1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.22 by AZmodel - released

Homebee

Better than the Xtrakit, not as good as the Airfix kit overall, but not bad at all, though you have to be happy doing a fair bit of clean-up and adjustment for fit.  In its first boxing this came with an optional (and not needed) 6-blade contraprop set-up, which was a useful bonus for conversions and spares, so fingers crossed we get that again. I shall probably get one for stock.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

I am currently building the Seafire 46 which shares many parts with the 22 and 24 and the 21 and Seafire 45 with a different fueslage. Not bad kits and certainly a better wing  shape that the Special Hobby one. 

Why surprised? Every Airfix kit is produced in batches and they all, every single one of them, drop out of stock once that stock is sold out. No kit is in continuous production.

The 2012 1/72 Spitfire 22 took quite a while to sell out but I'm sure it will be back in a few years.

Until then if you need one, a post up in the Wanted section here and a saved search notification on ebay will usually produce a result within a month or so.

6 minutes ago, sroubos said:

Is the Airfix really much better than the Xtrakit? It was a joy to build but also quite crude with deep panel lines.

Infinitely better. The Xtrakit/MPM is too fat, too short, and has wrongly-shaped wingtips.