1/35 Tamiya Opel Blitz +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Happy Saturday Folks.

It's been a while since I actually splashed any glue or paint in anger & whilst reading the 'modelling stage fright' thread - I suddenly realised I've actively been avoiding starting anything - in case I don't finish it.  So to use a well worn phrase this will hopefully be yet another 'mojo restorer'.

My 'stash' has been getting a little out of hand recently, with a birthday last month and too many shopping sprees on amazon I seem to be compiling too many boxes that aren't getting opened.  So I've had a good rummage through the cupboard and pulled out the Tamiya 1/35 German 3 Ton 4x2 Cargo Truck - alternatively known as the Opel Blitz.

I nearly fell into the 'trap' of trawling the internet for references and finding too many 'superior' quality builds that are way above my skill level - thus defeating myself at the first hurdle.

But - I did spend last night looking at 'real' vehicles and found that the Blitz is a proper 'movie star' - appearing in countless war movies.  It's never the 'hero' - but an important 'character actor' non the less.

So here are the usual box and sprue shots...

OPEL0001.jpg

OPEL0002.jpg

OPEL0003.jpg

OPEL0005.jpg

OPEL0006.jpg

OK - that sets the scene - plenty of stuff to play with - wish me luck.

• Like 7

• BIG X changed the title to Workhorse of the Reich - The Opel Blitz

On closer inspection the underside of the load bed is full of ejector marks - as are the sides...

OPEL0004.jpg

TBH - I'm not going to let that bother me too much - I don't fancy sanding them out - as I'll lose the wood grain effect on the plastic.  I'll worry about it later.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice looking kit mind if I follow along, it's not often you see soft skin vehicles built!

Roger

By all means Roger - please feel free to hop on board - you can pick me up when I inevitably 'fall'.  This is only my second 1/35 build though - I normally tinker in the 1/72 arena.  It may not be the sexiest vehicle but I shall do my best to do it a bit of justice.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

It may not be the sexiest vehicle but I shall do my best to do it a bit of justice.

With out the work horses the glamour boys wouldn't be able operate.

I'm sure you will turn this into a masterpiece and after all 1/35 is bigger than 1/72 so its easyier on the eyes. Looking forward to watching this progress

Roger

• Like 1

In typical Tamiya fashion - the first bits seem to have just fallen together...

OPEL0017.jpg

Rear wheels / front wheels / spare wheel & a 'spare' spare wheel - that may well end up in the load bed - nice.

• Like 4

Me too. I was planning my builds for the coming year and ever since the Italeri kit from the past, I never build a decent Opel Blitz again.

So Hannants was very nice to put the Cyber Hobby kits on sale (I left one on the shelf).

Follow this one to get in the mood.

Robert Jan

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'll be watching!

Thanks Smithy - it won't be pretty - it won't be accurate - but hopefully it will be a little but of mojo restoring fun...

6 hours ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Me too. I was planning my builds for the coming year and ever since the Italeri kit from the past, I never build a decent Opel Blitz again.

So Hannants was very nice to put the Cyber Hobby kits on sale (I left one on the shelf).

Follow this one to get in the mood.

Robert Jan

Thanks Rob - I hope I don't let anyone down.

• Like 1

I've got the 'undercarriage' done...

OPEL0009.jpg

OPEL0010.jpg

The engine only has an 'underside' and the exhaust is 'very flexible' - I'm already wondering if I should have painted some bits in advance - but it's a fun build - so who cares.

I've been working on the cab too - which is nearly finished - back soon.

Steve

• Like 2

OK - cab shots...

OPEL0011.jpg

The steering gear is in...

OPEL0012.jpg

even at 1/35 it makes me wonder why we get all that steering rod - that will never be seen...

OPEL0013.jpg

The base of the cab is quite nice with the pedals and gear shift.

OPEL0014.jpg

I've left the seats out for now - but put the back of the cab in place...

OPEL0015.jpg

OPEL0016.jpg

The seats are only in 'for effect' at present - but it's all looking OK at the moment.

More in the morning I guess.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

With out the work horses the glamour boys wouldn't be able operate.

I'm sure you will turn this into a masterpiece and after all 1/35 is bigger than 1/72 so its easyier on the eyes. Looking forward to watching this progress

Roger

Well Roger it is certainly easier on the eyesight and the sausage fingers too - but with more detail apparent it means more 'fine tuning'.  I think each scale has it's own pro's & con's.

24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

This makes a bit of a change for you from your usual scale. Nice work so far.

John.

Thanks John - I have no real concept of how big it will be - but it certainly is going to take up a bit of shelf space.

22 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Cant be a tamiya kit for mojo restoration and satisfyingly swift build.

I'll tag along too if I may. :popcorn:

Cheers 

Darryl 

I agree Darryl - I have tackled a few Tamiya kits in 1/48 - but this is only my second 1/35 kit and the quality of parts and fit definitely lift the spirits.

• Like 1

Great start mate and an interesting subject. I'm a fan of the "undersung" vehicles of the war - the cargo carriers, troop transports and general runabouts that sit in the background ignored in favour of the more "glamorous" afvs.

Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this.

All the best

Ben

Ps - a belated happy birthday for last month!

• Like 1

Morning Folks - well it's a lovely sunny Sunday morning - if a little chilly up here on the moors.

A perfect day for a spot of modelling - so I got going early by attaching the front mudguards and trying to wobble the bonnet and grille into position.  The downside is I've just had an 'oops' moment...

OPEL0018.jpg

I've knocked the 'knob' off the gearstick. :doh:  HOWEVER - undeterred I tried to add a blob of PPP to replace it...

OPEL0019.jpg

...not my finest modelling moment. :lol:  HOWEVER - still undeterred I've decided to replace it with something a little sturdier...

OPEL0020.jpg

...meet gearsticks MKII & MKIII - simple household pins - with a bit of a bend in them - tough little mothers...

OPEL0021.jpg

MKIII won and is currently setting with a blob of Mr Surfacer on top to emulate the 'knob'.  It's sat in the sun - hopefully hardening up to make something a little more indestructible.

26 minutes ago, badger said:

Ps - a belated happy birthday for last month!

Cheers Mate :)

• Like 6

Good save on the gear knob. I often replace them - in 1/72 they are always too thick. I use insect pins as they have a ball on top - very cheap and a box will last a lifetime. Come in different sizes as well.

Don't know if you have decided on a colour scheme yet, but if you fancy the early war grey I have a couple of figures that would work well as the crew. Was thinking of the two on the right from this picture.

2019-12-01_11-12-26

I doubt I'll use them so they're yours if you can?

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the generous offer Ben.  I was looking at the decal options with the kit and I was sadly disappointed to see there wasn't a late war option.  There is eastern front / desert / early WTO - but I think I've come up with one of my usual 'mad cap' - 'what if' ideas...

Basically it goes like this - the early WTO - has been trawling round France from 1940 to 1944.  It's got it's old markings for the 10th Panzer Division - but has recently been commandeered by the 12th SS Panzer Division - Hitlerjugend.  This will go with my only other 1/35 build - the King Tiger.  I bought an ammo loading crew...

maxresdefault.jpg

...this has loads of boxes which will help fill the load bed.  That's the plan - but I don't want to get an ideas of grandeur just yet - it could all go horribly wrong well before I get this far.

Those figures do look gorgeous though - but what makes them 'early' - you know much more about these things than me.

• Like 1

OK - it's time to hold my breath & get some chopping and drilling done...

OPEL0022.jpg

...if only I'd realised I was going to break it - before I put the back on - it's going to be tight in there.

They are a decent set of figures - I picked them up from a charity shop years ago and have used a couple.

Essentially the main differences are the high uniform collar, full length jack boots and side cap. These were all changed in about 1943 for an open collar jacket, ankle boots and waiters and a peaked cap.

Whilst the older uniform items continued to be worn for a while the side cap disappeared quite quickly and the Jack boots were quite rare by the time of Normandy.

The plan sounds entirely feasible to me. I can have a look and see if I have 12th SS markings spare if that helps?

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, badger said:

They are a decent set of figures - I picked them up from a charity shop years ago and have used a couple.

Essentially the main differences are the high uniform collar, full length jack boots and side cap. These were all changed in about 1943 for an open collar jacket, ankle boots and waiters and a peaked cap.

Whilst the older uniform items continued to be worn for a while the side cap disappeared quite quickly and the Jack boots were quite rare by the time of Normandy.

The plan sounds entirely feasible to me. I can have a look and see if I have 12th SS markings spare if that helps?

All the best

Ben

Thanks again Ben - you are really one of the most generous people I have ever met.  I invested in this multiscale set of markings a while back though...

AR77011.gif

Glad you think the idea is feasible though. ;)

Right back to the drilling - I've scuffed my knuckles already :lol:

• Thanks 1

I've had a rethink about the ejector marks on the wooden bed & I've decided to try and fill them...

OPEL0030.jpg

OPEL0031.jpg

Now with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix about to start - it's time for a break with tea and toast.

Thanks for all the encouragement so far - ABU DHABI DO - as Fred Flintstone might say :lol:

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Right - back into 1st gear - did you see what I did there ;)

OPEL0023.jpg

I now have a gearstick again and as I reckon I would have snapped the handbrake at some point - I haven't put it in - I've made one up with a bit of thin brass pipe with a pin going through it - it will get a tiny blob of Mr Surfacer too.  Oh - to make life even more difficult for myself I put the steering wheel into.

• Like 3

The headlights are on, along with the tool holders and that pesky blank Opel logo was a swine to position...

OPEL0024.jpg

The front grille is VERY see through - the problem is there isn't anything inside to see inside. :doh: Now I've been following @JeroenS Miniart Truck build here...

The engine bay is a work of art and I noticed that behind the grille there is a radiator (makes sense) so I'm shamelessly going to knock up a radiator to hide the huge void inside - how hard can it be :shrug:

• Like 4