1/48 F-15A Air Superiority Blue

This is another stash clearer, I have a GWH F-15c and knew if I built it I would have a hard time going back to the Hasegawa F-15A in the pile.

I wanted to do the early blue scheme with the reddish canopy frame and unique insignia, it reminded me of seeing the first 1/72 scale Monogram kits in the department stores as a child.

I had a couple bottles of Air Superiority Blue saved for it, replaced kit items with an older ESCAPAC seat and different wheels then added the air brake stiffener. Mixed my own metallic green for the cockpit rear.  Decals were mostly Superscale stencils and some Caracal for unit and insignia.

The blue scheme is sort of unique in that it is glossy underneath and matt on top. I used Hataka Air Superiority Blue overall and on the matt areas I added thin coats of Lifecolor Air Superiority Blue (which has slightly purple hue to Hataka’s slightly greenish hue of blue) on the top and sides.

I found referencing the old blue more difficult than expected, luckily I had an old Aeroseries 28 book. It had everything needed for early eagles.

I finished it in a sort of Langley QRF load out.

4DLB7lt.jpgQyojZib.jpgMyDsGTK.jpg?1UPqCtmC.jpgiustXfa.jpggYKsnfI.jpg

q3jjQ1Q.jpgsQIDi2b.jpgaJkC1ZZ.jpgQCSvM9f.jpgy9sFrIY.jpgfrWWo0L.jpg

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

I want to do one of these in 1/72. I like that the weathering is very light, shows off the rare blue nicely. The painting around the metal areas of the engines looks good. What colour did you use for the canopy frame? Did you mix it? I had a hard time getting air superiority blue, found some out of Japan.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

On 12/1/2019 at 5:11 PM, OutcastJoel said:

The rest of the aircraft is gorgeous too but i just kept coming back to the exhausts! 

What did you use for them?

I used a couple of Alclad colors over gloss black. I believe it was Airframe aluminium first, then some White aluminium and Pale burnt metal and I think some burnt iron on the feathers. Their paints can handle masking well. 

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

What colour did you use for the canopy frame? Did you mix it?

I did mix it. I used copper and red as I thought some photos had a slight metallic look to it.

1 hour ago, Ad-4N said:

Where did you source the wheels and seat? 

The seat was an old True Details ESCAPAC I had. It looked too small at first but once in with some added rails it was fine. The wheels were from the old Tamiya F-15A, the old Monogram has them too.

15 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Love it I think it was short live paint from late 70s to early 80s?

Yes, they went for the Compass Gray scheme pretty soon afterward.  Finding good reference photos was tougher than expected because the scheme didn't last long.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, just a brilliant F-15A, I love the crisp blue look and you have done an excellent job replicating it! Are the exhausts nozzles kit items? They look not too dissimilar to my Aires resin ones. I plan to also build an early F-15A and this will be my reference, absolutely top draw!

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Yes, they went for the Compass Gray scheme pretty soon afterward.  Finding good reference photos was tougher than expected because the scheme didn't last long.

I had the same problem, but some here helped me out. I am planning to build a one in 72 scales someday, I have the decals for it tho not the kit lol

• Like 1