RNZAF Short Sunderland MR5

Hi All,

I had been Building this in the Flying Boats Group Build II, but life has come in between,

and I won't get this finished in the next three weeks (December 22), and give it the

attention I want to give it

Below is a link to my build , which includes a Kit  Review

I plan to build this here and post as I build.

I have as yet to fully decide which of the RNZAF "Boats" I want to do (Code wise)

I have some of these photos from my Dads collection to think about

Sunderland+Duo+Lauthala+Bay+copy+1.jpg

Sunderland+Lauthala+Bay+Copy+1.jpg

I hope you might want to join the journey, and feel free to ask questions/comment as we progress

Post more soon

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Hi Alan, sorry to hear about the health issues, been a hell of a year 'up here' too, be glad to see the back of it next month..! You have done a cracking job so far and am following from 'afar' as you go on. That's the beauty of scale modelling, it acts as a 'break' from everything else as one can indulge when you want to and go back to it when life gets in the way, as it's always there waiting for you. I sincerely hope all works out for you in due course, my friend. You know where to find me if you want a chat on flying boats at any time..!

Fellow Kiwi ready and willing to sit in on this build. Hope life will look up for you & brighten up coming into Christmas. I recently went to MOTAT and saw the Sunderland V & Solent which were glorious to behold, such size and awe. Ake ake Kia kaha Alan

On 11/30/2019 at 10:05 PM, seawings said:

Hi Alan, sorry to hear about the health issues, been a hell of a year 'up here' too, be glad to see the back of it next month..! You have done a cracking job so far and am following from 'afar' as you go on. That's the beauty of scale modelling, it acts as a 'break' from everything else as one can indulge when you want to and go back to it when life gets in the way, as it's always there waiting for you. I sincerely hope all works out for you in due course, my friend. You know where to find me if you want a chat on flying boats at any time..!

Hi Bryan,

Really nice to hear from you :thumbsup:

I Really appreciate your comment, you're absolutely right on the modelling

acting as a break from life......

I'll send you an Email over the next few days, got some interesting Mk IV Solent

stuff you might like:D

Talk to you soon

Regards

Alan

On 11/30/2019 at 10:44 PM, Tempestwulf said:

Fellow Kiwi ready and willing to sit in on this build. Hope life will look up for you & brighten up coming into Christmas. I recently went to MOTAT and saw the Sunderland V & Solent which were glorious to behold, such size and awe. Ake ake Kia kaha Alan

Welcome aboard

Thanks for your supportive comments, especially "Ake ake Kia kaha"- I'll certainly do my

best on that :D

The Sunderland and Solent at MOTAT are Glorious, we Kiwi's, have such a rich aviation

heritage, especially in the Flying Boat department:D

Regards

Alan

On 11/30/2019 at 11:45 PM, 71chally said:

I've seen what you've posted on the Sunderland before, so I suspect this is going to be a master build.

Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Hi James,

To quote the song by Glenn Frey -"The Heat is On":D

I hope I can deliver for this build - welcome aboard

Regards

Alan

Just a bit of a brief update for today

So, as you can see from this photo, the Ribbing/stringers only go so far in the fuselage.

The stern area is missing the rear sub bulkheads and tail gunners hatch (Starboard side only)

annotated in red

Sunderland+MR5+Build+3g.jpg

So I have started adding the Stingers (portside), also note I have filled in the wing well

Sunderland+MR5+Build+5a.jpg

From the photo below you can see I have constructed a new Bulkhead which forms the

forward wall of the Forward ward room- the kit part is wrong sorry to say.....

Sunderland+MR5+Build+5b.jpg

The Flight deck sitting on top

Sunderland+MR5+Build+5c.jpg

The step well from the bow deck to the flight deck will go in between

so it will look something like this

Forward+ward+room.jpg

As I am having to replace parts, I am ending up with a pile of "Reduced to Produce" parts

Sunderland+MR5+Build+5i.jpg

The astute among you will notice the bow deck/flooring part there also - more on that later.......

I have puttied the lower deck where necessary as in the photo below

Sunderland+MR5+Build+5h.jpg

The two specks in the Bomb Room are where the crew table was to go. Mk V Sunderland's especially

post WWII one's didn't have Crew bunks or a table as Special Hobby would have you install

I have also started on the flight deck

Removed the "Fictitious bow tunnel floor" - note the forward flight deck bulkhead kit part

Sunderland+MR5+Build+4i.jpg

The Flight deck bulkhead has a lower section that protrudes into the Bow area as in this photo

Sunderland+MR5+Build+5g+%2528Airfix%2529

What the real thing looks like - note the tubular assembly with handle, is for winding the bow turret

in/out

Bow+and+Forward+bulkhead+lower+1.jpg

I have lengthened the "Opening" into the Flight Deck, as it's not a hole as portrayed, and narrowed it a bit.

Sunderland+MR5+Build+4kpg.jpg

Added some putty (didn't work so well):hmmm:

Sunderland+MR5+Build+5f.jpg

What the real thing looks like looking down

Bow+entry+way.jpg

Finally tonight, this photo, is what it looks like from the 1st Pilots seat

View+from+1st+pilots+seat+1.jpg

More soon, thanks for looking in :bye:

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I had planned to restart this thread this Summer, however today

is an anniversary, which gave me cause to kick off a little earlier.

20 Years ago today (Jan 31) (so yesterday but late in posting this) my dear Dad and hero passed away from

an illness.

My Dad was the reason I build models, and why I love the Sunderland/The RNZAF

He helped build my first model Sunderland, he gave me as a birthday present (still

have it in my collection).

My Daughter has taken up the love of this Queen of the Skies, though she never met my Dad, she knows all

about him and, she has a love of the Sunderland. Every year she and I make a pilgrimage to MOTAT, to see

her Grandpa's plane NZ4115

AVvXsEgh8vRMIcVtFt7VpV8g0NLA1s4kTpggop7m

Hobsonville is also a special place for her, as we often go there, recently  the Catalina Cafe for a hot chocolate.

We went together for the Commemoration of the Hobsonville Memorial, remembering all those who went

through the Stations gates (especially her Grandpa), and more especially those that never made their final

landing or Parade

AVvXsEi95KujlZoAHMLYg_rGyBDgjU4Qe3mmwYRc

Last Year a couple of days after her 16th Birthday (before going into Lock down for Covid) we went to MOTAT.

She had the best Birthday gift ever. Because we are both descendants of a Serviceman who served with or

on her, the MOTAT Volunteers organized a tour of NZ4115 Q for Queenie for her.

My Daughters Tour Guide was a Former RNZAF Sunderland Navigator, who served at the same time my Dad

did, especially at Lauthala Bay in Fiji

The Tour Guide answered all her questions, and I believe she is the only 16 year old Young Woman, who

knows how to Synchronize the Propellers of a Sunderland in flight (amongst other things)

My daughter sitting in the 2nd pilots seat

AVvXsEjwHDoUa0mZk1bht1Ez_nvQN51y50lI-mrg

NZ4115 in the Braby at Hobby (I have been on the Braby, and boarded a Sunderland in there)

WhG3801-61.t5d4cc048.m600.x0ooudKO7.JPG

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

Onto the build - This will be a Glacial type thing initially, as I have a couple of other WIP's in progress

that I want to get out of the way first.

I have been slowly working over the Main frame/bulkhead at bow entry to the flight deck, and

the Forward Wardroom forward Bulkhead

AVvXsEhwL4rppIKgpon2-9uW-_nj03rKnl8txtxW

The SH kit part are a set of Stairs, but on the real aircraft they are steps

AVvXsEgfgP7PI0X_6BXIgpi5UpmSjm8FB0eLELpY

Real thing

AVvXsEj3PcrbQOKtL_wpHa-8DTG5ScCGb16WLWHE

Close up of step and mounting - note perforations at rear of step

AVvXsEi79Pxm7BGJZt68HwGsZp5KyDyWpYSTgx16

Yeah, mine doesn't have the perforations, 8 odd steps by about 8 perforations - I'd still be there, or going

blind:D

Additional shots of the Bow entry/entry way to Forward Ward Room and entry to WC (Water Closet/Toilet)

Nothing is glued as yet, you can see the Blue tack, holding it together, but you get the general idea of what

it should look like

AVvXsEjIsNaK91kFyILGfHqjCyFyBVVPwAiKrg2s

AVvXsEjA_qddcQCInJ0DxJKgPeBcjQNLaSgcMs6v

WC side will scratch build the toilet and basin

AVvXsEgBc6qhDGuoZfmmAjrS8ZuOXVVI0bl0Xqh_

Finally the Forward Ward room forward frame/bulkhead (try saying that 3 times fast :smartass:)

AVvXsEhZxUIwRGiO1uL4gYjO20t5osA-q_sRL2hm

I will need to manufacture the sonobuoy station along with adding wall strengthening plates as in the photo

below

AVvXsEgABxKB_Svm5kbb2Kiw1kujqg1fk9rWMSRz

This is all in the forward Ward room Starboard side, you can just make out the mess table bottom LHS of

photo - Note this the forward Ward room, not the Galley as I have seen it called by some "Expert" in a

Sunderland build article

From the Sunderland Mk V notes

AVvXsEipjWsrCQCotAVihXB26-oXE9K1Z2YY9T6O

Below I have worked out the scale and made appropriate measurements - given

the scale the frame may/will be copper wire or similar

AVvXsEi_iYF6B4cMd_-DR44bja1DHmhg4p3dW0lS

Absolute final, looking at the upper deck roof, I will need to add in the access hatch to the bay behind the

Instrument panel rear and semi bulkhead Panel

AVvXsEiVc4IeUSD7z35eB_0tJVx7hRPLOGs2NRoI

Anyway, hope it's of interest :D

More to come

Regards

Alan

• Like 12

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I'm glad to see you back on this one.

It will be nice to see it done properly.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, I have a cunning scheme to sort the upper insert that I have seen you

working on in your build. We'll wait and seen if it works :D

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yeah, great to see this back on again and some nice progress too.  Hope you are well, does this mean the other thread is back too ?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am well thank you, as I trust you are too?

As I mentioned above it was timely to kick this off again. What I didn't mention

is that my Dad never built himself a Sunderland model, so I 'll finish this one for him.

Yes, I will post more on the other two threads, Buffalo and Target Tugs.

Kind Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Chris,

I am well thank you, as I trust you are too?

As I mentioned above it was timely to kick this off again. What I didn't mention

is that my Dad never built himself a Sunderland model, so I 'll finish this one for him.

Yes, I will post more on the other two threads, Buffalo and Target Tugs.

Kind Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan , I am all good thank you, what a lovely tribute to your Dad too.

I look forward to seeing the Buffalo and Target Tug threads too.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alan, your skills and Sunderland knowledge are a joy to behold! I've saved your Mk.III mods on the Airfix kit for a build I'm planning of a RAAF Sunderland after I retire. Thank you, Sir!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I've saved your Mk.III mods on the Airfix kit for a build I'm planning of a RAAF Sunderland after I retire. Thank you, Sir!

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your kind words, and that my Airfix Sunderland Build is of help to you

and others.

I've actually  been thinking of re-posting the build at some point (maybe after this one is done),

so it's all there in one place

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 5:57 PM, LDSModeller said:

I've actually  been thinking of re-posting the build at some point (maybe after this one is done),

so it's all there in one place

Yes, please!

• 10 months later...

Hi All,

A Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I decided to crack on with this build, have been slowly pottering away with this, so an an update.

So Far:

The forward bow bulkhead with doors to the Water Closet (head/bathroom),

and Cloak Room - Special Hobby have not included a door for this, which there is.

You can also see the structural strengtheners on rear of Water Closet

b4ecc5d1-2ffa-45a8-9b35-44d9ebeec39d.jpg

In this photo of NZ4115, you can see the Cloak room door and gun holders behind

80ac3eb2-8e8e-4eb6-b72e-3a5db9d175fb.jpg

Water Closet door note strengtheners on rear wall

06d093bf-c3d6-4d4e-a667-830563a4d733.jpg

So since my last update post, I have worked on the Sonobouy cage, took

a few rounds and at times I felt like Muttley below :wall:

Muttley "Not having a Great day"

So, photo of the partly completed cage, note previous attempt to lower right

fa672c3b-4d93-4e18-a704-8036fc1ca7ce.jpg

Cage more closer to completion

Note also the rear Cloak room wall with gun holders in place

84019f45-e347-4cdb-9d26-7a19e2ad5fd0.jpg

I added bulkhead strengtheners to Wardroom wall, you can see the sonobuoy cage sitting in place

(not glued)

f5036415-70f0-440e-a8a1-09927109a098.jpg

This is the Wall of NZ4115 showing strengtheners and Sonobuoy cage open position, with operator chair

stowed

880526fd-cdfb-43ea-838d-410fe7677fc1.jpg

Note also below the cage, the forward ward room flood gate (will be added to model in due course)

This is a photo of an RNZAF Signaler operating the Sonobuoy station - I actually have one of those cloth head covers (mask and all)

it's at my parent/sister place in Adelaide though

WhG13584-58.t636ae671.m800.xTwP-Hcu8.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

I found it interesting that ML824 at Hendon does not have this station. Further investigation (Sunderland - Ocean Sentenial) shows

that according to the information published, ML824 began life as a Sunderland Mk III, but was held back for conversion to Mk V .

Now for a more restful post (pun intended, but was not so restful;))

Ward room bunks

Special Hobby for some inane reason have chosen to have bunks in the Forward Ward room. Bomb Room and Rear Ward room.

de8c53fc-10a4-4c08-984a-b0a2128f7c0e.jpg

The forward and rear are correct, but in a Mk V/MR5, No for bunks in the bomb room.

A Mk I/II may well have, but these were only by special order to Shorts, not all inclusive during production.

Forward Ward Room (yeah not my pillow)

c73dacc6-35e6-48a1-9d3e-dd1df7c40dc4.jpg

Rear Ward room

5f23260a-c085-4072-a227-201fc6ae0111.jpg

So you have now seen what the bunks look like right?

So with that, can someone please explain why SH chose to make the bed part look like a front bench seat

from a 1950/60's sedan?

e9ac3ace-d2d7-456e-b04e-9c41374d35ff.jpg

So this just does not sit well with me (yes perfectionist coming out:D), so I had to rectify this!

Note this photo of the canvas bed section (raised) of the bed, and inside the actual bunk well - note curved

strengtheners under canvas

417ddebb-4534-4a7f-ba12-ec6205b19a12.jpg

So I built the bunks in two parts - I have to confess Muttley made an appearance again

d251d905-2841-464c-a8c6-32a7b0d3efa8.jpg

I made the supports by bending some thin styrene rod around a drill bit, and leaving in some just boiled

water until it cooled. - Worked a treat (mostly)

4a7e3ce2-f0e6-4535-bff4-5d89572cdf3a.jpg

and Voila 4 bunks :D will have to paint before adding the "canvas sections"

5a01ed4d-b429-49ed-b102-9cb024612487.jpg

Now there may those reading who may think why not sand off the offending rise right?

Yes you would be perfectly right in thinking that - much easier too

9bd67af1-ea3a-4d86-971e-6c3638c54b58.jpg

Finally the ward room table - SH instructions below

b666df65-7bb1-418c-9364-d1e740b7b0eb.jpg

As you can see I have measured the SH middle section of the table,  19.5mm, note the parts are all the same

width

845c10c5-5ae6-4d4b-a6ef-9491aedfbc2d.jpg

Now look at the real thing on NZ4115, also note the more narrow middle section

fd5f8aef-5867-4092-a811-44d4f8161e12.jpg

So, 107cm works out to 14.86mm (round off to 15mm) in 1/72 scale.

Going to have to make a new one;)

Well that's all for today, more soon:D

I hope you enjoy, and thanks for looking in.

Regards

Alan

• Like 7