Osprey question.

Badder

I wasn't sure where to post this, military aviation, commercial, sci-fi or what, but plumped for here.

I'm making my way throught the entire series of 'UFO' the 70s  British Sci-fi classic, with Ed Straker and co, and in episode 7 or 8 there was a scene featuring an aircraft which may as well have been an Osprey. Now, either the concept was already around in 1969  (the date of release for the given episode) or Gerry Anderson and co were ahead of their time, or  phsycic. WAS there any such aircraft around back then, or one on the drawing board?

Rearguards,

Badder

There was the LTV XC-142A which first flew in 1964.

1280px-Ling-Temco-Vought_XC-142A.jpg

Or the Canadair CL-84 which first flew in 1965. Either could have inspired the aircraft on UFO, which I'm now going to have to track down!

Canadair_CL-84.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Edit: was this the one?

tilt_rotor.jpg

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 3

On 29/11/2019 at 14:30, lasermonkey said:

was this the one?

tilt_rotor.jpg

Yeah, that was the one Mark. Thanks. I had no idea the concept was around back then.

Rearguards,

Badder

BTW, one thing thr UFO makers DID invent was a new pronunciation of the word 'telemetry'. There was a scene in the launch control room and a guy is calling out for confirmation of pre-launch checks. It was all loud and snappy, as one might expect. 'Booster' GO! Retros GO! Guidance. GO! and then the actor faltered, lowered his volume and mumbled 'Tell-a-me-tree'. How that got through the rushes I will never know lol.

Edited by Mike
Removing excess photos from quote
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...