Blistering barnacles! Another 'Tintin' aircraft...Bab el-Ehr's Mosquito...

I promise...this is the last of the Tintin aircraft!  In 'The Red Sea Sharks' we get to see the Mossie several times throughout the book.  The first is in the found wallet of General Alcazar, ousted by his perennial rival General Tapioca.  News clippings, a bit of nosing around...

Then we see the Mossies at work in the desert, trying to get Tintin and Haddock and accidentally blowing up their own armoured cars instead.  Nice graphics in those panels.  The final sighting is when Tintin and Haddock are strafed while onboard the dhow and our boy reporter manages to shoot one of them down with what looks like a surplus MP44...enter Piotr Skut.

Herge really had some nice art work in this book, beautifully drawn and coloured.  I'll be using a venerable kit as well...

spacer.png

A few panels, some backstory...I always liked the newspaper add advertising the sale...those initials happen to be my own, albeit in a different order!

spacer.png

Nice colours...and decal placement...

spacer.png

All at sea...are the guns in the right places?  I thought they were all in a line...might have to fiddle with that.

spacer.png

And we're off.  In a bit.  I want to finish up the Seagull for the other GB first.

--JDCM

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Another Great looking idea. The artist changed the nose on the Mosquito and replaced it with the nose from a Westland whirlwind. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Whirlwind_(fighter)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/295408056802201949/

Though to be fair you could probably mount the cannons like this in a bomber/recce version of the mosquito if it were a modified plane ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

changed the nose

And so will I.  It's just a matter of filling in the holes, drilling new ones and scratch-building 4 gun barrels.  "Easy-peasy", so he said...famous last words!

Thanks for the links Dennis...

• Like 5

Hey!  We're back!  Mojo restored!  So I'll be building 3 kits on the bench at this point (Seagull, Bristol M.1C and Mossie...)  Many thanks to the mods for fixing this.

I'll get into it soon.  I think I'll start with the nose/gun modification.

--John

• Like 5

Ok...the Seagull is done and I set about to begin the Mossie...quick work as it s one of the older Airfix kits, designed for younger fingers than mine to build up over a rainy weekend!  

As promised, I fixed the nose.  I used the Mk.VI nose,  filled in the extraneous holes with Milliput and drilled two more.  I'll just glue in the gun barrels separately.  Easy enough.

spacer.png

Then I set about assembling the larger components and the 'halves' that I could assemble.  Not to worry!  I didn't not forget the landing lights in the wings!

spacer.png

And primed the rest of the smaller pieces including the cockpit interior bits.  I will be painting them an interior cockpit green, much like the Spits of the era unless anyone had a better idea.  I am assuming that Bab El Ehr's ground crew and pilots did not repaint the insides!

spacer.png

--John

• Like 8

A bit more...the office, and the closing up of the fuselage.

spacer.png

I skipped the seat harnesses on this one.  I am not sure how much will be visible once the canopy is on.  "Not much" would be my guess.

spacer.png

All closed up.  I had to insert the tail wheel at this stage.  I could have done it later, I suppose, just snipped of the mounting nubbins, but oh well...

spacer.png

--John

• Like 11

There is a lesson here for me to remember.  Just because two pieces look like matching halves does not mean they are.  I made that mistake with the engine nacelles and was at a loss as to why they did not fit on the wings.  Well, perhaps I should have followed the instructions to begin with.  I had to pride them apart and glue them correctly.  No damage, thankfully.  Now they fit well enough although there are plenty of places where filler and sanding will be needed.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

And we push on!

--John

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yep been there to. 😐

I suspect that most of us have at one time or another. My latest goof was forgetting the slight anhedral on my Scimitar's wings in the current KUTA! Usually happens when I am rushing things like when I am building multiple kits for a GB, or at least that is my current excuse.😁

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 3

Few bits and pieces...

Did up the nose guns...Pretty obvious what I did and how.

spacer.png

Undercarriage parts are ready for paint and assembly.   I removed the moulded axles and will be using Evergreen rod as a replacement.

spacer.png

Props are tipped with trainer yellow.  I'll mask them off tomorrow and give it some flat black.

spacer.png

Exhausts are painted.  I gave them a rusty black first and then dry brushed a black/bronze afterwards.

spacer.png

I'll send the wheels and gear down to the paint shop tomorrow and mask off the canopy.

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 5

Very nice, John. I love the Tin Tin adventures. I cant see any mention of it but what decals are you using? Blue Rider do some great Tin Tin decals :). 

cd003_show.jpg

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Thanks Martin.  If you peruse this GB you'll see that this is the fourth Tintin aircraft I have included.  Yes...I am using the Blue Rider set.  So far I have built a Spitfire, a Mi-1M, and a Bf-109.  Very fun!

--John

• Like 2