Tamiya 1/48 P-51B 355th FG RAF Steeple Morden

Hey Guys,

Here's my Tamiya P-51B, finished in the markings of Lt. Col. Everett W. Stewart during's time as part of the 355th Fighter Group when it was based at RAF Steeple Morden in Cambridgeshire.

The kit went together beautifully as per all Tamiya kits, and it was painted using a mix of Mr. Colour and Tamiya Acrylic.

The decals are from AMDG Decal's 'Yankee Merlin Roars!!! Part III' set and were of good quality, they went on well and were incredibly thin, requring only a slight helping hand with decal softner around some more complex shapes.

Weathering was along the lines of 'used but not so abused'. I wanted to show a machine that was well used and that had picked up a few dings and dents but not too excessive. I achieved this with a mix of pre and post-shading, thinned oil paints for the panel lines and a metallic watercolour pencil for any chipping. I finished the model with some airbrush weathering effects before sealing with Xtracolour's Enamel Matte Coat.

Rounding off for me however was having the ability to take this out to the actual former RAF Steeple Morden. Luckily I live across the border in Bedfordshire, and the base is a quick 20 minute drive away.

At Steeple Morden not much of the original base survives, only a few nissen huts and the occasional segment of perimeter track that the farmer's found useful, luckily however an impressive memorial has been erected nearby where some of the technical and administrative buildings originally were, so I was very privelaged to be able to take some pictures of my model on the base of which its real-life counterpart would've served. 

DSC-0015.jpg

DSC-0009.jpg

DSC-0017.jpg

DSC-0002.jpg

DSC-0003.jpg

DSC-0004.jpg

DSC-0007.jpg

DSC-0008.jpg

DSC-0001.jpg

Many Thanks for looking guys!

Sam 

• Like 20