‘Hurricat’ 1/48 Hurricane & Catapult

Gisbod

This is coming along really well,..... keep up the great work.

I bought the similar catapult section for RN Warships and will be mounting my 1/48th Airfix Walrus on it when I can bring myself to rig it!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

This is coming along really well,..... keep up the great work.

I bought the similar catapult section for RN Warships and will be mounting my 1/48th Airfix Walrus on it when I can bring myself to rig it!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony...same here, picked up the main section at Telford, then ordered the extra section from Neomega when I returned home to NZ! My most expensive single item buy at Telford!

Still a lot missing that will have to be scratchbuilt (piston/ram assembly and the end extensions)...looks like I'll be laying in a large selection of Evergreen 'L' and 'H' sections!!!! I do have some 1:48 scale plans (via Ray Rimmell and Harry Woodman) that should help with this. If anyone is interested in copies of these, PM me and I'll upload them to my Dropbox account.

I'll be using the CA Walrus and doing either the first operational airframe as used on HMS Achilles (NZ Division of the Royal Navy) in 1936 (overall silver) or the one fitted to HMS Achilles in 1940 after the Battle of the River Plate (TSS etc). My other choice is the ones fitted to HMS Leander from 1938.

Sorry to hijack Gisbod's camship thread, but seemed the logical place to reply to Tony's post! 🆗

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 3

Little bit more progress... 

I had to build the cradle to get the dimensions for the aircraft fittings before I could proceed further with the Hurricane. The alignment of the parts has to be pretty spot on so the aircraft sits level.

The cradle is quite fiddly and involved but it all fits ok with careful clean up and a bit of TLC! It will be susceptible to any knocks so I’ll have to somehow protect it from my usual cock ups along the line... 

So here’s where I’m at:

49-EF0-C3-A-29-E2-4-BC2-A01-E-9-F19-C788

FD1-C56-B7-58-F5-4-F14-A2-C0-3110334-C1-

FF100748-2-C90-4-CC5-927-A-7263-E92-E0-E

Thanks for looking in.. 

Guy

• Like 12

Very nice indeed,..... don`t forget the pilots headrest,..... shame that wasn`t included in the kit. Have a look at photo of the Shuttleworth Collection Sea Hurri for reference,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed,..... don`t forget the pilots headrest,..... shame that wasn`t included in the kit. Have a look at photo of the Shuttleworth Collection Sea Hurri for reference,

Cheers

Tony

Ah thanks Tony, yes, I would have done!

Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 7:21 PM, Greg Law said:

This is looking good.  Pity it is so expensive.  It would have looked good beside my Condor. 

It’s not cheap at £60 but it is very different!

It’s taking an age because I’ve been away a lot with work 🙄

I've just managed to get a coat of primer on then some distressed pre shading. Hopefully, this will subtly show through the final coat and not disappear! As it’s on a ship, I think the paint would be heavily weathered, and they started off with an old, knackered aircraft as it was only going to have one flight! 

Happy Christmas all...

Guy

B335723-B-6-C2-F-4-EFE-B4-DB-141-E5006-A

6-D7-D4331-814-B-4-F33-BFDF-418-D63-ACA6

D729559-F-4-FAE-4-D67-BD6-D-D3-FA971-E65

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Gisbod said:

As it’s on a ship, I think the paint would be heavily weathered,

Look at the pics.  Seems most were repainted into the Temperate Sea Scheme, and were not tatty, or likely to get weathered.

The part repainted one is an exception that proves the rule

2 hours ago, Gisbod said:

and they started off with an old, knackered aircraft as it was only going to have one flight! 

Not even old and knackered, some were old, but they mostly used as the Hurricane Mk.I was then available in quantity, and surplus, and the cost of one fighter vs protecting a convoy was minimal. 

And, it needs to work, first time, properly,  so it would be throughly overhauled, maintained, and serviced if not used. 

Aircraft only really get weathered if they last long enough, though this is speeded up by climate and environment.   

So coral ialand based Corsairs get very tatty and weathered, a BoB Hurricane that lasted a month doesn't, neither does a freshly repainted and overhauled CAM ship Hurricane, unless it does not get used., perhaps the reason for the part repainted one.

The prepaint if it shows will add some colour modulation, and I'm sure they got salt stains.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

The aircraft might need an oil collection ring too..

Nice work on the Hurricane by the way.  I think it's a really good kit.  Three built so far just about to start a fourth...

• Like 1

Thanks for the input...

I take your point Troy, although the pictures do seem to portray fairly worn aircraft. I’ll try and keep it subtle anyway.

However, I have managed to snatch defeat from victory.. was really pleased with the Sky and Extra Dark Sea Grey but the final Dark Sea Grey I painted freehand and it’s just not up to scratch - to the point of I want to strip it back and start the painting process again.

Any tips for stripping paint? Acrylic Lacquer undercoat and Humbrol Enamel colours...

Help! 😯

Guy

8 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Any tips for stripping paint? Acrylic Lacquer undercoat and Humbrol Enamel colours...

er, paint stripper....

17091_P&$prodImageMedium$

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-paint-varnish-stripper-500ml/17091

I got some of this from Screwfix,  though Homebase sell something very similar (same bottle)  

I tried it on a Monogram Devastator tail plane, with near 40 year old Humbrol enamel, took it off and didn't affect the plastic.  As with everything, test on scrap first...

It's like yoghurt in consistency, and can be applied with  brush,  may need to scrub out of cracks with an old toothbrush. 

Not sure how it will work on acrylic lacquer.  

HTH

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

er, paint stripper....

17091_P&$prodImageMedium$

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-paint-varnish-stripper-500ml/17091

I got some of this from Screwfix,  though Homebase sell something very similar (same bottle)  

I tried it on a Monogram Devastator tail plane, with near 40 year old Humbrol enamel, took it off and didn't affect the plastic.  As with everything, test on scrap first...

It's like yoghurt in consistency, and can be applied with  brush,  may need to scrub out of cracks with an old toothbrush. 

Not sure how it will work on acrylic lacquer.  

HTH

Ah great, thanks Troy, will give it a go!

Guy

19 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks superb, Guy! 👍

Thanks Nikolay😁

So, having been away for a few days, I’ve had time to mull over the paint job and I thought I might be able to salvage what I had rather than strip.. so I’ve gently rubbed the paint down and redone the colours - this time using the masks for the second colour (I did it the other way round last time and freehanded against the hard edges), slightly raised to give a light feather to the edges. So far so good, but I’ve pretty much lost the preshade which is a shame.

4-E0-B533-D-CC25-4792-9-A28-080-FD4506-F

2-D0-F3215-A7-FB-418-C-8696-49-DD364-E7-

I’ve used Humbrol for the temperate sea scheme - as they had both colours listed, and to try out oils for spraying. They spray very nicely indeed! 

Masking the markings next I think.

Guy

• Like 7

So,

I’ve finished the camouflage colours of Dark Sea Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey. Quite pleased considering I was going to strip it back!

2-AE395-D7-847-A-4-E36-BBA9-40-AFB05807-

And made a start on the masking of the insignia:

C212-F1-B5-3-F0-C-4-E21-AB22-9-A0-BD3750

12794619-E945-460-C-BFE3-F500-F3-F469-BF

D8-DBBF84-D017-4026-BBCE-BF8-E2-A78-C959

I’ll post the finished markings up shortly... 

Thanks for looking in.. 😉

Guy

• Like 5

Masked insignia too? This is going to look special. Something so satisfying about the way painted insignia can become part of the hull and take weathering in the same way as the surrounding camo. Following with interest.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TimT said:

Masked insignia too? This is going to look special. Something so satisfying about the way painted insignia can become part of the hull and take weathering in the same way as the surrounding camo. Following with interest.

Thanks Tim, yes, you can’t quite beat them.

Finished the insignia and so far, so good. Next up will be some oils for weathering then a gloss varnish to seal it all in.

4-EB93-A94-88-DD-4078-8-A8-A-388937-A0-F

527-A887-D-8-B6-E-4375-8-EBA-4-D619-BECF

I think I may have got the Codes in the wrong order on the Starboard side?

D51-C5103-CE2-D-4-E01-BCAD-7-E8792-FBE72

37526-AAB-25-CD-4-B40-9-F5-D-5-A717-EF18

Guy

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Gisbod said:

I think I may have got the Codes in the wrong order on the Starboard side?

without a pic, or  another airframe from the unit at a similar time,  you won't know.  There was no fixed order!

I saw a photo of two BoB Spitfire recently,  the codes on the starboard side read XX-Y and the other Z-XX !!! (can't remember exact codes, hope this is clear) only time I have seen it, but this one really confuses until you know.....

On 12/30/2019 at 12:01 AM, Troy Smith said:

without a pic, or  another airframe from the unit at a similar time,  you won't know.  There was no fixed order!

I saw a photo of two BoB Spitfire recently,  the codes on the starboard side read XX-Y and the other Z-XX !!! (can't remember exact codes, hope this is clear) only time I have seen it, but this one really confuses until you know.....

Ah thanks Troy, I thought it would probably be J - NL on the starboard side after I’d done it...

I think the Hurricane part of it is nearly done now, I’ve weathered with some oils, chipping and staining, but tried to keep it light. I’ve sealed it in with an Alclad Matt varnish. I’ve still the breakables to add - flaps, aerials etc, but they’ll be on last thing.

Here are some pics:

E5-AAB64-F-A270-47-FB-8-D42-A5-D0926-C72

9-CE5718-B-A260-4-A11-93-B6-6-AF2-A7-F0-

759-EB5-C1-062-A-4-DC1-8-B1-A-214-A7-F41

AB3-FFF32-50-D9-496-F-80-AF-31-DE650452-

And with the trolley:

6612-F9-A8-3031-444-A-98-E7-FC3-B8-CD54-

BD34-E9-D7-5-A4-A-4189-8-D67-3706-D9700-

AED5-D13-E-6677-4175-80-BE-C6880602076-D

8-AAE0581-AF02-4-C3-E-9545-95-B286-AF73-

Just noticed I’ve lost a girder on the trolley, will find (hopefully!) and replace.

Main part of the Catapult up next.

Cheers & a happy new year to you all...

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 8