1/18 - Messerschmitt Me.262A-1a Schwalbe by Hobby Boss - released

Homebee

HobbyBoos?  *Slightly* worrying from a QC point of view that they can't get their own name right on the decal sheet...  However, I admit that English expressed in a western typeset isn't their first language!

• Like 2

Slightly more worrying to me is that these are 1/18 scale kits with 1/72 scale levels of detail. I bought the AV-8B+ because it’s an 1/18th scale Harrier, but it’s not close to the level of detail that is incorporated into the 1/32nd kit. The wheel wells on the Fw 190s are a joke. I’ll be interested to see a review on this new 262. Maybe the popularity of the subject will encourage some company to produce some aftermarket detail sets for it but the market is going to be limited because who has room to display a 1/18 Me 262.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Erwin said:

The Dauntless isn't that bad.

I think shapewise it’s fine, but there is more detail in the Accurate Miniatures 1/48 kit. The Dauntless and the Harrier were meant to be, and were, sold as pre-built, pre-decorated models. Consequently, they couldn’t be very complicated to build without being ruinously expensive to buy. Hopefully, with the 262, the philosophy will have been more towards producing a kit than something that could be mass-assembled.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 10:53 PM, Phas3e said:

It looks to me like the type of kit that a 262 lover is going to get a kick out of detailing.

Or a modeller, like me, that doesn't care to much about detail.But likes big models.

I have build the Dauntless.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 3

On 3/8/2020 at 6:47 PM, VMA131Marine said:

Slightly more worrying to me is that these are 1/18 scale kits with 1/72 scale levels of detail. I bought the AV-8B+ because it’s an 1/18th scale Harrier, but it’s not close to the level of detail that is incorporated into the 1/32nd kit. The wheel wells on the Fw 190s are a joke. I’ll be interested to see a review on this new 262. Maybe the popularity of the subject will encourage some company to produce some aftermarket detail sets for it but the market is going to be limited because who has room to display a 1/18 Me 262.

It would have a wingspan of 69cm on that scale. Not outrageously large for me personally but, I do accept your point about some being put off by the size.

I am, like you more concerned about the lack of detail. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the toy like appearance of the AV-8B!

I actually almost bought it when I saw it on special offer but, thankfully I did a bit of research first. What I saw did not impress me at all.

I cannot help wondering how many modellers are going to be very disappointed by this kit because, they will probably be expecting a big, super detailed kit.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

On 3/9/2020 at 7:47 PM, Erwin said:

The Fw is +- 100 Euro's.Still a bit high for me.The Me 262 about the same ?

The Fw-190 you can get for about €75,-, the Me-262 will cost me €83,-, that´s a good price compared to the CMK/Special Hobby one they offered me for €1.200,- at a model show.

It´s a welcome addition to my 1/18 Luftwaffe collection.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:10 AM, Albeback52 said:

I cannot help wondering how many modellers are going to be very disappointed by this kit because, they will probably be expecting a big, super detailed kit. 

Certainly not the ones who checked the price tag. If it was an all-singing, all-dancing kit like that I wouldn't expect much change out of £250. £90 means it'll be a big, impressive canvas to either become a superdetailed mega-project or just build OOB

• Like 4

A little more than a blank paper to start with but certainly a bargain with the price tag. 1/18 scale is a nice one to improve one's scratch building capabilities.

17 hours ago, Alan P said:

Certainly not the ones who checked the price tag. If it was an all-singing, all-dancing kit like that I wouldn't expect much change out of £250. £90 means it'll be a big, impressive canvas to either become a superdetailed mega-project or just build OOB

For not much more than £90 you can buy a large, super detailed, complex kit like the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon or F6-F (albeit in a 25% smaller scale) so,

they might very well just compare like with like and.,in all innocence, think "Wow! an absolute bargain"!

However, if they have seen the actual pictures of what's in the box first, then I would certainly agree with you.

I think that this is very much a case of  let the buyer beware? 😊

I personally consider £250-£300 to be an outrageous price for any model kit so, from my perspective, I wouldn't even consider looking  at an all singing, all dancing 262 at anything over half these prices but, that's just me! 😂

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

If a modeler is content with what comes with the box, it is a good price. If a modeler wishes to improve the model by extra detailing and riveting etc, it is still again a good offering. 

• Like 3

To those commenting on the lack of detail, remember this a Hobbyboss product, as a company they don't target the modeller who wants a highly detailed kit out of the box.

I've built a few of their 1/72 scale kits, they're cheap, very easy to build and (depending on the individual kit) can give a good representation of overall shape of the subject aircraft. Their weakness is their lack of fine detail, often just smooth featureless plastic in the cockpit and wheel wells for instance, but, at least when built canopy down, this isn't apparent when the completed model is being viewed from a few feet away in a display cabinet. 

This kit really just follows the same marketing and production philosophy. 

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...