Airbrushing clamps?

Michael Morris

I'm just starting down the long and winding road that is airbrush painting.  I've got my first airbrush and compressor and will now spend a few evenings practicing with it before subjecting any models to my doubtless ineptitude.

I see from various YouTube videos that some people spray small parts holding them on bottom-weighted wooden sticks with a crocodile clip on the top.  

I presume the shafts are just kebab skewers and the clips just cheap clips one can buy on eBay.  Is this correct?

What is the best method for constructing a simple weighted base to hold the stick?

Thanks

How about some cocktail sticks with blu-tac on the end to hold the part and bits of foam packaging to hold the cocktail sticks? 

To do one side of something use a piece of card and some blu-tac.

And a small clamp or two.

Like this.

Mark

Ydt7aipl.jpg

1 hour ago, Michael Morris said:

I'm just starting down the long and winding road that is airbrush painting.  I've got my first airbrush and compressor and will now spend a few evenings practicing with it before subjecting any models to my doubtless ineptitude.

I see from various YouTube videos that some people spray small parts holding them on bottom-weighted wooden sticks with a crocodile clip on the top.  

I presume the shafts are just kebab skewers and the clips just cheap clips one can buy on eBay.  Is this correct?

What is the best method for constructing a simple weighted base to hold the stick?

Thanks

Out of interest. Which airbrush and compressor did you go for? 

Currently looking at the ultra 2 in 1.

11 minutes ago, ToonarmY said:

Out of interest. Which airbrush and compressor did you go for? 

Currently looking at the ultra 2 in 1.

It looks as though your budget is considerably larger than mine!  I bought a Switzer A081-069 compressor and two airbrush kit from eBay.  Under £90 delivered.  

I know some people will doubtless say I should have spent more, but my total budget was £100 max, so it's the best I could afford.

I have a cat scratch board like this, but I found it at some local place a lot cheaper. After all, it's just a hunk of corrugated cardboard...

The sticks with clips are also available ready-to-use, like this. I know some people swear by these sorts of device, but I mostly use skewers stuck into holes (for wheels and such), or stuck on with sticky stuff or tape, or locking tweezers.

BTW, do spend time learning to use your airbrush. Remember that models aren't flat, so don't just practice on flat cardboard or paper.  Look for oddly shaped things to paint. Egg cartons and various vacuum-formed packaging can give you some good practice.