Sky Models 1/48 Beech T-34C Turbo Mentor

Well here's a kit I've not seen finished very often: Sky Models' 1/48 Beech T-34C Turbo Mentor. It was produced in 1999 and they never made any decals for it. This is finished in a mix of Mr Color and Hataka laquers with (rather inaccurate) decals from the later Czech Model kit. It's all resin aside from the poorly made vacformed canopy. It's rather crude, and one of the most challenging paint schemes I've ever undertaken, and I've written an extensive build article here: https://jonbryon.com/sky-models-1-48-beechcraft-t-34c-turbo-mentor

Any comments welcome

Jon

t34c_11.jpg

t34c_32.jpg

t34c_03.jpg

t34c_20.jpg

t34c_10.jpg

t34c_08.jpg

t34c_46.jpg

t34c_56.jpg

t34c_59.jpg

t34c_63.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, janneman36 said:

Great build, got the same one in the stash and when it came available those little kits were very expensive ....

They certainly were! Fortunately Hannants sold them off at a 75% discount in 2003, which is when I bought this one :)

Jon

• Thanks 1

Beautifully done.  I checked out your build article--what a load of work to get such a great look.  FYI, the scoop under fuselage near the center of the wing is a fresh air intake for the rear cockpit and what appears to be a pitot tube coming from the leading edge of the left wing is a sensor for the angle of attack system. 

• Like 1

Well Jon, despite the many travails, inaccuracies and challenges, that looks just great! Very nice finish and a cool scheme. Shame about the canopy but the overall impression is neat and tidy. And you are right - a rarity indeed - I've never seen one built up before. Love it but I doubt I could ever achieve a result like yours.

The T-34 is an oddity really - Into service in the late 70s - every time I've ever visited a NAS there were always some of these buzzing about and I believe a few remain in service today at a few odd locations such as NAS Fallon - but no mainstream kit ever? I guess in part this is due to a lack of US model manufacturers but I can't believe that Monogram never did it in their heyday. 

Cheers

Malcolm

Edited by Baldy
Wrong type shown
  • Like 1

Monogram had the T-28 in USAAF and USN versions, in 1/48, in their range for a very long time, possibly starting from late 50s?  Maybe early 60s.  Heller had the Fennec version in 1/72.  Both were quite excellent kits in their time.

If you actually mean the T-34 Hasegawa had a lovely kit in 1/72:  I suspect that there was a larger one many years back from some US company but cannot confirm.

22 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

If you actually mean the T-34 Hasegawa had a lovely kit in 1/72:  I suspect that there was a larger one many years back from some US company but cannot confirm.

Collectaire made one, I presume in the 1990s, and Czech Model came along with an injection-moulded one in 2002. The current definitive T-28 in 1/48 is that made by Roden.

Jon

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Monogram had the T-28 in USAAF and USN versions, in 1/48, in their range for a very long time, possibly starting from late 50s?  Maybe early 60s.  Heller had the Fennec version in 1/72.  Both were quite excellent kits in their time.

Doh! Of course - I meant the T-34. Don't recall any in 1/48.

Cheers

Malcolm