1/48 F-15A Air Superiority Blue

17 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Are the exhausts nozzles kit items?

No, they were an old pair of Cutting Edge that I was glad to finally put to use!

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Don't forget the film used back then was not as good as todays and shows differently, so we have rely on the paint being correct.

Agreed, that's why I went with the two I had. I did a lot of looking at what color images I had comparing the blue sky color with the blue Eagle's color and ended up going with both paints I had, the Lifecolor being a little bit more punchy so used more sparingly.

The glossier left half of the Lifecolor cap is the Hataka and the right half is the Lifecolor.

ntCyaVQ.jpg

Here's the same colors with the bottom half given a brush of Future.

ECTFxIj.jpg

You say the top was a bit flat and the bottom glossy. i wonder if the paint faded fast. These were tested in California or someplace southern U.S. right? If so that would explain that. Navy grey/white planes are the same way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

You say the top was a bit flat and the bottom glossy. i wonder if the paint faded fast

Likely but it was flat and glossy by design.  I think I've heard it was supposed to have made it easier cleaning the bottom.

The lines facing forward are flat and side to side gloss.

frWWo0L.jpg

2 hours ago, stulad said:

Top work as ever PB, love the matching of the weathering to the photo....

Welcome Stulad!

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

That's interesting,never knew this.

No me neither, makes the single color scheme a little more interesting.  Not fun masking over decals to create the matt/gloss demarcation lines...

It was that old Aero Series book that was so useful with the early details, paint scheme, cockpit, airbrake, wheels, seat etc. 

7 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Would post it notes work? they have a very low tack. I guess you could do the decals and final glossing, then the flat coat, would that work?

I used Tamiya yellow tape, I took each piece and laid it down on my palm and lifted it a couple of times to lower the tack more. Luckily it worked.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hobo said:

Shocked to see how big the F-106 was - I always thought it was much smaller than the F-15.

Yes, I had to put the pitot back on it for the upteenth time as when I move it I forget it has that extra inch on top. As the F-15s replaced the F-106s I thought they'd look good together plus the FS16473 ADC gray of the F-106 which can be slightly blue/greenish it shows just how BLUE the Air Superiority Blue is on the early eagles.

• Like 1