corogard decals - does anyone make them?

Michael51

I may have the spelling wrong but I do mean those upper wing parts that are a darker grey. Are such decals for my Revell A380 available and indeed, for A320/ 321 types?

Any advice would be appreciated

Michael

Sorry, I've just remembered Richard Warcup. He does Corroguard decals and I think he covers the A380. He doesn't have a website but he's on Facebook under the name Richws model airliner decals. You have to join his Facebook group but he's a good guy and very helpful. He is or was a member of Britmodeller but I haven't seen him around for a while.

Dave G

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Michael51 said:

Thanks Dave,

Join Facebook? That's a leap of faith for an old man like me,

Michael

Well I'm 67 but I don't feel particularly old .....  I'm only on Facebook so that I can belong to groups and get access to useful stuff like the local Community Council page. I definitely don't do the social media thing!

Before you launch yourself on Facebook you could try a pm to @RICHW although, as I said, I haven't seen him on Britmodeller for a while.

(Edit - I've just found Richard's latest decal list which includes his e-mail address.  I'll pm it to you shortly)

• Like 1

Richard is also on ebay (ricwarcup). 

As Dave mentions, 8a is a source for the A320 family. He has two choices - silk screen and laser. Each time I try to order the silk screen its always unavailable so I buy the laser ones instead. Actually not too bad though I feel it's on the lighter side of "standard" look. Below it's applied over xtracolor Airbus grey.

20191130-105912.jpg

(please ignore the incorrect wing escape route markings, they should be black and not red but I can't find any!)

In the past I've mixed up a top colour from dark grey and some metallic paint for other planes.

With the A380, my own preference would be to paint this as handling decals this size would try my patience too much.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Well I'm 67 but I don't feel particularly old .....  I'm only on Facebook so that I can belong to groups and get access to useful stuff like the local Community Council page. I definitely don't do the social media thing!

Before you launch yourself on Facebook you could try a pm to @RICHW although, as I said, I haven't seen him on Britmodeller for a while.

(Edit - I've just found Richard's latest decal list which includes his e-mail address.  I'll pm it to you shortly)

Thanks Dave,

Your common sense approach to Facebook does not allay my irrational fear of such media.

I will try to contact Richard by pm.

Michael

7 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Richard is also on ebay (ricwarcup). 

As Dave mentions, 8a is a source for the A320 family. He has two choices - silk screen and laser. Each time I try to order the silk screen its always unavailable so I buy the laser ones instead. Actually not too bad though I feel it's on the lighter side of "standard" look. Below it's applied over xtracolor Airbus grey.

20191130-105912.jpg

(please ignore the incorrect wing escape route markings, they should be black and not red but I can't find any!)

In the past I've mixed up a top colour from dark grey and some metallic paint for other planes.

With the A380, my own preference would be to paint this as handling decals this size would try my patience too much.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you for the lead and the advice; most appreciated,

Michael

A few years ago Airbus replaced Coroguard with a material called Aeroflex which is more grey in appearance. I don't know if you can get Revell paint in Oz but Revell 374 (enamel or Aqua at your discretion) is a good match. I used Aqua on an A319  and an A321 which should give you an idea of how it looks. If you can't get Revell paint, any of the online conversion charts will give you alternatives from Humbrol and many other ranges.

I have to say that I agree with Jeff about it often being easier to paint than use decals, particularly for larger areas. No matter how careful you are you can find a speck of dust or a hair trapped under the decal which can be a real problem to fix whereas with paint a quick rub down and respray will sort most imperfections.

I have sent you a pm with Richard's e-mail address if you still want to go down the decal route.

Dave G

• Like 1

Dave, Ray,

I have sent a pm to RichW. Thanks.

Dave, I look forward to that pm with the decal list and contact.

I have received an email from Richard at RJS ( I am assuming this is a different person) and he is investigating mail costs and will get back to me,

Forum members have been very helpful, so thanks again ,

Michael

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Xtracolour X331 is Coroguard, providing it's available.

Its still in the range, but whether the poster can get it in Aus I dont know.

If its the same stuff the US Navy used to use for leading egdes then I find the dull metalcote from Humbrol works.

Julien

• Like 1

No, not available in Australia and Hannants only post their acrylics, of which I have loads. They will not post the enamels.

I will work something out from the acrylics.

Michael

Michael, as I said earlier Airbus stopped using Coroguard a few years ago so the Xtracolor paint isn't strictly accurate for current Airbus aircraft. Revell 374 or its equivalent is closer. If you want an acrylic mix that is reasonably like Coroguard (bearing in mind that Coroguard isn't actually a colour and its appearance can vary significantly due to lighting conditions, weathering and other factors) I suggest Tamiya XF16 and XF56 in the ratio of roughly 3:2. 

Richard Warcup and Richard of RJS Decals are different people. I sent you a pm with Richard Warcup's e-mail address yesterday but you need to pm me your own e-mail so I can send his decal list - I can't send it as an attachment through this site.

Dave G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 2:59 AM, Michael51 said:

Thanks Dave,

Join Facebook? That's a leap of faith for an old man like me,

Michael

My mum is 91 and an avid Facebook user.  She sends me links all the time to family tree related stuff, and she's put me in touch with cousins so distant we would have never known we were related but for her and her FBing.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 6:57 PM, Michael51 said:

No, not available in Australia and Hannants only post their acrylics, of which I have loads. They will not post the enamels.

I will work something out from the acrylics.

Michael

Michael,

I have had success mixing my own corogard using Tamiya Acrylics. I use their metallic grey, and mixed a little amount of a lighter grey to take the edge off it. If you look at pictures of corogarded wings you will see you get a range of colours.

I used that mix on this Minicraft B777 back in 2005

49226965686_35a5126e8a_b.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Ray,

Yes, it does seem Coroguard and whatever seems to be used these days as a replacement is getting lighter in colour.

I will try out your idea on a Revell A320 that I have.

A very nice 777 by the way.

The F-DCALS for the Air France A380 arrived yesterday; all those windows that need to be in nice straight lines - another reason to practice on the A320.

I really should have learnt the ropes on that A320 before committing to that A380. It's a monster.

Michael

• Like 1