P-61C photo collection

72modeler

I found this link and thought it might be helpful to anybody contemplating a P-61 build in either 1/72 or 1/48 scale. It is one of the two surviving P-61C's, with the other being at the Air Force Museum. None of the C models saw combat. The only surviving P-61B is at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum, and will be airworthy. I post this link because it shows excellent views of the upper fuselage contours, which are the same for the P-61A through P-61C. Hobbyboss has released 1/72 kits of the P-61A, B, and C, but the A model release does not have the correct upper fuselage contours. I hope these photos will be useful.

Mike

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=78

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

There is also the P-61B in China.

True, but it's pretty much gutted and falling apart, and much harder to get to than the other surviving Widows. Too bad the late Paul Allen's group never got their hands on one- it would be flying by now.

Mike

20 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I see the Beijing one variously referred-to a a P-61A and a P-61B, in some places as possibly a P-61C, and with at least two different tail numbers. 

The contents of this link should clear things up. The survivor is definitely a P-61B, as were the other two that were said to be taken over by the Chinese. As you can see by the recent photos, it is pretty much a corroding, rotting shell. If the Chinese hadn't been asking such an outrageous price for the two they had remaining many years ago, they might have been worth saving, but I doubt the palms that would needed to be crossed and the transportation costs would have been astronomical! 

Mike

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13820&sid=47e064dc0afbd83352b9af2de221fa3b

On 11/28/2019 at 10:15 PM, gingerbob said:

There is also the P-61B in China.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:50 PM, 72modeler said:

True, but it's pretty much gutted and falling apart, and much harder to get to than the other surviving Widows.

It is very much alive and is on display at the Beijing University Museum - where I photographed it in 2013....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPuente54 said:

That P-61B looks good to me; at least on the outside. The BUM has done a good job in its preservation. Thanks @Flankerman for the photo.

Joe

Sorta- there are plexiglas panels that have been replaced on both the cockpit and rear positions that I can see, and the outer wing panels are not at the proper dihedral, but appear to have some droop- I have seen photos of this Widow when it was outside with both wings removed and several clear panels missing. The individuals who went to China with the thought of purchasing it wrote that the corrosion was so extensive it was not worth acquiring at any price. (I think there was an article and photos in an old issue of Air Combat or Air Classics on this P-61B.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, at least inside it's getting a little attention and protection from the weather. Would be better if it was able to fly; but, sad that it can't. You , me, Dana Bell, and a dozen others(more actually) on this site could list a dozen different types that are in this good a shape. And, could fly as well. Maybe if I win the PCH contest we could get a new build done. Some guys got a dozen or so new Me 262s built a couple of years ago; we can dream about this. Won't happen, but we can dream.

Joe

• Like 1