1/700 HMS Ithuriel

robgizlu

31 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

The splinter shields are available and I'll get some.

Hi Rob nice choice for the next build have you thought of using masking tape over the rails with an impression of the stiching pressed into the tape for the splinter shields  :idea:

I have seen this used before to good effect and in 700 who is really going to check the number of cross stitch you have on the splinters :hypnotised:

beefy all the best for 2020  :drink:

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 10:59 AM, beefy66 said:

Hi Rob nice choice for the next build have you thought of using masking tape over the rails with an impression of the stiching pressed into the tape for the splinter shields  :idea:

I have seen this used before to good effect and in 700 who is really going to check the number of cross stitch you have on the splinters :hypnotised:

beefy all the best for 2020  :drink:

Thanks Beefy - good call 

On 12/31/2019 at 12:55 PM, Our Ned said:

Flyhawk kits often include "spare" parts - on one of the sprues ("GB04" http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/hms/cl/Naiad-700-fh/Naiad-GB04b.jpg), if you can find one, there are several suitable pieces - alternatively, at 1/700 scale, simple lengths of plastic rod of appropriate diameter may suffice.

Thanks Ned - That is really helpful and I find I have just such a sprue in my Penelope kit!!!

On 12/31/2019 at 1:06 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Rob, you've done a very good job on the ship, a very neat build. I'm also looking forward to seeing Penelope built. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff - Penlope should be along soon - I'm looking forward to trying a Flyhawk kit - it looks tasty

Happy New Year All

Rob

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well this Build was on hold whilst I waited fro some Etch splinter mats

Many thanks to Richard Harden at https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/ who offered to replace the order when it hadn't showed up after 3 weeks.  Delivery in the past has been as quick as 3-4 days from States to UK.

It did eventually show up, and was was worth waiting for :winkgrin:

DSCF9022

They are very natty!!

And Thanks again to @Our Ned for his observations re mats fore and aft at the deck edge which I completely missed in the original photos.

Fitting them was fiddly and I eventually resorted to using matt varnish as glue - it's effective because it grabs and gives you time to re-position

So here's ithuriel nearly finished awaiting a wash over the mats.

DSCF9023

This will be the close down entry and I'll get some pics posted up tonight in RFI

Summary

IBG HMS Ithuriel 1942 British I class Destroyer 1/700:

My first 1/700 build and I have to say that I enjoyed it.  It's certainly small particularly after modelling in 1/72.  I liked the kit which went together without difficulty.

The etch is a minor challenge and the mast certainly benefits from replacement with a truer to scale offering.  "Master" provide cheap aftemarket brass masts and it strikes me that will vbe the one essential "add-on" for kits inthe this scale.

I like the fact that it comes complete - with the etch additions especialy railings being very adequate.  It's great value at approx £14 UK pounds.

Sovereign Colourcoat paints:  

If you haven't tried them you are missing out!  Unlike previous enamels, the do NOT smell and the naptha thinners reduce drying timesto near those of acrylics.  I love them using either arbrush or hairy stick.  Thanks for all the camouflage advice re colours!

Mig/Uschi Rigging:

Is marvellous though pricey.  Quite how anyone managed before lycra elastic rigging is quite beyond me :shrug:

So that's a wrap.

If I manage to gt pics of this tonight - I'm going to claim the modelling equivalent of a Triathlon award as I plan to post up my (finally!!) finished Nagmachon and I posted an old aircraft earlier today :elephant:

I'm trying to clear all my back builds :whistle:

Back to the Vosper next

Thanks for looking in folks 

Rob

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Of what I can see, that splinter matting looks rather nice.

Glad it's not just me! I reckon he's blagging the mats or they are so well camo'ed  they have disappeared :hmmm:

What I can see looks great . . .

Kev

• Haha 2

On 1/28/2020 at 6:48 PM, longshanks said:

Glad it's not just me! I reckon he's blagging the mats or they are so well camo'ed  they have disappeared :hmmm:

What I can see looks great . . .

Kev

Cheeky!!! :winkgrin:

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 6:34 PM, Kris B said:

Looks good. What colour is this rigging - black? Did you painted or it only looks like grey on the photos?

Kris - the rigging is black as it comes - (Mig Ammo via uschi) it's not painted 

Rob

• Like 1

• 1 year later...