Quoting posts

Greg B

I really hate two things in all forums not only in britmodeller.

1.) I hate it when members quote with all text and pics by the thread opener, what is really unnecessary and nonsense.

2.) I hate it also when members who make a build thread, are posting their while in process pics together with all their tools, paints, beer bottles, cigarettes ash cups, trash in background. Is that sooo difficult to buy a 60 Cents white card board and make nice photos on it? Last time i saw a used Q-tip in yellow -brown colour besides a model,  i dont know if he cleaned his ear before but it looks like, really yuck. I dont gave a ,,like,, to him even not attention anymore.

Thats my 2 cents for

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Why, admin; why? Explanation demanded, please.

Unc2 

You demand an admin explains this to when it was already explained to you in a Private message?

Someone needs to step back from the keyboard I think.

10 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

2.) I hate it also when members who make a build thread, are posting their while in process pics together with all their tools, paints, beer bottles, cigarettes ash cups, trash in background. Is that sooo difficult to buy a 60 Cents white card board and make nice photos on it? Last time i saw a used Q-tip in yellow -brown colour besides a model,  i dont know if he cleaned his ear before but it looks like, really yuck. I dont gave a ,,like,, to him even not attention anymore.

I think a crammed up bench is quite nice in order to find out what kind of tools, paints and other hobby-related materials the builder is using, yeh. I've found out about incredible stuff that way. Sometimes is even interesting to see what kind of brews the OP likes to guzzle down.

I personally believe a white card board-backed background is not what our hobby usually reflects; and in any case, you might as well have a white card board when displaying the kit on the RFI section. 

If you suffer the disorder while the build is going on, then I guess you're in the wrong place or hobby. After all, disorder is normally allowed whenever something is being built, ain't it?

4 hours ago, Julien said:

You demand an admin explains this to when it was already explained to you in a Private message?

I could always direct the PM to you so that you'd check that the examples of quotes for which I got the PM were all edited by me in order to ask questions or to focus on something the OP had written down on it. It was NOT the whole text/the whole piccies.

That's the reason why I demand an explanation for. Otherwise, the PM would have perfectly made sense to me, don't you think?

• Confused 1

I think that this lockdown is starting to wear  thin in places. I don't know what is wrong with using white cards to take photos. I use them all the time, mainly because sometimes what I build ends up in one publication or another, and that's what they dictate is used. They don't want shots of untidy workbenches or bottles of one brew or another, so I will continue using white card backgrounds until I get my own photo light box.

But with regards to quoting endless photos over and over again, there is in another thread today that is a classic example. When I clicked onto it, I thought at first that I had come across a new entry, but it wasn't. It was from October last year, and obviously someone had come across it and quoted all 25 photos and text all over again. It was done by somebody who is a relatively new member, but it just proves that some people don't bother to read the rules.

John.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I think that this lockdown is starting to wear  thin in places. I don't know what is wrong with using white cards to take photos.

Oh, lockdown has nothing to do with places starting to wear thin, John. Neither did I say that using white cards was wrong, it's just a matter of preferences on my part; or even that a crammed up bench doesn't affect me either. On the contrary.

At least, there's no rule that I know of with regard to taking piccies over a crammed up bench WIP.

You should check piccies of my sheila while she's cooking her pastry over on Facebook :rofl2: 

Incidentally; most of the builders I follow on Youtube use to record their builds over a tormented background. Will Pattison's bench is like watching Chernobyl!

Yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2

As you say, it's a matter of preference.  Mine is for a non cluttered background, because of the reason that I stated. Even if the build isn't going into a publication, I don't like to have stuff in shot if it doesn't need to be there. That's just how I am, which is unusual as the rest of my modelling area looks like the East End after a raid.

John.

• Like 4

Well, i dont need to see what tools and paints the member is using, or what brand of beer he drink, thats not the topic just in this moment, i only want see how far is his progress, and if he posting the model on a white or any other coloured  card board, then its a joy for my eyes. Its a question of respect and attention, what the member is ready to give.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Its a question of respect and attention, what the member is ready to give.

Not that I've posted any for a bit, hopefully to change soon, but any of my WIP shots are taken on my tatty old tray work station, surrounded by what I'm using at the time. It is just that, WORK in progress. No disrespect intended but what works for me at the time. A RFI on the other hand will be taken with some care against a sheet of neutral colour card. I'm unlikely to change my way of doing this as, not being able to cater for all tastes, I cater for me. Sorry @Harry Callahan

Steve.

• Like 6

you misunderstood me, i didnt want force you to do something, you are free in your decision of course, i cannot command you.

i want just explain that a clean pic on white board looks more better and interesting, and its more a joy than pics with trash in background.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to point out that a lot of browsers and/or extensions (such as content blockers) can hide certain HTML elements by various rules. So folk like me who dislike the blight of quoting which afflicts so many forums (not just BM by any means) can hide the blockquotes. It's a catch-all solution, but it makes long pages much more readable.

• Greg B unpinned this topic