Quoting posts

Greg B

Ladies and Gents, if you are going to quote a post in order to provide reference for the reply, please take the time to delete the pointlessly and I repeat- POINTLESSLY- repeated photos. It is a pain in the backside to scroll through repeated photos on a PC, never mind a tablet or phone, and is very poor netiquette.  

Likewise if you are quoting a post and it has that picture in it that 1/2 a dozen other members have also quoted. Guess what -    It’s POINTLESS! 

We are close to the point where members will have their ears bent for their lack of netiquette. After the ear bending, well there won’t be an ability to quote posts for a while....

;)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Absolutely right. Its a real pain to have the first post quoted in the second post in RFI - I've just seen all those photos and don't you think we know what you think was a nice build anyway 😡

We need an enormous and threatening emoji with which to respond to posters duplicating photos in their comments.

perhaps Greg's post could be a header to the "View New Content"page.......just a thought.......

Rog

20 hours ago, Greg B said:

quote a lost in order to provide reference for the reply

Sorry Greg you're going to translate that for me,i've heard of lost in post/lost in translation and lost in France (and i'm not taking the mick)....

• Like 1

Long overdue in my opinion.

The amount of regurgitated posts, which then normally have a small "very nice work" comment (or similar) is entirely unnecessary and poor netiquite indeed.

Edited by hairystick
Spellunk.
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Appreciate that the ideal is for members to edit the post but as administrators you could also help by installing or enabling the ‘Minimized Quote’ plugin which automatically limits how much of a quote is displayed.  The full quote is still there but all you normally see is the first few lines and you have to expand it if you want to see it all.

I think there are a number of reasons why people are leaving quotes in full

1. People just don’t think about it
  2. People don’t realise they can edit a quote
  3. If people are using tablets and phones, selecting and cutting can be boomin fiddly and awkward.

And it could be worse.  A really popular forum that I visit daily uses Xenforo and they have recently configured it so that if you hit ‘reply’ it automatically quotes the post that you are replying to.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

How about a pinned thread in the FAQs or similar with a worked through example using screen captures so its totally obvious for the "hard of understanding" what is meant & perhaps refer recidivist offenders to it. I realise it would be a hassle to do but it might save mods some work in the long run. It could also be used by some of the more up standing members to show numpties the errors of their ways. :)

Steve.

1 hour ago, nheather said:

People just don’t think about it

That is the cause of many of the world's problems...

(Successfully quoted and formatted on a small-screen smartphone in about 25 seconds)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, bhouse said:

(Successfully quoted and formatted on a small-screen smartphone in about 25 seconds)

Firstly I know how to edit quotes and I do in general.

However, I do find selecting text on a tablet and phone difficult for a couple of reasons.

The primary one is that with my ageing eyesight, big fingers and small screens I struggle with the precision needed to select text in the correct place.  I can just about manage on my iPad but no chance on my phone.

The second one, and it is not an issue with Britmodeller, but it does cause problems on other forums.  When I start to select text the application thinks “oh you want to highlight text with bold, or underline or something else” and it displays a tooltip for these really close to the selection you are trying to drag.  You need to precision of a neuro-surgeon to be able to select the drag handle rather than the tooltip.  At this point I would show a screenshot to illustrate but this only goes to demonstrate that there are no perfect forums out there.  On the one I am moaning about, inserting an image is a breeze, a real dream whereas on BM it is a real palaver - which is why I don’t post many pictures on BM.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, bhouse said:

That is the cause of many of the world's problems...

As for this, I could expand on the analogy like this.

BM are the countries, the world leaders that could enact change themselves, but instead sit back and say “it is not our problem it is the people that need to change”.

Yes I agree, the perfect solution is for the people (the BM members) to change but leaders should also recognise that with the best will in the world that isn’t going to happen so if they have a solution that they can apply, even if it is a partial fix then they should be doing it.

If the issue is having to scroll through repeated quotes then BM could address that with a few moments of admin time.  If the real underlying reason is the server space (which I imagine is why add ping images is a palaver) then the simple fix won’t help.

Cheers,

Nigel

Good suggestion, we will look into it. However, if its disabled, or not supported during a forum software update, all the posts come back in their full glory. Not exactly an enduring solution. 

There's a perfectly good "like" button on the far right of each "box" for those who wish to express their appreciation for a model instead of posting "nice model" or such accompanied by a heap of unnecessary and repeated photos. 

Simples.........

Rog

• Like 5

On 30/01/2020 at 23:55, nheather said:

1. If people are using tablets and phones, selecting and cutting can be boomin fiddly and awkward.

And therein lies the heart of the problem. On the various Tapatalk forums I visit, there is constant urination and moaning about the difficulties members are having with Tapatalk and they all stem from phone users. 

Now it's here. Phone users crying the blues about the forum not working like they want, or think, it should for them. It's not the admins issue to fix. All they can do is to pass it on to the site hosting service and hope they can find a solution that helps everyone. 

If Western civilization falls, I think one of the main reasons will be because too many people were too busy looking at their phones to notice until it's too late.

My 2 cents

Chris

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

tbh I cant say that I find editing a previous post and removing any pics and cutting it down to size of the relevant part that I want to quote that big a problem either on pc or phone.  Anyone who knows my IT skills set will be gobsmacked at that claim mind you.

Now finding time to do some modelling is a whole different size of problem...........

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 11:18 AM, dogsbody said:

If Western civilization falls, I think one of the main reasons will be because too many people were too busy looking at their phones to notice until it's too late

Sorry had to give this one a laugh, Ive often said Zombies really exist they just carry phones everywhere. BTW I use a cell and quoting isn't hard at all, even with my big fat sausage fingers i can manage it. 

Dennis

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

A little bit of a temper tantrum regarding this.

Someone has recently PMd me about the subject of this thread (you know who you are :lol:). It bothers me that much to have to re-read all the very same lines by the OP over and over when someone quotes their posts, and also to have to scroll down the whole pictures on it that I always edit both the text and the piccies that I quote. I think I'm pretty much sure I was already doing all this edit of quotes much before this thread was created. A whole lot much before that, yeh.

I just quote the text I want to either focus on or enquire about it, same as with the piccies, that the PM came as very odd to me. This PM feels as though someone in the Water Dept would call to reprimand me for not turning the water faucet off while brushing my teeth, when I only turn the faucet on when I need to rinse.

Why, admin; why? Explanation demanded, please.

Yeh, it is...

Cheers,

Unc2 

Yeh, Tony; yeh! For me it'd have been easier to quote the whole post + piccies to just enquire or focus on a little bit of it, but I've always took the time to edit that which just interest me.

This PM is confusing as, it's not clear what the admin is trying to say to me that I did wrong; is it that I'm not allowed to quote the very same text someone has quoted before in the thread, or is it the same piccies someone has quoted before?

I'm scared to quote ever again, and I'm starting to hyperventilate :lol:

Oughtn't Iron Maiden have some lyrics regarding this subject? Afraid To Quote Strangers :rofl2:

I have noticed lately that some members seem to have forgotten the quoting rule. They will quote the whole post, with all the pictures and text, just to post very little themselves. I rarely quote pictures unless it's specific to my inquiry or comment.

I've been waiting for the admins to bring this up again.

Chris

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1