Trumpeter Challenger Woes

Alpha Juliet

Sorry if this a repeat of someone else's thread - but...

Is anyone else building this kit?  If yes, do you find that the kit is of poor quality?  E.g. Flash in difficult to reach places (and too much flash in general); brittle parts; badly fitting parts; poor fit etc?

I'm building it at the moment and it's a bit of a pig!  (to the point where I've thought of stopping and moving on to a Tamiya version).

It might become my first shelf queen!

12 hours ago, ivan-o said:

I must admit to the same feelings and if it wasn’t for the fact I had invested in a lot of after market for it the bin was very tempting 😀is this the original kit or the second one?

Not sure.  It’s the KFOR one, without the enhanced armour.

The kit was released back in 2003 so it’s not up to Trumpeters standards of today’s releases. It’s not a great kit but can be built into a decent representation with care, if you want a cheap Chally 2 then it’s a good buy. Plenty of test fitting and cleaning up of parts is required. Trumpeter have really come on since this kit was released and their newer kits are of a very high quality indeed.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

To be fair to Trumpeter they have revisited and retooled aspects of this kit a couple of times, after the initial release they corrected some inaccuracies regarding the position of a couple of fuel filler caps and also some dimensional inaccuracies around the front mudguards, I think they also improved the fit of the turret bins too.

The original kit was reissued with the retooled parts but there is no indication on the boxes to say so, and there are still original issue kits in circulation, the Airfix release supposedly had the revised parts too, but I picked up one from eBay last year that seems to have the original unaltered parts, of course being secondhand that could be down to the seller mixing and matching kits and boxes. 

The Kosovo and Op Telic releases had the retooled parts from the outset.

The later Enhanced Armour kit has substantial changes to the moulds including a simpler all new turret without seperate bins, essentially only the hull and part of the running gear are common to the earlier kits, it is overall a much better kit to build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies chaps - there are some things I really like about the kit - but the fit and the flash are a nightmare!  BUT Ivan-o's piccy gives me hope! (well done matey!)

On 30/11/2019 at 08:48, ivan-o said:

Stick with it AJ they usually come out ok in the end 😀

This is the KFOR kit admittedly with a few extras.

Ivan

I do have two Tamiya Challengers waiting in the stash - must say, on the sprue, both look better by far.

Maybe, I'll use this one to gain experience with chipping and rust etc.  

Edited by Julien
please dont reply and include pictures
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kit is built... still not happy with it.  Got a lot of fettling to do before I even think to painting it.  I think I'm going to build the earlier Challenger model because it will have a similar paint job - and it means I only have to set up the compressor etc, the once.  Photo's to come, but not when it's in this state!

• Like 1

On 03/12/2019 at 11:11, AntPhillips said:

The later Enhanced Armour kit has substantial changes to the moulds including a simpler all new turret without seperate bins, essentially only the hull and part of the running gear are common to the earlier kits, it is overall a much better kit to build.

"up armored" box is that one ?

On 03/12/2019 at 11:11, AntPhillips said:

Just now, Davide Calzolari said:

"up armored" box is that one ?

• 2 months later...

[UPDATE]  Kit is finished - photos to follow

Kit is finished - or should I say it WAS until I was putting on the tracks last night and blow me, they split in several places!  (and I was so chuffed with the finish after I'd painted and weathered them).

This one has been fighting me all the way - I'm damned if I'm going to let it beat me!

It has really put me off buying Trumpeter again - BUT just how much have they changed in the intervening period?  They do a wide range of interesting vehicles and the prices are keen - but if they're still rubbish...

What do folk think?

I forgot to add that the decals all cracked - in fact, one number plate split into SIX pieces!  Boy was that a joy to set right!!

Edited by Alpha Juliet
Addendum