - all welcome!

• Thanks 1

• Wez changed the title to French Fancy 2 GB - 14 Jul-7 Nov 2021!