1/72 Sword Seafires, five kit set

72modeler

Just now saw this on the Big H website! A limited edition re-release of the Mk IIc, LF III, XV early and late, and the XVII. For those of you like me who have just about given up hope of seeing the long ago announced Special Hobby kits, here's your chance! (I guess we can deal with the span and other issues, pending more accurate kits.)

Mike

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SW72129?&currency_id=1

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Well, if I had not built the IIC and XV  and have the III and 17 in the stash, I would be after these like a shot. They are not completely stress free kits, but do build up and look nice. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dang no money or id scoop this up ! 

I know the feeling. Not a good time of year to be splashing out on these but I'd really like this set.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bedders said:

Good spot Mike. I feel a Spitfire XII conversion coming on...

Hmmmm...Seafire XV early without all the naval gear? Just need to clip the wingtips, find some smooth wheel cover wheels, and the elevators without the extended horns, for starters- a lot easier than trying to find a Paragon XII conversion or grafting a Griffon nose on a Mk Vc or VIII fuselage and dealing with the extra radiator on the VIII. Good idea!

Mike

Such a shame it's not 1/48...  But...  I have a SH MkIII in the stash, I'm hoping to be on Santa's good list this year for another, I also have 2 x MkXVII  and a Mk47 from Airfix clamouring for my attention at some time...

So many kits - so little time....

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Hmmmm...Seafire XV early without all the naval gear? Just need to clip the wingtips, find some smooth wheel cover wheels, and the elevators without the extended horns, for starters- a lot easier than trying to find a Paragon XII conversion or grafting a Griffon nose on a Mk Vc or VIII fuselage and dealing with the extra radiator on the VIII. Good idea!

Mike

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Just what I thought, that early Seafire XV would lend itself to it ever so well.

Steve.

Erm, you boys do realise you'll have to deal with the extra radiator on the Seafire XV as well? :unsure:

• Like 1

I saw this listed in the Hyperscale daily web page today. No details other than the 5 variants mentioned. Still, Seafires are wanted by a lot of modellers, myself included. Can't wait for them to be offered in the USA.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 1:36 PM, Bedders said:

Good spot Mike. I feel a Spitfire XII conversion coming on...

If they're straight reboxes of the original Sword plastic, the Seafire III came with a spare Vc wing and the Seafire 17 with a spare Seafire 15 fuselage - you're halfway there.  Add in the Quickboost resin top cowl for the Fujimi Griffon Spits (will need surgery), spare tailplanes from an AZ mk IX, larger oil cooler from the Airfix Spitfire IIa/Va, rudder, guns, u/c, doors, wheels tailwheel and doors from the Eduard kits.  You've pretty much got all you need largely from spares.  I think you just have to source a radiator, canopy and prop from somewhere else.

Despite having multiples of the originals in the stash, I've got one on order for completist reasons.

• Like 2

Dont know why i did it, but thanks to this thread, i took the plunge and my backorder has just been raised to on its way!

Wooksta, if they do turn up as straight reboxings, the spare Mk.III wings were on their way to a spare AZ mk.IX fuselage, but i may have to utilize the info you have posted. Just need to get the mojo back for my Spitfire project as i am just about to record a blank year for completed kits!

Arabest,

Geoff.

Horribly tempting, isn't it.    But five? 

From my experience of bodging an extra kit with the Seafire III spares, the one thing I found difficult to find was the tailwheel.  But perhaps the Hasegawa Spit IX/VIII has one?  Or Eduard?

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Horribly tempting, isn't it.    But five? 

From my experience of bodging an extra kit with the Seafire III spares, the one thing I found difficult to find was the tailwheel.  But perhaps the Hasegawa Spit IX/VIII has one?  Or Eduard?

Would have thought there would be a fair amount of interest for ones surplus to individual need via the Sales & Wants section. Which marks are on your list? I wouldn't mind a couple of the Griffon ones

I'd have thought there would be a glut on the market with people offering their spares, so you should be able to find sellers of the Griffon ones fairly easily.  Unless everyone is devoted to building up their stashes, of course.  It comes hard but I have to admit that I don't need more Seafires.  I have at least four Merlin Seafires and two Griffon in my stash, only one a Sword with their short wings (I know it is barely noticeable, but it niggles).

Horribly tempting yes, irresistible no.  Sorry.  I must admit to a hope that Airfix will realise that a rumoured new release (no, Airfix mag wasn't out in WHSmaug this morning) would give them a shortcut to a Seafire.  I find it very surprising that in all these decades they have never released a 1/72 Seafire - very limited Club released excepted.  I think I would find that irresistible.