1/35 Tamiya Opel Blitz +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

22 minutes ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Your progress is real fast...

Fast - but not very clean or accurate - just 'splash & dash' on this one :whistle:

Do you know, I was just thinking earlier this morning "Wonder what Steve is up to, he's been very quiet recently" and lo!! I stumble into this thread and have spent a happy half hour catching up. Good to see your mojo under restoration, and I'll be following along because, well, that's what I do :) It's looking rather good so far.

Andy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Do you know, I was just thinking earlier this morning "Wonder what Steve is up to, he's been very quiet recently" and lo!! I stumble into this thread and have spent a happy half hour catching up. Good to see your mojo under restoration, and I'll be following along because, well, that's what I do :) It's looking rather good so far.

Andy

Cheers Andy.  I'm busy with a saucer of warm water / tweezers / scalpel / brushes etc at the moment - decal time ;) - Steve

• Like 1

I've spent a very pleasant afternoon with some decals.  The only kit option that seemed anywhere near appropriate was a 1940 western front vehicle.  So with a little poetic licence I've re-imagined it as an old truck that has been stooging around northern France from 1940 to 1944...

OPEL0057.jpg

front decals and number plate - I had a slight accident with that - I find Tamiya decals very 'thin' - then it was onto the back...

OPEL0058.jpg

I want to portray the Blitz as a support vehicle for my King Tiger...

BADGE.jpg

which I may have mis identified earlier.  I now believe it to be The 1st SS Panzer Division "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler" - anyway these guys have hi-jacked the Opel for re-supply and applied their own graffiti to it...

OPEL0060.jpg

OPEL0059.jpg

OPEL0061.jpg

This last shot shows the transparency of that front grille.

Next I need to get the tools on and think about bringing all the bits together.

Steve 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

which I may have mis identified earlier.  I now believe it to be The 1st SS Panzer Division "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler" - anyway these guys have hi-jacked the Opel for re-supply and applied their own graffiti to it...

Steve, the double skeleton key is technically for the 1st SS Panzer Corps which did serve with the LSSAH whose emblem was a single skeleton key. The 12th SS H-J had a single skeleton key with a sowilo rune.

This is really looking wonderful now, coming along great guns!

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve

Just got chance to catch up with this as busy wrapping presents etc yesterday.

Excellent (and very speedy) progress!

Looks a nice kit, albeit with a few things to be aware of, such as the misleading box set.

I have a couple of these to do in 1/72 in various versions.

Looking forward to the next update.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

Hi Steve

Just got chance to catch up with this as busy wrapping presents etc yesterday.

Excellent (and very speedy) progress!

Looks a nice kit, albeit with a few things to be aware of, such as the misleading box set.

I have a couple of these to do in 1/72 in various versions.

Looking forward to the next update.

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben - It was a busy weekend - but it will only be 'bits' now until next weekend - slow slow quick quick slow as they say.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Decade Folks...  After a prolonged Christmas break - eating copious amounts of pigs in blankets & knocking up a tiny 'golden stuka' for the Christmas tree - I think I had better get back to work on my workhorse.

My mojo is still intact - so I had a quick review of where I was up to and set to work early this morning.  As everything is 'more or less' complete it is time to get the last few bits in place and do a bit of weathering.

I got the tools on to the front mudguards first - fiddly little beggars...

OPEL0062.jpg

OPEL0063.jpg 

...it's amazing how just a few days away from the bench can lead to unsteady hands - but I got there in the end.

• Like 10

Time to get the gloss on everything - so I can splash on some Flory wash.

I couldn't figure out where to hold the truck bed for glossing - so ended up with a very wobbly pair of 'legs'...

OPEL0064.jpg

I used my usual Humbrol acrylic gloss with a 0.4mm needle in basic brush to apply a good heavy shiny coat...

OPEL0065.jpg

OPEL0068.jpg

OPEL0069.jpg

OPEL0075.jpg

OPEL0074.jpg

As usual the heating in the cave is now turned up to full as it really needs to set solid before I splash any wash on - time for a spot of lunch.

Catch ya later - Steve

• Like 6

Whilst the gloss is still drying I've been twiddling my thumbs and pondering what to do - then I remembered these from earlier in the thread....

maxresdefault.jpg

...so I've knocked the boxes together / sloshed on a little primer / followed by a quick coat of Vallejo 'wood'...

zbox02.jpg

...off to Asda now for the weekly shop - back for some truck weathering later.

I'm back on the road - thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

...it's amazing how just a few days away from the bench can lead to unsteady hands - but I got there in the end.

I think that you may be suffering from pigs in blankets withdrawal Steve, a serious post-Christmas condition. which is soon remedied by visiting your local butcher for some simple ingredients.  :winkgrin:

Great to see this one underway again.

• Haha 2

On 08/12/2019 at 08:33, BIG X said:

Me - correct - that doesn't happen often :lol: it looks a bit 'clumsy' though - so I might just leave it & put it down to bone idle drivers - mind you Tamiya don't help - let's refer back to the box artwork...

These 2 muppets have clearly lost whatever they were towing :lol:

I'd always (mis)understood the triangle was a 'convoy' marker so diid some digging and came across the following on missng link that confirmed it is to indicate a trailer is being towed but also ponts out that it wasn't always used as intended. If you find it bothering why not include one of the small trailered AA guns parked at the side. Some interesting pics included at the end of the link .

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/opel-blitz-convoy-sign-t56092.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice progress Steve. Mine are not on a hold, just a very slow process, but coming along nicely. Will post some photos next week.

Yours is very well executed. Like the wood texture on the pioneer tools. Also the "Flory Wash", I don't know that. Can you show what it is. 

What are the benefits over other products?

Follow with interest.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Circloy said:

I'd always (mis)understood the triangle was a 'convoy' marker so diid some digging and came across the following on missng link that confirmed it is to indicate a trailer is being towed but also ponts out that it wasn't always used as intended. If you find it bothering why not include one of the small trailered AA guns parked at the side. Some interesting pics included at the end of the link .

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/opel-blitz-convoy-sign-t56092.html

That's a very useful link @Circloy - thanks for sharing.  I 'may' find something to tow at some point - things are always a 'work in progress' for me.  As for the links at the end - all I can see is a rather pretty air stewardess with 'good legs' - but I won't be clicking on it ;)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Nice progress Steve. Mine are not on a hold, just a very slow process, but coming along nicely. Will post some photos next week.

Yours is very well executed. Like the wood texture on the pioneer tools. Also the "Flory Wash", I don't know that. Can you show what it is. 

What are the benefits over other products?

Follow with interest.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hi Robert - Happy new Year!!!

I don't know if Flory are 'global' or maybe just 'European' or 'UK' even.  They are bottles of various colours filled with nano sized coloured pigment powder particles.  You brush them on / the liquid carrier moisture evaporates quickly / leaving you with a dusty coloured surface that you can sponge around or clean off if you have - gone too far.

As they are water based -if you 'get it wrong' you can completely clean them away & start again.  They have some really good youtube videos - that show what can be achieved by someone with more expertise than me.  Colours in the set include black / white / sand / grime / dark dirt / rust & you can mix them for different shades too - I sound like an advertisement - but I'm just a happy customer.

@The Spadgent on here uses them to much better effect than me - but then he has a lot more skill.  I started by using the black for panel lines on aircraft - but when I got interested in AFV's I found the sand & dark dirt washes came into their own. @Phil @ Flory Models from Flory is also a member on here & he may be able to tell us if he has a distributor in Thailand.

Anyway I'm waffling - so I'll get some pictures up shortly.

kind regards - Steve

• Like 2

OK - the shopping for the week has been done & I even squeezed in a quick haircut - "a number 1 all over please" - the mantra of all of us that don't have enough hair to get anything else :lol:

So - not the best advert for Flory @Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast - but this is the start of what you can achieve - a quick wash with sand...

OPEL0090.jpg

OPEL0091.jpg

OPEL0092.jpg

OPEL0093.jpg

OPEL0094.jpg

DON'T PANIC!!!

I am going to knock these back a bit and add a bit more where it looks 'too clean'...

DON'T PANIC - MKII...

The final result will actually be quite subtle - I promise.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Good to see you back on the job!

Thanks Mate - you'll be pleased to know that I have decided that my next build will actually include an engine - you have inspired me!!!

• Like 3

OK - I've been 'knocking back' or 'toning down' the effect - leaving the sandy dirt in the grooves and panels of the truck...

OPEL0095.jpg

OPEL0096.jpg

OPEL0097.jpg

OPEL0098.jpg

OPEL0099.jpg

Next will be a matt varnish - which will tone it down even more - leaving a 'hint' of dirt.

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong - but it works for me :shrug:

...now - back to the wooden boxes :hobbyhorse:

• Like 5

Fantastic progress Steve and the Flory wash really works nicely. I like the fairly subtle effect it gives as a lot of weathering is way overdone in my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with figures as well.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 1