‘Hurricat’ 1/48 Hurricane & Catapult

Gisbod

Hi,

Thought I’d share my next project - Airfix’s new tool 1/48 Hurricane Mk.1 and the Resin & Brass NeOmega Catapult.

I saw the catapult at Telford and just had to have it, so I went scurrying round and found myself a Hurricane to sit on it with a few aftermarket items to spruce it up. A limited number of these CAM ships (Catapult, Aircraft, Merchant) were operated with (surprisingly!) some success. Not a plum posting for the pilots I would imagine!

First thoughts on the Hurricane are excellent! I’m surprised at the level of detail already for the cockpit and wings. The gun bays can be opened, but my initial thought is to keep them closed.

The Catapult looks great in the box..

Cheers

Guy

E282-DC29-F2-F0-4-D2-E-9-F2-D-FA7-D48917

AFAB9217-CE8-E-41-F8-A1-CB-AC8-B48914-AD

C212-AC2-D-9-BCF-4-E0-B-957-E-A6791034-A

5-A9-FC8-E9-6320-45-CC-8198-27489-BAEEF5

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 17

Definitely pulling a seat up to follow this if you don't mind. I, like you, saw and bought the catapult from the Neomega stand at Telford as I thought it was a cracking way to display the Hurricane. Great progress so far!

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

First thoughts on the Hurricane are excellent! I’m surprised at the level of detail already for the cockpit and wings. The gun bays can be opened, but my initial thought is to keep them closed.

Hi Guy

Have a read of this, as it deals with the Airfix Hurricane, warts and all. 

Never got an explanation of the paint job here

4281651364_60e29539cb_o.jpgSea Hurricane by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

There are some great photos about showing the Hurricane mounted on the catapult very well.

(I'll see if they are still about)

Also, check what prop you use,  do you have a specific subject in mind?

cheers

T

PS this is the one I had in mind,  note the catapult attachment hatches, and the sealed up gun ports and  shell ejector slots underwing,  and the cover on, and hose into the radiator.  

Pic will enlarge if opened in new tab

03238.jpg

more CAM pics here

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/Sea-Hurricane.html

Note this plane has the Hurricane Rotol spinner,  not in the Airfix kit.

see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Ps Troy, is there a link to that Hurricane review you mentioned?

Guy

here 

forgot to paste the link in :doh:

also..my sig is there for a reaon

EA9-F2-D6-C-8411-45-B4-ACC1-5-CC0-B9-FA0

compared to the above, the photo shows non standard underwing (positions and proportions) and Fuselage roundel, blue ring is thicker than usual.

hur61.jpg

379566961.jpg&key=e686862d9aa0c8b84fa91c

This one has the blunt Spitfire Rotol (in the kit)

HurricatP2921XS-V.jpg&key=b1b732b38462b6

this LU-V

379669644.jpg&key=2fc1e173e5edfc28cb8ec3

has the DH Hurricane unit (in the kit)

IIRC this plane was flown, or to be flown by the late Wing Commander 'Tim' Elkington, who I corresponded with a while back.

I may have a bigger picture somewhere

HTH

PS https://johnelkington.com/2010/02/cam-ships-remembered/

PPS

I have attached a copy of photo of a Hurricane being offloaded onto a barge in Halifax, prior to its transfer to HMS Seaborn. The picture was taken by a CAM ship pilot Tim Elkington, who went on to flying Hurricanes in Russia

hurrihalifax.jpg&key=816036d49450da4dda8

luv2.jpg&key=d2e79dcac04e19decde2a66898f

P3544

more in the linked thread

• Like 3

I’ve been pressing on and the cockpit didn’t take too long to finish. 

The Yahu instrument panel is insanely good and it feels like cheating using it!

There are other areas with photo etch - I only had a set for the Hasegawa Hurricane, but a lot of it was still useable for the Airfix kit 😉

The seat harnesses are HGW and although fiddly, are worth the effort I reckon.

I've closed everything up (fuselage & wings) and the fit is pretty good. I’ll need to tidy up a couple of seams but nothing too drastic.

Guy

66079127-2-DC6-464-A-B349-7-D1-D92986-B4

AECDD8-FD-BD35-4-FF6-8340-BFEF7-FBE5-A93

EA2-A4493-3-F09-4-A4-A-BEC7-CC0-DB469600

AA20-B412-6-C97-44-AF-BEA7-0-FF2311778-D

8-BFBEE82-80-D1-43-A3-8-A24-9-E617-E0-AA

• Like 14

This is a very cool project; definitely got my attention.

I recently acquired Neomega’s not dissimilar section of 1/48 RN catapult, designed for the Airfix Walrus. It looks gorgeous, though I haven’t got further than opening the box yet. Being a contrary sort of git I think I will probably use it for my Tamiya Swordfish floatplane; it will need a bit of adaptation in the cradle, but should otherwise be fine.  It also enabled me to feel safe in donating Tamiya’s beaching gear to @Martian Hale’s splendid Roc floatplane target tug (of which there may well be a photo in the aviator’s dictionary alongside the entry for “parasite drag”!).

• Like 6

There was a description in Geoffrey  Wellum's "First Light" of wooden wedges being used on the Malta-bound Spitfires butit went no further than the fact that a lucky seaman was delegated to hold them in position while the flaps were retracted - and trying to avoid the loss of fingers in the process!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Any pictures/ images of the said blocks? 

just wood cut the right angle.   Hurricane (and Spitfire flaps) are a simple up/down affair,  so setting an angle would  require them open, add block, shut so it sets the angle and holds the piece of wood in place, open the flaps when in flight, block drops out, shut flaps as normal.  

in the links I posted above there are images like this

Sea-Hurricane-I-aboard-a-CAM-ship-05.jpg

Sea-Hurricane-Ia-MSFU-LUB-V6802-aboard-C

Hurrican flap when dropped are open wider than this,  as seen below, so I'd just eyeball the angle from the pics above. 

sh20.jpg&key=0665a5f5fa19b79eb26d97aef88

which is from this very useful walkround 

cheers

T

• Like 5

Many thanks again! 

Yes, the Sea Hurricane at Old Warden is lovely, I went there for an air show last year and got a few pictures...

86371823-E0-C4-4-B7-D-A656-9869-A66-B5-A

7-C894127-1-B9-B-4477-A652-05-E69-BF5438

B83387-E8-0745-4403-AF4-B-A3-C8-FD4-CB11

It’s just about the best airshow for photography! Here are a couple of others...

48554-A09-008-D-46-FB-955-E-C6-D3-B6727-

3456727-F-6009-4050-89-C7-1-F0-AF7-D2776

2475-EF76-D873-4-F51-99-A1-980884-E37-F7

Fabulous day out!! 

I’ll think on the blocks...

Guy

• Like 8

On 11/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, Troy Smith said:

Never got an explanation of the paint job here

4281651364_60e29539cb_o.jpgSea Hurricane by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Salt on areas of the airframe that they couldn’t reach to clean?  Let’s face it, they weren’t going to be too fussed about long-term corrosion, cos they were planning to chuck the poor beastie into the Oggwash after one sortie anyway.

Just a guess.  Great photo, anyway.  Ditching or parachuting into that kind of sea would be dicey at the best of times; factor in Arctic temperatures when people died of cold shock within a very short time of immersion, all the more so.  Those boys were unbelievably brave.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ditching or parachuting into that kind of sea would be dicey at the best of times; factor in Arctic temperatures when people died of cold shock within a very short time of immersion, all the more so.  Those boys were unbelievably brave.

Back in the day I did ditching drills in the Solent in full immersion suits in May time and people were really struggling after 20 mins. There’s a graph somewhere of survival times v temps etc and I seem to remember it being down to a couple of minutes at extreme temperatures.. 

As you say, the courage required to do that is pretty staggering - no immersion suits back then.

Guy

• Like 1

Likewise; wet winching every 2 years, with the Solent, Falmouth Bay, Portland Harbour and the Clyde Approaches all sampled at some point.  And that was wearing a goon bag (definitely not available to WW2 Hurricat pilots!), with a safety boat and knowing that in the end you’d definitely be rescued.  

My Dad told me that when he went through St Vincent for his initial Fleet Air Arm training in 1943 (en route to being a Barracuda Observer) his swimming was OK but nothing more; he asked the Instructor, a veteran of Artic Convoys, whether he could have extra tuition out of hours, and was told “Not really worth it, lad; if you’re unlucky enough to get shot down or sunk, it just takes the swimmers a little longer to drown”.

A Sea King friend of mine ditched in the South Atlantic, where the sea surface temperature is considerably lower than the UK because of the lack of Gulf Stream.  He and all his crew survived OK, but he said that the effect of suddenly entering the cold water literally took your breath away; it makes you involuntarily gasp, which can be fatal if your gasp occurs when your mouth is underwater.  And the Arctic would be even worse.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Likewise; wet winching every 2 years, with the Solent, Falmouth Bay, Portland Harbour and the Clyde Approaches all sampled at some point.  And that was wearing a goon bag (definitely not available to WW2 Hurricat pilots!), with a safety boat and knowing that in the end you’d definitely be rescued.  

My Dad told me that when he went through St Vincent for his initial Fleet Air Arm training in 1943 (en route to being a Barracuda Observer) his swimming was OK but nothing more; he asked the Instructor, a veteran of Artic Convoys, whether he could have extra tuition out of hours, and was told “Not really worth it, lad; if you’re unlucky enough to get shot down or sunk, it just takes the swimmers a little longer to drown”.

The dunker was my least favourite though! Used to dread that every year 🙄

Your Dad sounds like he had a fascinating career! My Dad was a photographer on HMS Eagle in the early 50’s.. I’ve got a stack of fabulous photos of aircraft from the time - Firefly’s, Sea Hawks, Avengers etc 🙂

• Like 2

I was planning on completing the Hurricane in it’s entirety, but the instructions for the Catapult are a bit vague as regards the positioning of the forward spools - the bit that is permanently attached to the aircraft - that slots into the catapult. So basically, I need to build the cradle first so I can be sure of the positioning.

688-C3-FE9-2831-4812-8066-F8379-E00-AE36

Guy

• Like 4

Loving this build so far, keep up the good work.

Its amazing how the Hurricat pilots could fly let alone climb into the cockpit what with walking around with a huge pair of solid Brass balls in the long john department

• Like 3
  • Haha 1