Republic Seabee - 1/72nd Mach 2 injected plastic kit

While surface blemishes are being fixed, a few more details go to the interior:

IMG_7471+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

More airbrushing ensues, for the other side of some parts, the interior color, a partial coat of primer on the aft fuselage, the tires, the interior of the engine covers, and even a minuscule fire extinguisher attached to a little blob of bluetack on a clothes peg.

IMG_7472+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

The clear sections of the canopy are glued to the doors:

IMG_7588+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Masking material is prepared.

(Note to manufacturer of Canopy Survival Kit: could you please use a poly bag that is not exactly the same size of the contents, so it's not a pain in the rear every time you have to extricate the contents and put them back? much appreciated):

IMG_7589+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

One by one, this way or the other, the windows are masked:

IMG_7590+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

For the front ones I used the discarded kit's canopy as a pattern, since this area had a consistent relief, easy to follow with a toothpick and then with a blade:

IMG_7591+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

All set:

IMG_7592+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Sometimes I wish I would have a cutting plotter and the patience to learn the software and handling the hardware. I most definitely don't, and stay off virtual media and complication as far and as long as I can.

I love to build, but I hate to fuzz with technology, which is becoming more and more hostile. Plug and play is a thing of the past, and now we are showered with error messages and incompatibility notices. Don't you love progress.

M. Gumby

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Moa said:

(Note to manufacturer of Canopy Survival Kit: could you please use a poly bag that is not exactly the same size of the contents, so it's not a pain in the rear every time you have to extricate the contents and put them back?

The same could be said for some decal makers.

AW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Always a pleasure to see your work! :clap2:

I have a Silhouette Portrait cutter. I use Inkscape for the patterns with an added extension to drive the cutter directly from Inkscape. Both are open source software--so they're free. I've also used Inkscape to make decals. Masks and decals from the same file are not a problem. 

Edited by dnl42
Goofy typing prediction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Always a pleasure to see your work! :clap2:

I have a Silhouette Portrait cutter. I use Inkscape for the patterns with an added extension to drive the cutter directly from Inkscape. Both are open source software--so they're free. I've also used Inkscape to make decals. Masks and decals from the same file are not a problem. 

You are very kind, but as I expressed, i still  occasionally stomp on my iphone and creativily and profusely insult both my macbook and HP desktop. 

The mere mention of updates and/or upgrades makes me run to the pharmacy 

I just want to build freaking models, not becoming an expert in software or resin-molding or decal making.

i strongly believe that all those are (or better said should be) the manufacturer's realm.

I immensely enjoy building models, and I even more immensely hate computers and such. 

• Like 4

On 12/9/2019 at 9:03 PM, Moa said:

Those were my links, quoted by him.

My bad- just re-read the post! BTW, I absolutely love that little boat anchor! :clap2:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Haha 1

From this angle the Seabee is rather cute looking. Not sure about the black and orange scheme though. I rather fancy the yellow.

Cheers,

Wlad

Just catching up with your build.

This is a crackin' little aircraft...never seen one before and very much looking forward to seeing the Orange and Black paint scheme too :)

• Like 1

One of my building strategies is to work during the pauses -imposed by drying of cement, primer or paint- on the little things that many times delay the completion of a model, thus after painting the major assemblies it's a matter of decaling and adding those bits.

In this case as you know many kit parts were replaced with scratchbuilt items, and other details not present in the kit were fabricated to add interest.
I am waiting now for the orange paint to completely cure, since there is some big masking ahead:

IMG_7848+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 13